Lounge NO. 77 Sunset Strip

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Jun 23, 2011.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Kids

Waitin' around for Gordon's car to be fixed. Something went clunk when
    he parked last night. A puddle of some fluid under the car. Power steering
    fluid maybe.

Anyhoo it was towed to the garage, and now we are waiting for a call to
    say it's been restored to health. Very likely the call will come while
    I'm in the midst of this fascinating post. Ain't that the way things
    work in this life.

Stopped at the supermarket on the way back from the garage. Place wasn't
    very busy, but they only had one checkout line. Four do-it-yourself machines
    were recently installed. We used it once. It works fine. But more jobs lost.

I remember when ATM machines were new and some teller was urging me to
    apply for a card. I said, "Why are you encouraging the use of a machine that
    will replace you?" She looked at me like I was crazy.

Here's a "classic joke" my brother sent me. (I never heard it before.)
    A guy complains to his wife. "You're always pushing me around and talking
    behind my back."

Her response: Remember, Dear. You're in a wheel chair.

Well, I hear Gordon on the phone. No kiddin'. Must be the garage or his

2. spacee

spacee Member

I was thinking ahead for something that went with 77 and nothing came to mind.
    Sunset Strip! Of course!!

The joke was cute. They now sell 'wheel chairs' on QVC. Only they call them 'medical
    transport chairs'. I think they are not as sturdy as the regular wheelchairs and therefore

I didn't know the tornado tipped over the freight train. WoW...right place, wrong time.

We are getting some thunderstorms here. Nothing dangerous yet.

A woman standing next to me at the Y class noticed my orange painted toenails. She
    said that she painter HER toes that color just yesterday but didn't like it and took the
    color off. I said that I didn't like it either...which is true. It's way too light of an orange
    for me. The woman too.

The woman is my age, has been seriously working out, changed her hair color and her eye
    glass color and got some real tan and looks so nice. I have been exercising, changed my hair
    color, and my eyeglass color put on a fake tan. It doesn't do anything for me. Darn.
    That's life.

I have to go read The Road Back Foundation. It's a treatment for systemic illnesses like
    sjogren's and other autoimmune illnesses. A high school friend told me she is sick and
    wants to know something that will help her. Don't we all??? Would we be here if we were
    well? Maybe on a "well Chit Chat Board".

Later Gators.

3. spacee

spacee Member

Is where the expensive seafood goes that isn't sold on time.

It is sold to the Hog Farm!

And the bakery goods are sold to the Chicken Farm!

A friend from high school called. She is ill and wants to talk to me about it.
    (She left a message). I sent her an email saying "My day starts at 2pm and I
    take appts to talk to one person a day.

That sounds pretty rude. But it is all I can do. I told her to read The Road
    Back Foundation. So we could talk about it.

It's hard being ill. Isn't it?

4. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Got off the Merry-Go-Round and decided to sit on the bench and watch awhile.Not depressed or sick just resting.Feels good to do that.No return emails and contact with family not living here.

Shame about your friend Linda.I think your reply is genius.

Lucky hogs huh?I love seafood but developed a shellfish allergy.I ignored it as long as possible without hosp. but it got to bad to ignore anymore.Boy I hated to give that up.

Hope the car fix isn't to $ but that is never the case.

Eye Dr. tomorrow and dentist cleaning Mon. still lots more appts. to make.I just want to sit on my bench.

5. rockgor

Just came in from watering the orchids. Uff-da!
    It's hot out there.

I did a lot (for us guys) today. I also washed dishes and peeled
    potatoes. Gordon is going to make oven fries when he gets

Pam, good luck with your appointments. I hate having
    any kind of appointment. The odds are I will forget it or
    sleep though it. And my sense of time is gone. I never
    know what day or date it is.

Linda, why are you talking about wheelchairs? I used to
    handle claims for a wheelchair manufacturer here in LA.
    Can't remember the name, but it was supposed to be the
    biggest in the country. It was Something & Something. About
    the only injuries they ever had to the employees was someone
    would get burned in the plating room. I think the steel
    had to be chrome plated. (The injuries were generally minor.)

Which reminds me of another wheelchair story regarding
    liability insurance. A biker got hit in the usual fashion. He
    was driving down the street. A motorist, not seeing him,
    threw a left turn in front of him. Ouch! Broken leg.

So after some time in the hospital came the day for the biker
    to be released. His girlfriend rented a wheelchair from our
    insured, a medical supply business. As she started to
    roll him down hill to her car, the rubber grips came off the
    wheelchair. Another exciting ride for Mr. biker who wound
    up at the bottom of the hill with, you guessed it, another
    broken leg. Thus are comedy and tragedy frequently

6. spacee

spacee Member

It might have been the wheelchair joke that made me think of the wheelchair on
    QVC? jeje?

I like the analogy. I have gotten off the carosel (of life) and I am willing to sit on the

My phone appt today was with a woman who had CFS. Very disabled. Then she got
    Ovarian Cancer. Her CFS symptoms went away. She has so much energy. She is
    going to visit her 78 yo mother for 10 days and is concerned that there will not be enough house work for them both to do. The mother is very energetic too.

Reminded me of a true story. Years ago when I was well, a friend of mine had a woman
    come up to her in the grocery store. "I am from another country and I am being held here
    against my will by my daughter and her husband". And that was true. So my friend took
    her home with her and arranged for her to go back to her country. This woman was the
    type who needed something to do all the time.So as soon as they got in the house, she
    asked my friend "is there some ironing I can do, I need to stay busy." Fortunately there
    was, and some dishes, and washing, etc, etc. (It was why her daughter was keeping her

I guess that was a tragedy. But not comedy.

Peeling potatoes is hard. I'm glad you were able to do that for Gordon. We had our usual fish sandwiches.

7. rockgor

Pam, you see the eye doctor? You know the joke about the Pole who went to
    the eye doctor? Doc says, "Can you read the bottom line?" The Pole says,
    "Read it! I know the guy."

See, that could be classified as an eye doctor joke or a Polish joke. Polish
    jokes were very popular in the 70s. They used to be circulated on "hard copies",
    i.e. pieces of paper.

Just like a joke about a doctor and a lawyer playing golf could be classified
    in any of those 3 categories.

That's why I didn't know what triggered your wheelchair comment, Linda.
    I thought of it as a husband and wife joke. (Not to mention my mind
    no workee anymore.)

Just got back from a trip to Chinatown. Gordon has an account at the Cathay
    Bank. Cathay is the old name for China. The little tables where you can write
    your checks or whatever have a built in abacus. The date on the calendar was
    6-22. Must be the Chinese calendar.

Made tuna hot dish today. About the only thing I make anymore. I'll have to
    get some Cool Whip and make Gordon some Jello w/ same. That's one of
    the few things I make that he'll eat.

Can't find enough housework to keep busy???!!! Great balls of fire! Or
    maybe, great dust balls! That is the craziest form of dementia I ever
    heard of!

8. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Slight change which is never an improvement is it.Not enough of a change to order new ones.I told him I'll wait another yr. or two.At least he's sensible enough to admit I only need to see him every two yrs. instead of every six mo. to check my eyes due to a med I'm on that can but rarely does cause damage to eyes.

A lady came yesterday to quote a price to paint the inside rooms.Amazing to hear what it costs to do something I always did myself.I'm worth that!Lucky she won't come until Oct. I'll worry about it then.

BIL called and wants to come over today to pick something up.This is the SIL who was rude and I don't want to be bothered by them.I'll leave it to huz to handle it.I really don't care to hear an apology or fake small talk.The fact that she felt she could speak to me that way is unforgivable.
    I'm not interested in creating drama I just don't care enough to have those people visiting me in my home.I'm polite when we see them visiting FIL but don't want to be close anymore.

9. spacee

spacee Member

I can hardly figure out what I meant when I posted. Sigh.

We have one couple here in town that sound a lot like BIL and SIL. They are just so rude,
    I can hardly believe it. We used to see them somewhere about once a year. Now we
    never run into them anymore. Thankfully! Ppl can be so hurtful.

Run into them, reminded me of Rock's wheelchair joke. Yes, I do remember Polish jokes.
    Now we rarely hear them. I hear a lot of Obama jokes. Oh, and blonde jokes. I should
    post some.

Pam, please think about your eye exams. I was going every two years. Then brother had
    a retina detachment. He says I should go every year. So I will. I've lost so much, I would
    hate to lose my sight.

Ichatted with youngest son last nite. He was so happy. He had spent the weekend cleaning
    his apt. Now that is an acorn that fell right off my tree. I loved house cleaning....and he has
    never seen me clean house. Got sick when he was 1yo. His roommate has been gone for
    a week. I bet he will be thinking....Yes! What a roommate! Son even bought new curtains.
    hahahaha. (His brothers wouldn't have noticed the dirt).

One more appt for Pam. Rock, hope the energy to cook keeps up. Though you might run
    out of things Gordon likes. I heard on the news that it was 68 in LA last evening. Lovely,
    I think! Me, I'm sleeping a lot these days.

10. rockgor

Just finished watering the orchids and doing the dishes. I also pulled a lot
    of volunteers outta the orchid pots. Mostly crab grass and succulents.
    It's amazing how hardy plants can be if you don't want them in your

I apparently brushed against something venomous. I kept looking at my
    wrist because it felt like it was cut. But there is nothing to see; not even
    a rash.

Put some oinkment on it. Anyhoo it's refreshing to have something that
    is temporary. Most of us have so many danged things that are chronic.
    Enuff to make one feel like Walter Cronkite. (Krankheit is Deutsch for
    sickness, I read.)

You're right, Pam. The slight change is always for the worse. I did have one
    good experience w/ my eyes and treatment though. About 15 years ago I
    had cataract surgery. My visions improved so much I no longer had to wear
    glasses, which I had worn for 45 years. Now I just need reading glasses.
    Still, my vision is slowly getting worse. Oh well, it was great for a while.

Well, good for your son, Linda. A moderate amount of cleaning is essential
    to a gracious lifestyle. On the other hand, one doesn't want to turn into
    a compulsive cleaner like my mother. She wanted to clean up all the dirt in
    the world. My father wanted to drink up all the booze. No wonder 3 outta 4
    kids are serially dysfunctional.

Gordon is planning to make broccoli soup tonight. I told him to hold off.
    Yesterday he made enough potato salad for a picnic.

Well, better go before this goes Poof!

11. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Huz told me this morning to expect the house to be tore up until Oct. or so.I already prepared myself for that.I always kept up pretty well with housework.I think it was because growing up our house looked like a dirty ashtray.Mom had more important things to do with her day like drink.Mom liked to pride herself on our home looking lived in.

I've been craving salads lately.All different kinds.I bought an avocado to cut up for mine.I love those.I think tomorrow when DS is off I'll offer to buy Chinese food.We have a buffet that is pretty lame but I like their egg rolls.Can you tell I'm hungry?

Sun. huz and I played hooky from all the work around here and went to the bookstore,out to lunch and a lumber co. to look at wood floors.Told BIL we wouldn't be home and decided not to lie so good excuse.

Be careful of that bite Rock those things can get infected real easy.I always get a reaction and end up on an antibiotic.

Thanks for the advise on eye appt.Linda.I'm just so glad not to do it every 6mos.Maybe meet in the middle.
  12. spacee

spacee Member

Pam's mother and Rock's father....They might have made a good couple.
    I love that saying. Mom liked to pride herself on our home looking lived in.
    Never heard it before.

Yep, my parents like cats and dogs too. I think they got married cause they didn't know
    anyone else who was single and they were getting older...for those days. Dad was 30 and
    mother 25.

An email friend has just developed OCD. You know that obsessive compulsive disorder.
    Her therapist told her it was because no one knew what was wrong with her and the
    stress cause it. Hello? If someone has a lupus rash on their face, my guess is that they
    have Lupus. One of the big CFS docs told her "not to go chasing rashes". Hmmm.

Finally had a good day. Have slept a lot the last three days and didn't talk on the phone
    today, so I had a bit of energy to dust and straighten. I hadn't had the energy to do
    anything at all for a while. So it was a nice change.

Ok, will start a new post for the next part.

13. spacee

spacee Member

The only Medical Therapy Clinically Proven to Produce Long-term Improvement &

RA, Lupus, Juvenile RA, Fibromyalgia, Scleroderma, Spondyloarthropathy and other
    forms of Arthritis.

Not sure why they didn't include Sjogren's cause I think it belongs with the others.

(this is me talking, not the book). Even though the clinical trials have been done, they
    don't seem to be teaching this in medical schools. It's pretty simple. Take minocycline
    twice a day for either 2 days a week or three. It's hard on the stomach so if there is
    a problem switch to Doxycycline. And you continue until your labs go back to normal.

There is enough in the book to warrant buying it to take it to one's doc if interested.
    But most of the 308 pages is like a novel of the man's life and the trouble it has taken
    to get this therapy studied.

I got my book at Amazon. I'm not peddling the 'cure' but do want you to be made aware
    of what's out there. You know ...like the high fructose drinks we like to get from McD's.
    hehe. I took the Doxy but not long enough. It did bring my ana down a good bit but I
    stopped before it was normal. It didn't change how I feel at all. FYI

That's my public service announcement for this month!

14. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Sounds like an interesting book thanks for sharing.Still can't shake my soda addiction which I know is not good for me.

Huz called this morning to tell me about gossip going on in our neighborhood.He talked with friends as he drove out this morning.Silly stuff really but it was funny to hear.Somebody has a trailer parked in their side lot and some neighbors don't like it so complained and someone was having a bonfire so got turned in to Fire Dept.Just neighborhood silliness.We mind our own business and don't get caught up in stuff so to hear this is going on under our nose is amusing to the two of us.

We put up a fence when our neighbors built next door.For the dog and privacy too but our neighbors hate it.They put up a shrub right in the front on their property line which blocks our riding mower from getting through our lg. gate to backyard.We go to the other side which is a sm. opening.Not very neighborly of them but huz says it's their right.At least not next to a barking dog huh Linda?
  15. spacee

spacee Member

When you have some that you get along with, you hate to see them move. That is
    in our case...you hate to see them build a house right next to yours!! I can see why.
    It's particularly hard when you are used to having the privacy. That wasn't nice of
    them to plant the bush.

We don't know what is going on with the house next door. For quite a while there would
    be ppl looking at it. Now, nothing going on. Maybe the mortgage company went bankrupt?

Yes, I happen to have a soda right now. I have cut back so I am happy about that. It's
    can be really hard to do. Iced tea has taken it's place. It used to give me migraines but
    doesn't seem to do it now. Fingers crossed.

Today is middle son's Bday. As I sang Happy Bday into his message machine, I couldn't
    remember if he was 33 or 34. I hope he thinks that is funny...never know. I had one
    of my *middle of the nite* wake ups, only it was 7am...but still middle of the nite for
    me. They get up at 7am so maybe I was the first!!

We are going to Jax for the 4th tomorrow. I hope my sleep *thing* cooperates. I can
    go a week and sleep fine, then the next week is up and down.

I'll let you kids know!!

Happy Birthday to the USA!!

16. rockgor

Gordon is at the bank. We have already been to the
    chiropractor and Trader Joe's. Do they have T. J. where
    your are? I looked it up one time. I think their stores are in
    about 7 states.

Neither visit was a success. The bone cracker didn't show
    up. I got some bad pepitas at T. J. so they have to go
    back. (Pepitas are Mexican pumpkin seeds. They don't look
    like our pumpkin seeds though. Maybe from a squash or
    a gourd.)

I'd look it up, but I don't do so much of that anymore. Forget
    everything w/in a day or two. In any case, I'm not paying
    $6 and some cents for somthin' that kant be et.

Pam, "a house like a dirty ashtray". Very colorful simile.

What is Jax, Linda? Back in the 60s there was an elegant
    restaurant called Jax in Minneapolis. Took my mother
    there once.

Gordon is going to see the chiro this afternoon. I am not
    up to it. Going back to bed w/ a good thriller. Maybe I'll
    try my smoked Gouda from T.J. Hmmm, Hmmm, Gouda!

Bye (tugs on ear)

17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Don't know if this group is open to anyone but I just wanted to tell y'all my experience with Doxycycline. Many of you know I was on it 2 1/2 years, pulsing off and on, for my mycoplasma infection. I have since developed Sjogren's Syndrome and it has really put me into flares of everything. My old Herpes-Family Virus, of unknown strain, has returned and I'm back on the Acyclovir. When I pulsed off of it, the old mycoplasma infection tried to rear its ugly head so I was back on the Doxy for ten days. So far, it seems to have done the trick as I got it early.

I know that it can take time for a pos. ANA with Sjogrens and I'm wondering whether my neg. ANA had anything to do with my taking the Doxy. My sed rate was within normal range but it was high for me. My CRP is quite high. I'm still running a slight temp so cannot start the peptide injections. Between my car and air conditioning repairs, I may not be able to afford them for a while. But, I digress...

I just found the connection between minocycline/doxycycline interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Love, Mikie
  18. rockgor

Of course the group is open to anyone and especially to you. I believe the
    only requirement is that you must own your own socks or know someone
    who does.

Spacee started this group last year for those of us who don't gots the
    pep to do much. We had several contributors, but some haven't been
    here for a while. Some days we can't do much. Those are the good

Come back and visit again. We'll leave the light on for ya.

19. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

The more the merrier Mikie.

TJ maybe in Columbus,Oh. have to ask DS.He said it has every kind of food and is amazing so I bet it is.Are those seeds spicy?

We've been back and forth working at home and visiting FIL at Nursing Home all weekend.I'm glad several DS and DD are visiting regularly to make sure he's taken care of well.

Drywall guy is doing the half bath wall and touch ups in the house before the painter comes in this Fall.It will be a brand newish house.We won't be in a hurry to retire and move.We've been here since 94 so it needs sprucing up.

BBQ chic tonight.I made pot. salad and deviled eggs.

20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for the warm welcome. I do own socks; I hope there is no requirment to actually wear them (I live down here in the tropics :) Also, I have NO energy.

Love and hugs to everyone.

Love, Mikie