loud music in shops

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Smiffy, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Does loud music in shops scramble your brain & make it impossible for you to buy anything?
  2. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

Most of the 'younger' generation's music drives me to near insanity. Payback for my own youth! I can still hear my mother, "Turn that down!"

;)

Chin up,

Kim
  3. orachel

orachel New Member

I barely remeber shopping in stores, at this point. But yeah, a teeny bopper store with loud music would probably send me fleeing.

I sort of am the "younger generation", and the nonsense music drives me insane, too...don't feel bad.

And I have a white noise type machine at home with headphones....has wave noises, forest that sort of thing. Was pretty inexpensive at Sharper image, I think.
  4. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

to the brain-scramble-by-music thing. So glad that it's not just my personal quirk!!!! I haven't been in a mall for ages (housebound) but if I'm having a bad day, I can't have the TV going when I want to use the kitchen. I'll step onto those kitchen tiles, and the second the latest commercial or show hits my ears I go braindead! Even if I knew a minute ago what I came into the kitchen for, not a chance.

I guess we need to be able to 'hear ourselves think'. ;)
    (((()))) Shannon
  5. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

I like bands like Maron 5 and...well...that's the only one I can think of now. LOL! Of course, I like Sheryl Crow and folks like that, too.

But rap and hard rock can take a dive off the deep end of the universe, for all I care.

UGH.

:)

Chin up,

Kim
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I was still weaning off the Klonopin when I had my teeth cleaned. The music in the waiting room nearly put me over the edge.

Also, now that businesses are catering to the kids, the music is just awful in many stores. Not golden oldies, not Muzak type music, not soothing instrumentals, but that pound, pound, pound stuff that seems to put the kids into a trance. I've noticed now that almost all the car companies are using this kind of music in their ads. Yikes!

Let's face it. Even though the baby boomers are the biggest bulge in the population demographics, it is the baby boomer echo demographic that is being courted, the kids about 16 to 25. For some reason which escapes me, they like songs which repeat the same word or short phrase over and over and over, ad naseum. Drives me nuts.

Now I know. I'm finally an old fart!

Love, Mikie
  7. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I know just what you mean. I can be with people, and the music can be loud in a restaurant, and nobody says a word while my nerves are about to blow!

There's a particular Texas steak type of restaurant here in town that plays country music louder than I thought was possible while everybody is eating. I don't even know what I've eaten when I leave.

I find it impossible to enjoy the food, or talk to anyone I'm with when the music is loud. I also relate with you about shopping in stores. When you try to tell this to anyone they look at you like "huh"?

Kinsie
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

of the music they play makes me want to Scream!! I just leave.

I believe I have excellent taste in music by the way.

Rosie
  9. UGH! I had to tell someone in a store to please could you turn the music down, LOUD it was horrible.
  10. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I've gotten to the point where I won't even go into those stores anymore. There are other options available - like on-line shopping!
  11. rbecca47

rbecca47 New Member

loud music, tv, and people to much, loud sends me flying LOL. my son in law is a mucisian. and producer, and wants me to listen to his creations. I politely do. but when my granddaughters sing to me it is fine. LOL you are not alone on loud music, i don't shop anymore.
  12. patientnurse

patientnurse New Member

I agree with what Mikie said 100%. I have really noticed it over the last 2 years. I shop at discount stores a lot and they are the worst for harsh music. They tell me it is all programmed from headquarters in states far away, so there is no stopping it. One restaurant that we all know of because of it's front porch and rockers has the music so loud out there that you can't even retreat to nature!
    And forget about making a cell phone call from inside a store or the mall! The music will drown you out every time. I hate it! Whatever happened to the movement against noise pollution? Certainly this incessant loud music qualifies.
  13. wickett

wickett New Member

Yep, when my husband turns on our tv, it is so loud DRIVES ME CRAZY! Stores too!!!! when I shop I start to get confused. Maybe I will start going to the open 24 hours then I could get shopping done w/not a lot of ppl around. I also have a terrible memory, does that happen to you?
  14. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

That's the reason I had to quit going to Starbucks, here they play the music so loud I can't think.
    Sue
  15. aquabugs

aquabugs New Member

This has been really bothering me for some time but until recently I didn't know it had to do fibro. I love almost all kinds of music (rap doesn't count as music in my book) and when I am alone in the car I frequently have it up loud. But many times when I am shopping I find the music very nerve-wracking and find that I become very anxious and overstimulated I suppose. I have also noticed I get that way when there are a lot of people in a store. Hubby gets worried about me when I just give up on shopping and insist I can't stand the crowded store. I get to the point I have to get out of there NOW.

Take care
    Sylvia
  16. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

It makes my whole body hurt.
  17. orachel

orachel New Member

Milkie, you nut! You're so not an old fart! I cannot stand most (as in the VAST majority of...) top 40 nonsense! Never could, and now that I'm dealing with FM, it literally pains me! Like my pain throbs in time to the music...nuts.

And Kinsey...I'm cracking up over here! I know exactly what chain restaurant you're talking about. It is insanely loud, and occasionally, at one in our town, the staff jumps on tables and starts singing along and line dancing! OY! Insanity! How can people digest in that environment. Plus, here's the kicker....I work at a branch of a large mortgage co (or at least I used to...now on st dis) that is in a shopping plaza DIRECTLY next to said restaurant. Literally...my job and restaurant from hell share a wall. They open at 4:pm, and I used to work till 6pm or 7pm on average. Was so loud, we (and all of our clients!) could hear every single word of every single song thru the walls!

If I hear "Boot Scootin' Boogie" (think that's what its called) one more time, I'm gonna go bananas.

Rachel
  18. spasco

spasco New Member

Drives me nuts! I don't care what kind of music it is either. I can't stand loud noises. If there are crying, screaming kids in a store I feel like I'm gonna jump outta my skin! I bee line it away. I do not do loud noises of any kind anymore.

You're not alone!

God bless! Stephanie
  19. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Thanks for the response all - perhaps we should start a campaign to abolish music in shops & cafes!

20. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

I use loud music to tune out things QUITE often. When my boyfriend starts nagging, or my birds are in an extra talkative mood - I'm the first to turn it up and play the "Oh, I'm sorry - I can't hear you" game.

I hold being 22 responsible for it.

I don't run into too many problems with my parents telling me to turn it down. I'm a sucker for good oldies and classic rock.

I may be hanging on by a thread to my teenage years, but when it comes down to it - it's my 57 year old father that I caught red handed with my CCR collection! No one in my house tells me to turn it down when Mustang Sally is playing! ;)

It also doesn't help that my boyfriend is a custom car audio technician. I have to say though, the bass in his car gives one mother of a massage!!