Lounge #165 Now Welcoming New & Old Loungers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Diane, sorry, didn't mean it's good you're not "here." I was just glad you weren't in SW FL. OMG, the storm was HUGE! The rain, lightening and thunder went on for hours. Glad I was able to clean outside during one of the short breaks in the rain. I did get the freezer done and I took everything down to the dumpster to get rid of it. There wasn't that much to toss; it was mainly that everything was disheveled. I cleaned all the door shelves in both fridge and freezer.

I have one of those clear Lucite glass holders on which you can hang glasses upside down, like in a bar. I washed all of them and they are glistening. I also had to wash all my cooking utensils which I keep in open canisters on my countertops. The bug guy came in and got spray all over them. I have never had him come in before and won't again. That spray stuff is sticky and hard to removed. AACK!!! We all love him but he is a bit strange. We figure he's been inhaling too much of that spray. :confused:

I went in and took a nice nap after I finished cleaning. I could hear people in the pool swimming in the rain with lightening and thunder all around. I used to go warn people against this because many don't realize storms far away can cause lightening strikes. Now, I just figure if lightening strikes them, it's a thinning of the herd. Down here, if one even hears thunder, it's time to come inside and especially, time to get out of the pool. Personally, I think in these peoples' case, there is something wrong in their gene pool. :(

Today, I have to go to the condo mtg. It's usually outside under the pool house covered area. Storms are still coming up from the South just offshore. Afterward, I want to pick up more hangers from Bed Bath & Beyond. Want to stop at Wal-Mart for their BOGO on Deep Woods insect spray. Also, want to see whether they carry the foam dumbbell weights for working out in the pool. If not, I can make my own. I'd like to stop at Michael's to see whether they still carry the cuff bracelets onto which you can glue a stone. Andy bought me a beautiful blue stone that looks as though it has glitter inside. He got it at some museum up in Atlanta.

I want to stop at The Skinny Pantry for more of their millet/flax bread. They can't call it gluten free because wheat products are also produced in the same factory. I haven't had a problem with it and it's good. They sell brownie chips, made in my old hometown, that are almost as good as the ones in the supermarket, just more expensive. So far, Lactaid is doing it for me. Think I'll make my oatmeal cookies with my gluten-free flour when the kids come down.

I haven't felt this well nor had this much energy in ages. I have to wonder how long these food allergies have been sapping my energy. I'd guess at least since I started having digestive problems after eating. I'm sooooo glad I found out what was doing me in. I just finished my flax buds cereal with blueberries and strawberries and Lactaid whole milk. It was delicious. The flax buds are good fibre too.

Hope this strange, and dangerous in some places, weather evens out to more normal for this time of year. Everyone, stay cool and safe.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am sooooo sorry! I only read Diane's post at the bottom of the first page and missed the ones from you, Sunflower, and from you, Granni.

Sunflower, I'm sorry none of your creative ideas have deterred the connieving possum. They and raccoons are the ninjas of the small wild animals. We have one young single woman who never cleans in front of her door. It's disgusting. She appears to be a clean person. I think she believes that her dues should cover anything outside. We don't have the money to pay someone to clean. Heck, Barb and I do most of it ourselves up on the balcony. I have cleaned in front of this woman's place a couple of times a year when I can't take it any longer. Think I'll just hit it with a high-powered spray from the hose. She complains about ants coming in. I told her it's so thick with cobwebs outside her door that she is providing a buffet for the ants. When I do sweep in front of her place, all kinds of icky things fly out. AACK!!!

We don't know much about Simon. Our guess is that he wasn't originally feral but that something very traumatic caused him to distrust humans. He loves to hang around us as we talk to him and he hangs around with Tweety and Sylvester. He just won't let us get too close to him physically. We do know that someone dropped T&S off when they were kittens. They were in bad shape. Jeff said he would take legal responsibility for them. The rest of us feed them and give money toward their vet care. We consider them to belong to the whole neighborhood. Their home base is Jeff's next door but they have a second home in our bldg. They will go out to greet the dogs they like when the owners walk them. When out bldg. inspector was leaving, Tweety rolled on the sidewalk and bared her belly to him for a rub. He was as enchanted with her as we all are.

Granni, glad your BP is getting better. Mine has gotten better over time as I've been taking my pills for it. In fact, I was able to drop one dose, from three to two. The BP/heart med I take at bedtime (generic of Cozaar) helps boost the BP med and helps prevent strokes and heart attacks. Everyone in my family, except for those who died in accidents, died of massive heart attacks. No warning, normal EKGs and BLAM, out of the blue, the big one. It's not a bad way to go if that is my travel intinerary to Heaven.

ProHealth sells a green drink I like. It mixes with water. Of course, blending something fresh is even better. My celery suffered the same fate as yours and yesterday, when I cleaned out the fridge, it went in the trash. I hate to waste food. Barb and I both do but living alone, it's not easy to eat enough, if you want variety, before it goes bad. Sometimes, we buy food and split it between us.

I wish you could have some of our rain. We've had five inches in only a few days. There are flood warnings in our whole county. It's not supposed to stop til Thurs. Oy! I've always wanted a kayak; may now is the time. Speaking of what I want--my old Oster steamer started to leak and I had to toss it. I couldn't find any like it; it was all clear plastic except for the base. My neighbor brought his over for me to see. It's just like my old one. I went online and found one like his on sale on Amazon. I had forgotten that I had a $50 gift card with them so my new steamer is basically free. Yahoo! Gotta love a bargain! This new one is even better; it has two levels so one can steam two things at once. My old one was a single.

OK, the sky is black and the rain is coming down in torrents again. I don't know whether we will have our mtg. or not. It might be in someone's condo. I'll have to check. The rain will not deter me from shopping, though. I need some things.

Again, sorry for missing y'all. Love, hugs and prayers to everyone.

Love, Mikie
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Mikie - Hope you don't float away after all that rain, Did you ever get to have that meeting for your condo? Almost dinner time but just read your newsy post. Yes, I love a bargain too !! Glad you had that gift card. Yay ! I love it when I don't have to pay much. Grew up always trying to save so I guess it is in my blood. Mom and Dad didn't have much but did have love which was the most important. Sounds corny but its true when I hear from others of their childhoods. My mom had an awfully hard life which is a very long story both parents died when she was little and she came from what was then CZ.

Diane - Hope you are doing OK. Oh I think you might have mentioned that Kevin is taking some vacation time.now
    Hope to see you and others soon again.

Love to awl,
    'Granni.
  4. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

OMG Mikie......that's a huge amount of rain. Does most of the rain get saved in wells or does a lot of it go out to the ocean? And I ALSO love a bargain. Glad you remembered about the gift card. Wonder how many gift cards go unused because of people sticking them away and then forgetting. Our here in the west we have Groupon coupons. You can buy something ahead of time (from meals at restaurants, carpet cleaning, window washing, etc. etc.)then you have about 4 months to use it. I'm sure people have forgotten what they've bought.

I'm laughing about your "bug guy" description. Yes, if he's inhaling poisons I guess he might be a little strange. You had things sprayed inside your condo? I'm very sensitive to smells anymore so don't use raid, gave all my gardening poisons away, and basically just use natural products. We have a bay tree that gets white fly quite often so I just send my husband out with clippers to cut everything off. A few years ago I had bought a neem oil product to spray. My husband mixed it up wrong and all the leaves were oily. I had to go out and hose off all the leaves.

That's incredibly dangerous for people to be in a pool during a storm. Go figure!

Granni. I like celery but it's been a long time since I just ate it plain. I guess it's a veggi that we should eat but just don't except using it in cooking. A few weeks ago I bought an organic bunch.....I was going to use my juicer, so I cleaned them all up and put them cut in a bag. I couldn't believe how quickly they turned brown so guess I won't do that again. Tried to save time and ended up have to toss the whole bag. I HATE WASTING $.

Well, here it is 90 plus temps and our air conditioner just blew. I called the service people who sold it to us 7-18-03.....they will be here to look at it on Monday the 8th. I checked the warranty. I'm hoping and praying that it's a compressor which is insured for 10 years, that's just 8 days from the end of warranty. In the mean time I guess it's going to be use the fans and sit in wet clothes in front of them.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, guys, it's finally stopped raining all the time, just little rainstorms and then it quits. Weather showed there are still storms moving our way. Everywhere in FL, there are retention ponds, drains, canals, swales and lakes to handle the sudden downpours. That is what our lovely little pond is for out back. It has a lighted fountain in the middle. It's hard to think of it as something practical when it's so pretty.

Granni, they cancelled the mtg. I just called the mgr. and asked her to sign any checks I have going out to pay our bills. I got other condo business done, which feels good. I grew up an only child of a single Mom and we did OK but didn't have money to waste. Since I have almost everything I need, I usually only get personal care items and food. Now and then, I get things for the condo. I'm so excited about the steamer. There's nothing like steamed fresh veggies. It does rice beautifully. I make rice pudding with what's left in the steamer because it also has a bowl insert.

Sunflower, the spray they use down here is supposed to be safe inside but I just don't like the idea of it. This is the one and only time I'll have it done inside. We have to have it sprayed outside quarterly. If there is an infestation of ants, I'll have him spray an extra time. He never remembers when he's supposed to come so we set up a schedule. For some reason, he's big into the Equinoxes and Solstices, so we have him come on those months on the 21st. We could have a big company do it for the same price but we like to support the little guy whenever possible. We have had no cockroaches (knocking on wood). In fact, I have fewer insects than when I lived in Denver. We had black widow spiders there. Yikes!

I hope you can get the A/C fixed under warranty. They are sooooo expensive. I need to call and get a maintenance checkup for mine.

Well, kids, I had better shut down my computer. I've been going strong all day, almost like I'm on speed. I don't know whether it's the diet or what. I'm not used to having an abundance of energy. Wish I could send rain and energy to anyone who needs it.

Love, Mikie
  6. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Not much going on here. I had a terrible drop in N-R-G about a year ago. Now with my
    bad back, I am doing even less. Would need negative numbers to make a chart. Poor
    Gordon has to do just about everything on this ranch plus take care of the invalid (moi)

Mikie, I never heard of a retention pond before. But I could tell right away it has something
    to do with a retainer. My guess is that if your retainer doesn't fit right, you will have a pond
    of saliva in your mouthscape. Right?

I looked it up to make sure that was right. (It is.) Turns out there is something similar
    called a detention pond. No doubt something to do with staying after school.

Glad to hear that you had a burst of energy and got stuff done.

Sunflowergirl, may I call you SG? Wears me out to type long names. We had sunflowers
    for years at our old place. And, we also had wildlife that came around to eat the kibble I
    put out for the feral cats. Included were raccoons, skunks and possums. Never saw a possum
    at the current location (we moved 2 miles) until last night. It was finishing up the kibble
    in Zippy's dish.

I took it some Vienna sausages. Well, like pigs, bears and people, possums are omnivores.
    But it only ate half of same. Reminds me of what Hitler said in his bunker as he saw
    the Americans advancing on one side and the Russians on the other. "Vienna a terrible
    mess here, Hermann."

Granni, did you hear that Mr Celery got arrested. Got caught stalking a saucy tomato.

Rock
  7. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Rock....you're quite the dry wit guy....I enjoy that. You can me SG, Sun, Sunflower (or as Paul Simon sings in one of his songs), Al.

Don't worry about leftover sausage.....he'll be back tonight to finish. I've smelled skunks at night where we live but have never seen one here. When we first moved here there was a family of raccoons climbing a big pine tree next to the house. I heard a noise and switched on the spotlight.....they're big! And......can really be a nuisance.

A friend left his door open at night and was upstairs on the computer. He heard some racket downstairs and wondered what his cats were doing. Came down and found 4 raccoons in his house into everything.....he scared them and they peed all over. Had to have everything cleaned. He never ever left the door open again.

I hate to admit this but I leave the sliding door open at night while watching TV or sometimes during the day. We have disappearing screens and one of our cats has found she can walk right thru them, doing damage. I have to retrain myself because she's also brought in snake lizards which scare the bejeebers out of me. I've bought 3 wooden baby gates that fit for the sliding doors and I'm being diligent about using them. "Rats".....Clair the cat says......"she's back to that old trick!"

Mikie: Don't you have recluse spiders there? We have lots of black widows and also the brown widows. That's why I'm so vigilant with my white vinegar/dawn mixture. I hope Florida is finished with the rains. I know Arizona, Texas and the rest of the southwest and west wishes they had some of that water. You probably aren't troubled as much with insects because of the equinox dude that sprays outdoors. Do you help manage the condo complex?
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Gang,

Rock, you're in rare form. No detention for you because you've managed beautifully to retain your sense of humor, which makes me laugh. Just as long as we don't have to pay a retainer fee to keep the jokes coming. The wildlife which bothers me the most is the crows and jays that swoop down and eat the cats' dry food out on the balcony. The wind chimes have had no effect on them. Right now, Tweety is sleeping on one of the chairs so the birds wont' come down for a snack. They're messy and crap on everything.

I sat out there with Tweety cause I felt I deserved a gin 'n tonic. We sat under the eaves in the rain. It was so peaceful and I love it when Tweety wants to spend time with me like when she was a kitten. I hope Simon stops by for dinner; I'll leave the bowl out til dusk. I have to bring it in then to keep the possum out of it. Possums' saliva smells horrible, like musk, and I always end up having to wash the bowl out to get the smell out of it. AACK!!! Simon didn't show up for breakfast this morning. I worry about him.

I feel guilty talking about my newfound NRG because I know so many are suffering the same bone-crushing exhaustion I have suffered from. The only thing I can think of is the combination of the peptide injections and change in diet. I pray for healing and NRG for everyone. If this keeps up, though, I'm gonna kill myself working too hard. I have to remind myself to pace. I did a ton of shredding and recycling old paperwork and cleaned the front bedroom, I use for an office, because my DGS, Andy, will be sleeping on the convertible loveseat. I dusted everything, vacuumed and am running the fan and air cleaner in there. He has allergies.

Sunflower, I think the brown recluse is now everywhere. My doc got bit on his hand but recognized the spider and went to the ER for ABX. His hand healed before any tissue started to die. He was lucky. I have never seen any kind of spider inside here except a daddy longlegs kind which likes to come up through the plumbing into the tub and shower. I never put on shoes without looking inside because that's where the brown recluse likes to hide. I think whatever Equinox/Solstice Bill Sprays keeps all the nasty critters at bay. I feel bad when a gecko runs in because they always hide and end up dried up and dead. I vacuumed one up in a corner today.

It's strange down here. Everywhere else I've lived in condos, there is only one assn. to run the whole place. Here, we have an umbrella assn. to which we all belong. They take care of issues which affect the entire place, like landscaping, pool maintenance, etc. Then, we have individual assns. for each condo bldg. or townhouse cul-de-sac. I am the secretary/treasurer for our bldg. In the summer, I have to deal with it all but I keep in contact with my other board members by phone. We make decisions together. We try to save our assn. money by doing things ourselves when we can. We have one unit in foreclosure so we have to economize because we receive no monthly fees from that unit. The biggest thing I have to deal with is insurance but I have an excellent broker to help me.

We do most of our own maintenance in the winter, when it's cooler and the other board members are here. Right now, I am dealing with familiarizing myself with FL's new laws which affect condos. I have to stay up to date. We have a mgmt. co. which helps a lot too. I like doing it because it gives me a chance to make a difference in the lives of the people who live here. They have a safe, well-maintained, attractive home. We all pitch in when someone needs something, not just in our bldg. but in the whole neighborhood (our FL Family). When the weather isn't so brutal, our Balcony is everyone's favorite place to hang out. Even the dogs automatically stop here on their walks because their people are probably going to bring them up for some spoiling. We keep treats for humans and animals alike.

I am going to attempt to make a gluten-free angel food cake. I got the mix and some of those egg whites in the carton. I'll put some strawberries on it. I can experiment on my family when they get here on the 6th. The cats are taking well to Lactaid milk instead of cream. I plan on also making my oatmeal cookies. Only thing I don't like is having to use Crisco instead of butter because of the dairy thing. Everything else in the cookies is healthy. I'll be using gluten-free flour with the oatmeal. I'm looking forward to experimenting. I really don't feel deprived. My brain fog is even better. I wonder how many peoples' symptoms are food related.

Well, once again, I've written "W&P." Think I'll get back to my gin 'n tonic. Mmmmm! I'll drink a toast to everyone's health and happiness.

Love you all,
    Mikie
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids, I'm going to go start a new Lounge.

Love, Mikie
  10. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Hi Mikie,

Just popped into the Prohealth Forum and found that it has changed again. Trying to get a feel for it. I mostly hang out at Lymenet these days. I'm doing 90-95% better. I'm still on abx, but adding some strong herbal formulas (Byron White's) as well.

How are feeling these days? The last I read you were taking some special injections? Did they work for you? I hope you found some relief. I know you had tried working outside the home, but that was of limited duration.

Hopefully, I can find my way back here again in a few days to see your reply.

Wishing you the best,

CherylSue