LOUNGE NUMBER 176

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bct, Oct 15, 2013.

1. bct

bct Member

Hey All (or Few), (Lounge seems slow. But then so does the whole board it seems.)

Rock, I still haven't planted my tulips. Purple Dream is waiting for me, as is Blushing Girl..... Soon though. Soooon.

The fall colours are better and better, with red vine-maples, yellow bigleaf maples, yellow willows, burgundy poison oak, .etc. I was afraid the frost might kill my New Zealand Purple castor bean plant, but it survived and looks great. A really hard frost will send it back to NZ though!

Rock, is it true that you don't drink tea or coffee or eat bananas, or is it just an Urban Myth? I've been thinking about this quite a bit, though I don't know why.....

People are talking about Plumerias on the Porch. I've never seen a really big one in bloom before. Some of the new hybrids have fantastic colours. I imagine Gordon is interested in these, no? I grew one from seed once, but I didn't have the right conditions, and it was eventually lost.

I went to town on Friday with Richard and Shorty. Sometimes I swear I wish Shorty was driving! Anyway, an Exhausting trip, but the farmer's market was on, so I went to it and bought a big kabocha winter squash and a pound of maiitake 'shrooms. I then went to the health food store and picked up some olives that R likes (Castelvetrano if you please; the variety, not the brand.) I got a bag of sweet potato chips with quinoa and chia that were on sale. Kind of bland. I wouldn't buy 'em again. Also got a bar of dark chocolate with chilis in it. Very good!

The coyotes have been howling close. We think they are going after the wild turkeys that were introduced in the seventies for hunting. Now the hunters are the coyotes. My neighbour is frightened for her little dog and doesn't let it out of her sight anymore.

Well, my Blushing Girls are calling out to me. I must get a trowel and .......I think I'll drink this cup of chamomile tea.....

Later, my friends;
    Love to All,
    Barry ;)

2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Barry, your description of your neighborhood sounds really wonderful. Maybe you could take a few pics. and post them so we all could drool!

I think I read somewhere that if the weather slowly gets cold at night the trees make sugar or something like that which turns their color. I'm sure Barry can give us a good explanation.

We have ginko trees on our street and sometimes they're gorgeous but other years they just up and drop everything almost overnight with no gorgeous gold color. It's around 50s here at night and up to low 80s during the day so they're slowly turning and looking beautiful.

OK.....I ordered her latest....I think....something about the last all female gas station.....Is that it that you're both enjoying?
  3. bct

bct Member

Diane, I wish you could sleep better. What time do you go to bed? I go around 10:30 and read until midnight usually. I wake about six in the a.m. I need an afternoon read/nap every day.

Everyone is talking turkey. I think we're going to do a big fat roasting chicken, with roast brussel sprouts for T-giving. A flock of turkeys is in the front yard now. :p

Sfgirl, if I knew how to put pics on the computer I would.... but I'm a techidiot. Sorry! I love gingko trees but don't see many around here. Are you in Florida too? With your temperature range you must be able to grow a lot of exotics!

I have been wondering what to do with all the persimmons this year. A bumper crop. I am so pleased. This variety is fuyu, a seedless type with relatively small fruits. Last year we used them to make a persimmon/date Christmas cake. Heavenly!

I confess to being a chocoholic. Once again a piece of chocolate got into my bed. What a Mess! :eek: I really like to eat choc. in bed while reading. I know it is bad and wicked, evil, vile, etc. I can't stop. It's too late.

Now I have to have my read/nap. (I have some chocolate -- dark, dark chocolate....o_O.

Love to all,
    Barry

4. sunflowergirl

Barry......I'm in so. calif......probably about 30 min. from Rock as the crow flies. I have 4 angel trumpet trees outside. Is that considered tropical? And since it's hard for me to garden anymore I've gone more succulents everywhere. When my daughter and SIL were married l5 years ago on Kauai I came back wanting more tropical in the backyard. Planted a bird of paradise (the variety that the flowers are almost black with white) it's now huge, breaking off the blocks on the planter area. Our backyard is small, the pool takes up a lot of room, so all my gardening is done in planters and pots.

A friend gave us a bag of fuju a few weeks ago, and they're almost tasteless. Same way with the ones at the farmers market. I'm wondering if it's just a bad year for them down here.
  5. bct

bct Member

Sunflower, you surprised me! For some reason I was sure you were in Florida. Are you sure you aren't ;). Angel Trumpets are tropical enough for me, you betcha. I love all Brugmansias and Daturas . Are yours all the same, or different colours? I used to grow lots of succulents in a small greenhouse I had. Grew a lot of Lithops (Living Stones) from seed. Grew all kinds of things from seed and sold rare plants to nurseries. Those were the days..... I too grow in containers a lot now, but mainly petunias, geraniums, verbenas, and what not. Still a lot of fun though!

Sorry about your bland fuyus. I haven't picked any yet; they're not ripe. I expect it will be a few more weeks. Do you like Hachiyas? I've never had one, I'm embarassed to say.

Well, the rains we were hoping for haven't materialized. Bummer.

I shall now calculate the distance a crow flies in 30 minutes.......o_O

Hugs to All,
    Barry
  6. sunflowergirl

Hi Barry......yes, I love those other type persimmons also. Of course you have to wait for them to get pretty ripe otherwise you pucker up! I used to make a corn cake using ripe persimmons.....basically like a pancake only using more cornmeal. They're also the ones you use for any quick breads. When they get very ripe cut it open and eat it with a spoon.

I have a white, a peach, a double white, and a pumpkin colored brugmansia. Red is very rare. I met a man years ago who had spectacular brugmansia by his front driveway. I had to stop and admire them. He said he was going to Mexico and when he came back he would give me a cutting of the red. Sadly he was gone for more than 2 months and he said it died.

I had one of those living stones......somewhere along the way it got lost or it just died.
  7. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Barry, crows fly about 30 to 35 miles per hour depending on various factors such as, "Am
    I running late." Yes, it is true I don't drink coffee or tea. I used to eat bananas, but haven't
    for decades. I am just posting this trivia so as to be ready to take up twittering or texting or
    twerking. Land O Goshen! I am too old to keep all that stuff straight.

We have shrubs with yellow trumpet flowers in our neighborhood. The trumpets are about
    8" long. Gordon said for years he wanted one. There was a house on Carroll Street (one block
    away) that was vacant for about two years. It had trumpet shrubs on each side of the front porch. I told him to get a cutting, but he never did.

I have been doing housework today. I hardly do anything on accounta my multiple disabagilities, but today Gordon was washing doors and woodwork. So I joined in. I was astonished to find he was working with plain water; no soap; no spray. It's amazing how much dust can accumulate in just 2 or 3 decades.

Yes, SG, it the all girl gas station book. Fannie is one of my favorites along with Maeve Binchy
    and Carl Hiaasen and DaveBarry and John Sandford and E.F. Benson and P.G. Wodehouse and A. A. Milne and Robert B. Parker and Miss Read and oodles more.

I think we have a few ginkgo trees scattered around LA. I used to take Gingko Biloba for
    some reason. Clarity of thought maybe. Did you know Goethe wrote a poem on the gingko?

Have to go lie down for a bit
    Auf wiedersehen
    Rock
  8. sunflowergirl

Rock: I'll have to do a search for the poem. I've often wondered as I'm cleaning up mountains of fallen leaves in a few weeks if I could "munch" on a few leaves!

If that house is still empty or even occupied now where he could just ask for a few branches, they're easy to root in water.

I remember at least 30 years ago we went to some "restoration" fundraiser around Carroll Ave. Beautiful homes. My husband had a coworker who bought one of those beauties and worked for years restoring it.

Gordon sounds like a person who likes to stay busy! Soon your house is going to shine like the Chrysler dome....I think that was a line in Annie......or something like that.:D
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Loungers,

Haven't been here in a while. Like most of us, I've been hanging out over on the Porch. Barry, I'm so sorry about your cold. As crazy as this sounds, catching a cold may be a sign your immune system is becoming more normal and your CFIDS is improving. I just got over the flu, which hit me twice in a short period of time. I almost never get colds and flu but now that the injections have ridden my bod of the symptoms of CFIDS and other immune/autoimmune illnesses, I will likely be more vulnerable to viruses. Dr. Cheney has a wonderful article on the immune system in PWC.

Wow! One hundred bulbs. I used to love planting my bulbs in the fall when I lived in CO and watching them bloom in the spring (if the snow didn't do them in). The lowly Crocus was the only one which would bloom right through the snow. Down here, if we plant bulbs, we have to dig them up after they bloom and put them in the freezer and replant them. I love lilies but they don't do well in our sub-tropical climate. None of the flowering bushes I love bloom down here. Instead, we have our Ixoras and Hibiscus. We can grow orchids inside or outside so we are not without nature's beauty; it's just a different kind. I miss the fall color changes.

So good to see you posting.

Love, Mikie
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

OK, this is weird. When I came on this thread, only Barry's post showed up. I missed the others so am adding another post. I would have edited my other one but then, I can't scroll back up to read.

Sunflower Girl, sadly, I am totally ignorant of the plants you posted about. I'm glad your plants give you so much pleasure. I sometimes wish I lived where we could grow more than just the usual tropical stuff. I would love to redo an old house on a stately old street. I must have lived in such a house in another lifetime.

Rock, we have trees which bloom with beautiful yellow trumpets. We also have trumpet vines which produce pink trumpets. It was either Erma Bombeck or Phyllis Diller who said that housework was useless. She said, "You have to vacuum, mop, wash dishes, do laundry and dust and six months later, you have to do it all over again." I'm glad Gordon is keeping busy. It's better when not working to keep one's mind off of the situation and, in the end, you get a nice clean house. I would love to paint Gingko leaves, some of the most beautifully shaped leaves I've ever seen. I won't be painting anything until I get this mess cleaned up. Too bad y'all live clear across the country or you could send Gordon over to my place to clean.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

Love, Mikie
  11. bct

bct Member

A quick hello. Beautiful day here, though a bit chill it is sunny. The wind comes up and whisks away the apple and cherry leaves. Golden snowflakes.....

Sun, I envy you your collection of Brugmansias! Four different ones. I wish I could see them! It's interesting that you mention the red one, B. sanguinea. Oddly enough it is the only one that you see in Eureka (my county's seat, on Humboldt Bay). I read that they like mild temps and don't like heat or dry conditions. Foggy and mild Eureka seems to suit them. I can't grow them because I'm inland about fifteen miles from the coast, and in a cold micro-climate to boot. They grow a lot of Tibouchinias there too; the princess flower. Do you know them?

I still have a few petunias (volunteers) hanging on, lots of geraniums in pots, and TOO many potted plants in the sun-room, period! I have already culled some recalcitrant Hoyas, and an orchid infested by scale. If a plant makes me feel bad looking at it, off with its head! :rolleyes:

Rock my man, sorry you are down. Is it SAD? :( Thank god for books and libraries. And music and colours in flowers. And things that taste good. They all help me, and probably you too.
    I'll be starting Wodehouse soon. I think Richard has read everything he has ever written -- and that's saying something!

Gotta go. Computer just told me I had to Adapt Something. Will let R. deal with it!

Love to All
    Barry
  12. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Diane

As soon as I read "house is going to shine like the Chrysler dome", I thought of "Annie". And here's a kawinkydink for you. Gordon and I went to a library in Glendale that I used to visit a lot in days gone by. Even had 12 step meetings there. Anyway, after being away for several years. we went back a couple days ago. Found a CD of a new (2013) Broadway production of "Annie". Great to hear the old songs again. And they sound even better because the orchestration is lighter. Doesn't cover up the little girls' voices.

Oh, yeah. The line is something like, "I want this dump to shine like the top of the Chrysler
    Building." Once the tallest building in New York, it is still one of the tallest. Read about it
    on line. The Chrysler Corporation did not own it. Chairman Walter Chrysler did. He wanted
    to leave it to his kids. But over the decades, it's had several owners.

Hi Barry, nope, don't gots SAD. Gots lots of depression though. Had it since childhood.
    Lots of therapy, etc. have improved the situation for the last couple decades. I've read
    just about everything by Wodehouse, but one can never be sure. He lived to be about 90
    and wrote about a book for every year. Hard to keep track of them as many were published
    with different titles in England and here.

BTW, I read the Brits pronounce his name "Woodhouse" rather than our "Wodehouse". That
    right? And, of course, he wrote great lyrics. He and Jerome Kern and Guy Bolton (book) used to turn out great musicals.

The newest Kern-Wodehouse song I've discovered is The Enchanted Train. (Couldn't find
    it posted on Youtube.) It's from "Sitting Pretty".

Mikie, ginkgo leave always remind me of those fans on the end of sticks. The kind you
    see being wielded in old comedies. Haven't thought of Erma for a long time. I thought when
    I first saw "Erma" it was misspelled. Still prefer "Irma" as in "My Friend". Did you ever
    read her serious book "I Want to Grow Hair, etc."? A Heartbreaker.

Have never seen any trees with trumpet flowers, but the shrubs we have here get pretty
    big. They often have 80 to 100 flowers. We do have our nearby park ringed with trees
    that have yellow flowers. Don't know what they are and couldn't find them on line.

Hugs to all
    Rock
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Barry good to hear from you. Like you, if a plant makes me feel unhappy, I have to get rid of it. Fortunately, almost anything which grows inside will grow outside down here. We have planting beds down both sides of our bldg. so we just transplant anything we don't want out there and, usually, it thrives amongst the other plants. Our friend, Jeff, next door did both our garden paths between his bldg. and ours. I found a bird of paradise growing up in one of our arbicola plants and I'm going to try to get it out of there to transplant. They get huge. I love your "golden snowflakes" description. It brings such a beautiful mental picture to mind.

Rock, yes, the ginkgo leaves do look like those fans. They have such graceful curves to them too. I visited the Chrysler Bldg. when I was in NYC. Even the elevator doors are art deco and beautiful. Of course, we visited the Empire State Bldg. but it was the Chrysler Bldg. which I thought was more beautiful. As far as identifying trees and shrubs, I'm lost. Down here, so many bushes and shrubs can also be trained into becoming trees. We do have trees with yellow flowers and trees with yellow trumpets. Our Cashia tree has clusters of small yellow blooms which attract bees and butterflies. We have a Bouginvilla hedge leading up to the pool gate. It's blooming in lavender and is beautiful. Those can be trained into trees and sometimes, there are three trunks braided together to form one tree. They can also just be a shrub or a climbing vine. The way everything grows down here, it should be a collage of color everywhere the eye can see. Unfortunately, most developers plant what's cheapest and available. We have to add our own color. The African Tulip tree we have is probably the most magnificent splash of bright orange color around.

Gotta go read the paper. Take care one and all.

Love, Mikie