LOUNGE NUMBER 176

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bct, Oct 15, 2013.

1. bct

bct Member

Is anyone still lounging? I am!

I have lounged since my flu shot, except for a three hr. roundy to get my carotid arteries scanned. All good, no change. "See me in six months".

The weather has been nice here, but we really, really need rain. Our well has run dry, so everything is more difficult, as you can well imagine. (Is that a pun?)

The leaves are gorgeous -- crabapple gold, maple yellow and red, and the low light makes all shine. When we were in Eureka for my ultrasound I saw fuchsias growing six feet tall on a fence entangled with blackberries. Also Princess Flowers were in full rich purple bloom (I think they are called Tibouchinia, but too tired to look it up).

Richard has gone to town. I wasn't up to it. I've put marrow bones on the shopping list for Shorty and kiwi berries for myself. Kiwi berries are a different species than kiwi fruit which are brown and fuzzy and the size of an egg. Kiwi berries are the size of aa small grape, have a greenish-brown skin with no fuzz. They sell them in those plastic clamshells in the organic section of our grocery. I like strange fruit. Am craving fresh litchis (lychees), but haven't seen any in a long time. That is one of the problems of living out in the sticks. I get dried white mulberries and goji berries too, at our local health food store. Also sheep cheese -- delicious! (but expensive, alas.)

We had a small earthquake --4.9 --the other day. No damage except for a small crack in the living room plaster. More startling was the large thump on the roof this morning. It turned out to be a large tom turkey that then landed a few feet from the front steps to pick at grain that I thrown out for the small birds. Well, Shorty sure had a good time chasing the turkey until it flew into the forest! Most amusing.

I am getting SADs again. My Lexapro . Does it help? I don't know. Aaa I'm feeling grumpy! 'Nuf said.

Love to all,
    Barry is Blue :(

I

2. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

Barry sorry to hear you are feeling blue.....I had a lot of blue depression for 10 long years from 1991 to 2002 when I got on the Armour thyroid.....and then later on in 2006 when I found how depleted my Vit D tank was....so went to work on that issue.....I don't feel blue or depressed, but do have chronic body pain......and sadly resigned to it.....it doesn't make me feel happy, but I'm not depressed.

Loved your turkey story....talked to a friend and she just got back from whole foods with a bunch of turkey backs and other parts and making a nice turkey soup...think I'll hit WF's tomorrow and do the turkey soup.

So you had some shaking up there, that is always on my mind down here, but so far we've been OK.....jam
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, so nice to see a new Lounge.

Barry, I envy your colorful fall. It's been fall down here but the days are still hot and humid. It usually doesn't change til after Halloween. I am so sorry you suffer from SAD. When I lived in CO, I used to visit the tanning salons just to get some UV's. Later on, I got my own bed. Those light boxes were just coming out then. It's almost always sunny in CO but in the winter, unless one is outside, one doesn't get the UV's. Do you take vitamin D? Even down here, I feel better when I take it.

When I was in Hawaii, we played golf. The "rough" on the golf course was Kiwi plants. When they say, "rough," they mean rough. I lost my ball in a Kiwi patch and took the penalty instead of wading in to find it. Sending up a prayer that you feel better.

Jam, glad you've avoided the shakes. So far this year, we've dodged the hurricane bullet. My UTI seems better but the flu-like bug has come back to make another run at me. I have diarrhea but if my breakfast stays down, I'll feel as though it's on its way out, no pun intended. Getting my renal ultrasound on the 25th and my cystoscopy the first of Nov.

I posted over on the Porch. I've been offline for about three days now so no way I could catch up.

My love and prayers to everyone.

Love, Mikie
  4. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Barry: Love your description of the colors up where you live. I had to look up that town and saw beautiful pics. Never been up there but it sure looks like a wonderful place to live. I'm sorry you're suffering from SAD. My son who moved to Portland actually had the opposite. He hated when it was sunny here and found he was depressed and loves the rain and dreary weather of Portland. And yes, sun makes some people react that way.

Jam: Nice to see you posting here.
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Hi Awl,

Thought I would pop in since I haven't been doing much posting for awhile either.

Mikie - I hope you get better soon. Your weather is sort of like. TX and you never know what you are going to get in October or maybe Nov. either. Warm one day and cold or cool the next. We have no colors yet either. Yes, we have dodged the hurricane bullet too. That is a very good thing, for sure. We don't need another IKE. Glad you will be getting some tests done.for your kidneys and bladder with all your peeing problems. I know how bad that can be. Hope you get rid of that darn flu bug soon.

Barry - Sorry you are feeling blue. Hope you get out of that soon. That was scary with that earthquake. Glad it was only a small one. Those leaves and all sounds so pretty. Lived in NY and was born there) so I am used to the fall colors but haven't been visiting in a long time. Have been gone for over 30 years when DH got transferred with his job. That was funny about that turkey :)!!

Sun - I can't believe that your son got depressed in sunny weather but enjoyed the rainy weather. Not me for sure but I guess we are all different, aren't we??

Jam - Hi there , I know what you mean about resigned to the pain. I think I am like you as far as depression goes. I don't think I ever was actually depressed" but I am so sick and tired of the pain. I think for me it is more like a frustration !! Do you have a good turkey soup recipe ? It's getting to be that time again.

Almost time for beddy bye so need to start getting ready.

Hugz to awl,
    Granni :)
  6. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Folks

Sorry you are a blueberry, Barry. If you fixed shoes for a living, you could be a blueberry
    cobbler. Yes, "well imagine" was pun although not a terribly deep one. Loved your description of the fall leaves. I've only seen spectacular autumn scenery in two places. Minnesota and New England. The difference is that Minnesota is rolling hills and New England is all hills and dales.

But despite lots of hills, New England doesn't have much in the way of mountains. The
    tallest is Mt Washington in New Hampshire which is about 6000 feet. That's about half
    the height of Mt. Hood which I generally visit when I travel to Oregon to see my
    brother the Forest Ranger. Somewhere I have postcards and what not from the bus trip
    of New England that Gordon and I took in 1990. Mt. Washington is on one of them.

Remember the hit tune from the late 1960s? L'amour est Bleu.

Blue, blue, my world is blue

Blue is my world, now I'm without you

Grey, grey, my life is grey
    Cold is my heart since you went away.

Mikie, hard to imagine a golf course w/ kiwi as a hazard. The village where I grew up
    had a 9 hole golf course. The only hazards were sinkholes. And there were several.
    We kids used to hunt around in them for lost balls. I think the golfers paid us a dime @

for them.

Oh yeah, regarding the font, I type the entire post in the standard size. When I'm all
    done, I do the first half of cut and paste; then hit 5 on the font chart. That make
    any sense?

Jam, can't imagine buying groceries at Whole Foods. Too pricey for me. Last time I was
    at one in the San Gabriel Valley salmon was on sale. And it was
    still $17 a pound.

SG, I've been to Portland many times. Seems to rain every afternoon for a brief period.
    I asked my brother, "Does it rain every day here?" He said, "Well, no, but it seems
    like it." I never heard of people having the opposite of SAD. I don't suppose you can buy
    special lights to make things darker.

Granni, do you have earthquakes in Texas? Let me look. OK, you had a medium
    sized one in the 1930s. About the same time there was a big one here in Long Beach.
    W. C. Fields was filming a movie at the time. You can see it on Youtube. The
    chandelier sways and people look around and then walk off the set.

So do you have a New York or a Texas accent. Or a musical blend of both. It's funny.
    After I'd been away from Minnesota for a couple decades, when I went back for a
    visit I could hear the Minnesota accent. Here I always thought accents were what other
    people had. Ha ha!

But the important thing to remember, as Johnny Mercer put it, is to
    "Accentuate the Positive".

Rock
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Loungers,

Sunflower Girl, funny you mention reverse SAD. In Denver and here in FL, our sunny days are like a Technicolor movie. When I went to So. CA, the sun seemed yellowish and flat. It depressed me. Y'all who live there probably think it normal, which it is for CA. A lot of sunny days in the Carolinas are like that too. I'm not sure it would depress me now. I had SAD in CO in the wintertime due to the short days. The sun shines more than 300 days in CO, same as here in FL. Can you get a light box? I hear they help.

Granni, I think a lot of the time, our weather is very similar to yours. Our nights are beautiful but it's still too hot and humid during the daytime. Seems strange but, almost every year, right after Halloween, our beautiful, balmy winter weather arrives. My pee has been a beautiful thing to behold for several days--clear as can be. A few flu symptoms linger but I'm having some good days, even though I'm still tired. Hope we both continue to avoid hurricanes and any other "acts of God." I wonder whether that makes Him angry that we use that term. I prefer to say, "acts of Mother Nature."

Rock, I thought I was the only one who had figured out how to outsmart the font glitch and posted about it on the Porch. Great minds... Speaking of great minds, I liked your puns about Barry's becoming a cobbler. I'm not sure it would last. Cobblers have to deal with a lot of heels but they do get to save soles. As long as they keep instep and toe the line, I guess they are OK.

Diane, glad you, Kevin and kitties are well. My last two DMV license pics have been great. I couldn't believe it cause I'm definitely not photogenic. My pic on my license to carry makes me look like someone who should not be able to be around guns :) It's more like a mug shot. I guess people and animals secrete pheromones of all kinds, depending on our moods. A few years back, one could buy pheromones to wear, like perfume, to attract the opposite sex. They were "sex pheromones." When cats feel safe and calm, evidently, they emit a calming pheromone. They have figured out how to make a synthetic version. I plugged the new one into the outlet on my lanai last night and Tweety was much, much calmer out there. When they came in, they were wild. I had to threate Tweety with the water bottle squirter. It never lasts long and they are now passed out on the loveseat. Both are neutered but one or both must still secrete sex pheromones. Sylvester will sometimes try to mount Tweety, the little incestuous pervet! I make him stop and Tweety slaps him and looks at him as if to say, "What's the matter with you?" Go online to DrsFosterSmith.com and request a catalog. They sell pet supplies soooo much cheaper than in the stores. From now on, I'll be ordering the cats' pheromones there.

Think I may pass out mysef to catch up on some sleep. Just heard that sleep clears toxins from the brain. Extra sleep helps with Alzheimers. My brain feels very tired, even though I think the UTI and flu are gone. Too much to handle at one time. Sweet dreams and happy days to my beloved Online Family here.

Love, Mikie
  8. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hello, Friends

I am having a bowl of raspberries for breakfast. The are fairly tart. Had to add some
    sugar. I remember picking wonderful berries in my yute from neighbor's gardens.
    They didn't mind. Would like to try some of the exotic fruits Berry dines on. Barry,
    how long does the SAD last? What do you do for it besides Lexapro?

We went to the library and the market last night. Typical LA traffic, i.e. terrible. On the
    way home, Gordon said, "Oh, I wanna show you something." After walking around the
    library and the supermarket, the only thing I wanted to do was get home and lie down.

What he wanted to show me was a strip mall clinic three blocks from where we used to
    live. The clinic sign included a Green cross with arms of equal length (a Greek cross).
    Gordon said, "It's a marijuana dispensary. You can tell by the green cross."

Just imagine the symbol for the Red Cross only in green. Remember a few years ago when
    Johnson & Johnson got into a legal battle with the Red Cross? Both use the same symbol. Last I read the the Red Cross won and the case was on appeal. Maybe they've patched things
    up. Or at least applied a band aid.

Glad to hear you are feeling better, Mikie. Those pesky problems been hanging on a long time.

Thanks for the barrage of toe-tapping puns. Reminds me of the finale from "Girl
    Crazy" with Judy and Mickey. They must have had two hundred dancers in that last
    number, all wearing cowboy boots.

Yes, Diane, I've read several books by Jeffrey Deaver. Just took a bunch of paperbacks to the
    library last night to donate to the book sale. His "The Blue Nowhere" was included. I read
    several of the Lincoln Rhyme books. He writes great thrillers, but his paperbacks have the
    ugliest author pictures anywhere. Is that on purpose? Does he want to look menacing?

I can't imagine a book with a backwards story. I have a vague recollection of one decades ago.
    Or maybe it was a movie. Can't remember. Anyway, going backwards contradicts the whole
    notion of story telling. Like having people born at an elderly age and growing younger. Hope
    you and Kevin feel better. You want to look good for that all important license pic. Ha ha!

Gotta go
    Rock
  9. sunflowergirl

Mikie: I don't think there's anything to help with the opposite of SAD, that's why my son moved away from sunshine all the time. He would get so depressed when summer came. I think it basically lasts as long as the sunshine.....same for SAD, last all winter long and that's why the special light helps some people. I guess it supplies the whole spectrum of light.

Rock: Is that the movie starring Brad Pitt, I think it was called Benjamin( something)......I can never recall names when I want to! I know Mikie will know it though.

I've been suffering from IBS for about 5 days so don't know if the flu is still hanging on or not. It's so darn hard to remember what it's like to have a good day without something going on.

I think those marijuana dispensaries are popping up all over the place. However, the majority of those getting "legal" stuff end up selling it to someone else. I know a person whose done that for years, helped supply a close person and helped continue his "habit" until he had to go to rehab. It can be very very good for some but a death sentence for others who can't control themselves.
  10. jaminhealth

Turkey Soup, I didn't get to WF's......my friend says she bought some nice turkey pcs
    including backs, sautes the parts first and puts the soup together.....I have no recipe,
    I just add whatever I have and buy a few veggies.....maybe I'll get to it this weekend..

In the meantime, I have a mess with my bank as my checking account was hijacked and
    cleaned out.....I'm kinda blaming the bank, but with online banking today and the smart
    techies, so much goes on, I guess.....nothing like this has ever happened to me.....a friend
    is lending me some money until the "fraud" investigation is done . The bank said they put
    me at the top of the list to get my money back.....

The more this has settled in I'm thinking my bank (with them a LONG time) could have
    caught this before paying out all my money....over $2K.....they called me when a $500 amount
    to a water dept was in question, they paid it with online payment.....I've never had a water bill
    in my life as I own no house, etc.....I own so little but enough to exist pretty well.

My thinking is that so many are more desperate than ever in our economy and are doing
    a lot of fraud with the computers.....I don't bank online and probably write 7-10 checks per month
    so somone got hold of my account number and went to town.....and so much action took place
    the day my social security check was deposited.....it so seems like an inside job.....very stinky.

Anyway, it's been stressful and yes it will be over but in the meantime.....oh brother....
  11. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Oh, Jam. That is such terrible news. I wonder who collected the money if the water dept.
    didn't. I don't think there really is any security anymore. I've lost my trust in banks, the
    government, religious and charitable organizations, big business, the military, and on and on.

I have a savings account and a checking. I figure the money is safer there than in my pocket
    or at home. But who knows. If the bank tells me it's all gone someday, what can I do?

There is a state agency that regulates banks. You might want to see if you can talk to them.
    Be sure to keep a notebook and record all your conversations with whom, date, time, content, etc. Stick any correspondence you get on same in the notebook. Never know. Might need it someday.

I hope this can all be straightened out soon and without too much fuss. Good luck.

Rock
  12. sunflowergirl

Jam. That's AWFUL. I don't see how the bank could have done that. I would suggest "screaming" a bit to the powers that be. You're lucky a friend is going to help you out.

About a month ago we got an email notice on suspicious activity on a card I've never even activated. An electric bill for over $600 in NY city. Took a bit of time to get it taken care of, they issued another card, which I've never activated because I don't want it, and now we keep getting notices from the credit card company about it. And about l5 years ago I got a call from my bank, some lady was trying to cash a check signing my name. Wanted to know if it was me....nope. There's fraud everywhere all the time. My daughter is still having troubles from 5 years ago when someone at the hospital got her important info when she was in delivering GD.

Rock: How are things going with the unemployment and insurance stuff?

I have a CD IRA coming due next week and learned yesterday I can just call in to bank to change the time period rather than coming in. Yea. They're paying a whopping .67% and I'm NOT going to tie it up for l3 months anymore. I've been hearing things that interest rates will rise after jan. I hope so. I might as well stick it in a sock!
  13. jaminhealth

I spent some time with asst branch mgr of the One West bank, went to the main office to talk to them...I had
    to make the deposit from my friend....'

The asst branch mgr said in the 15 yrs she has been in banking this is the WORST ever....so many know
    the ins and outs of online banking the stealing others acct numbers....the bigger the bank and more fraud
    specialist they have doing the work, the smaller the bank, the less help for this. One West is fairly small
    considering Chase, BOA etc....they are only in CA, I'm not sure if they are No. Cal.

She went on to say, so many even buy check magnetic stock and make up checks...sounds like big
    rings of this all over.

Of the $2300 in money stolen from my acct, Edison ELectric had a lot of withdrawals, like close to $500 in checks to Edison.....Edison is one utility I have direct deposit!!!!! Mercury car insurance the other...I only do
    2 of my monthly bills. So could it have been someone withint Edison, I'm wondering.

So again, so many out of work, from the very low income to college grads and everything in between,
    and if not out of work, barely making it.....

I hope it's resolved by early next week, I'll get my money back, but what a headache.....

Oh, I've ordered a debit card, I've never used one nor have I used an ATM, I keep such a
    technology low profile.....
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Jam, I am so very sorry for your banking SNAFU. I hope they release your money soon. I talked to my bank, one of the big ones, about security. I'm very careful and have encrypted Wi-Fi but if a hacker wants in, he's gonna get in. I have LifeLock and that helps but it's not foolproof; nothing is. You are in my prayers.

I remember that Benjamin movie with Brad Pitt but can't remember the full title. My brain is even slower to heal than my bod. I've been putting the pheromones out on the lanai and I think it's starting to calm Tweety down a bit. I keep lying in bed longer and longer to try to get them trained to expect to be let in later and later. Of course, I'm still not sleeping later and later but maybe I can if I get Tweety trained. Sylvester is a joy but Tweety is a pill. I love them both but this hasn't been easy nor cheap.

Sunflower Girl, I have mixed feelings about interest rates. I have an ARM mortgage so have been skating by cheaply but it sucks for investment. I put some money in a money market fund so it's not tied up. Pays even less than a CD but at these low rates, it's moot. Hope your IBS/flu is better.

Rock, in CO, so many wear cowperson boots and say they are soooo comfortable. I haven't worn them since I was five. Just not my style. I like moccasins but they are too hot down here. One has to expose one's tootsies to stay cool. All my uncles in NE wore cowboy boots all their lives. All grew up on ranches. I once read about the indigenous people in Australia who went barefoot in the Outback. They grew callouses on their feet which eventually became like hooves. Yikes! And I worry about my pedicure. I file off dry skin and rub my feet with balms to keep them soft. Ha! I'm a Tenderfoot!

OK, Kids, gotta go. Have a good day.

Love, Miki
  15. jaminhealth

Thanks Mikie, hopefully my funds will appear back in my account next week.
    Why does this have to happen to people with less, it's tough for me anyway
    and now this.....this stuff SHOULD NOT happen at all, but it does and is
    going on more and more I hear from the bank mgr...
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Jam, our last landscaper had all his money stolen from his business acct. and he couldn't make payroll. It was a nightmare. So, even he isn't one of us with so little, it still caused him and his employees, who don' have much, a lot of pain and inconvenience. I think the bank ended up giving him a line of credit.

My big post is over on the Porch because I happened by there first. Check it out.

Love, Mikie
  17. jaminhealth

I'm sure the more one talks about their experience, more show up....the frauders
    know "how to do it".... I was emptied out in 2 days, and just when my social check
    was deposited...makes one wonder who knows all this...timing...
  18. sunflowergirl

When I had that problem with an unactivated credit card and questioned how someone could get the #, I was told that there are identical #s at the beginning and they just start putting in #s in sequence for the end part until they get a hit.
  19. bct

bct Member

Hi friends, lounge time again. I have had a dreadful cold, the first I can remember for many years. It seems that when I got CFS the colds all went away..... How strange.

We had our first light frost this morning. Now I pray for rain -- our well is dry-- it is such a hassle to boil all our tank water, and buy drinking. The driest autumn in many years, it seems.

The garden is still fun, with lots of colour. My saffron crocuses are blooming well this year. I'm tempted to gather the saffron but don't want to tear the flowers up. Besides, I just remembered we have some in the spice cabinet. And a crazy plant called Colletia cruciata that I grew from seed many years ago is in full bloom. Google this plant. It's really hard to touch because so spiny. I have cursed it before, but love it now as do our late hummers.

Still in the garden. I bought 100 tulip bulbs the other day. 25 each of 4 varieties. Cost me under $20, so a very good deal (from Costco). Now I have to get my act together and start planting them. I think five a day maybe. One is called Menton. and another Blushing Girl. Also Elegant Lady and Purple Dream. Ahh, thoughts of spring....

The last trip to the farmer's market wrecked me, but I got some nice maiitake mushrooms (hen of the woods) and some farm eggs. These mushrooms are fantastic; wonderful flavour and so easy to saute in olive oil and serve on toast. And speaking of mushrooms, we had scrambled eggs with shrimp Russula mushrooms that I found as I staggered through the forest! Lovely.

Well now I have to brush Shorty and let him go on his apple hunt. I'll have a cup of Oolong tea and think about where to put my tulips I guess....

Still plagued by memory storms.

Love & Hugs to All,
    Barry
  20. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Barry

I hope you are over your cold. Reminds me of the old country western favorite, "I'll be Over
    You when the grass is over me." I tried to look up colletia cruciata, but Google said no
    such animal. I looked up the last word only. Found the star gentian and various other plants.

Tulip bulbs for 20 cents apiece sounds like a bargain. Especially compared to the tulip mania
    of the 17th century when a single bulb might cost 2,000 Florins. (Wikipedia says the reports
    may be greatly exaggerated.)

Is Shorty an apple connoisseur? I found a new author who writes dog books. Jon
    Katz. Perhaps you have come across him already.

I don't drink tea, but I like an old Oolong song from the 1920s.

So long! Oo-Long, How long you goin' to roam?
    Please don't be too longOo-long, so long, hurry back home."

Gordon is just back from the market. Gotta go see if

he got the making for shrimp stir fried rice.

Rock