Loungers #7

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by spacee, Nov 20, 2009.

1. spacee

spacee Member

Yes, I agree there are two kinds of people....sorta. Those who like projects at home and those who work out at the gym.

For a long time now I have been noticing two kinds of people...but that one doesn't exactly fit cause their are having to be others. When I think of what I really mean...I will let you know.

Off to Orlando. See you kids tomorrow.

2. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

Spacee, are you off to Disney World?

Two kinds of people. hmmm...I don't know about that. I suppose I'd be one to undertake projects at home. Never was a gym kind of person. I always have projects started around my apartment. I like to always be doing something. Jole, just relax and take your good time, and you'll get all your projects finished. There's no hurry.

I am sooo drowsy today. I made a medicine change a week ago, and I'm feeling the side effects of the new drug. I could just sleep all day. But, I'm trying to push through. It is a beautiful breezy, chilly day and I was out shopping for a bit. Bought some Christmas decorations and candy for my candy dish. Walked thru the Thrift Shop, but didn't find anything that I cannot live without. And, paid the cable bill. Hey Rock, I paid a bill. Did you?

I saw Our Town many years ago on PBS television. I cannot remember the story behind it or who starred in it. I hope there are some good shows on TV for the Christmas season.

Victoria, I'm sure you are enjoying your time with your son. So nice he can visit you. Do you celebrate Thanksgiving in Mexico?

I'll catch you all later. Best wishes to all.

3. spacee

spacee Member

I'm with you, very sleepy. In fact, it has come to my attention that without meds, I can't wake up. Hmmm. Odd. I use NADH in the am and ritalin about 4pm.

No, no. I might could make Disney on a gurney! :) Then I would still need two pairs of sunglasses and earplugs. My son and his family moved there in August. We have a one year grandaughter! So, any reason to go and visit is ok with us. Orlando is a temporary stay for them so we are soaking it up while we can.

I hope everyone is getting their rest this weekend. I know I am trying. We got 3 phone calls from "private caller" at 2:30am. Well, the telephone co. makes call intercept for calls like so now we subscribe to call intercept. It scares you to get calls like that cause you think something is wrong with someone.

Off to nitey nite.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Yup, Fay, got my bill paid. It sat beside the computer all day. Finally, after
    my nap, I was able to get the job done. Mailed it the next day.

It was for car insurance. I'm wondering how much longer I should drive.
    My next birthday I'll be 70. Driving in Los Angeles is extra hazardous.
    Half the drivers can't read signs in English, don't have a license, don't have
    insurance, drive a car owned by somebody in Mexico, etc.

But I got a lot done today. Mostly because Gordon drove me around. We
    went to the chiropractor and the supermarket. Then I went to my Emotions
    Anonymous meeting while Gordon ran some errands. Then home to nap
    all afternoon.

So you're going to Orlando, but not Disneyworld, Spacee? What's your grand-
    daughter's name? I think my son was 3 when we first took him to Disneyland.
    In those days you could go for 10 bucks @. That covered parking, admission,
    a snack and a souvenir.

There's an upper class market here in my neighborhood that is located on the
    site of Disney's first studio. I read a book by one of Disney's first animators.
    He said Walt sometimes would pawn his car so he could meet the payroll.

What a change!

5. jole

jole Member

Been "down under" the past week or so...not sure what's going on, but need to get a doc appt. Seems my meds get caught in my throat and won't go down until they disolve...not good! I also feel like something's there all the time, and my FIL died of esophageal cancer so I worry about it.

Also my heart has been acting up more, and my exhaustion is much worse...of course it's so hard to tell what's these DDs and what's not, isn't it? Think I'll give my doc one more chance before I move on to someone new. She just doesn't seem to "get it" when it comes to FM/CFS.

Disneyworld!! Our son/wife/kids took us with them shortly after I got sick. I debated about going, but decided to try it. My son rented a scooter for me, and I practiced a bit around the condo we were staying.

Well, I found out really quickly that Disneyworld is 'way too crowded for this uncoordinated lady. Honestly, the rest of them had a lot of fun, but I didn't. Was very confused, and panicked in the crowds. I couldn't walk good enough to go into the places where all the rides were, so sat outside by myself. Did enjoy the sunshine and watching people.

Finally I told them I'd go ride around the World Village and meet them back at a certain spot at 4 pm. You guessed it....I got lost! And cell phones didn't work there for some reason. So I sat and waited, and at 4:45 my son found me. He wasn't upset, but his wife was, as was my hubby. So no going anywhere for me after that...lol...

When we were at Cinderella City, my grandson was so tired of walking that he finally stood on the edge of my scooter. We did fine for quite awhile, then suddenly I hit the speed control and tipped the scooter over...haha. Scared my son to death. Plus the place was so crowded! By that time they were all disgusted with me....and I was totally embarrassed and mortified! Nope, I won't go back!!!!

The next day we drove about 3 hours to a beach...man-made with white sand...don't remember the name of the place, but it was absolutely beautiful, and I loved it! Sat there in the sun watching the grandkids make sand castles and bury each other in the sand.

Walked the beach a little hanging onto hubby and picked up some seashells. And the kids found a long stick, jabbed it in the ground, tied their shirts to it, and made us a "Survivor" camp. I had my camera and have some wonderful pictures of that day. The next day they all went back to Disneyworld, and I stayed at the condo and slept all day.

That was my one and only time to the beach, and I now know why some people could live there. I wish I could. I felt sooo much better near the water and with the sun.

By the way, Rock, $10 will get you nothing there now. Probably not even a burger..lol....Jole
  6. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Jole,you brought many memories back with your experience in Florida.A couple yrs. ago we went with son and family and I was in a wheelchair for the first time.I never felt so helpless.I had a view of thousands of behinds.That's about all I could see in the throngs of people.
    I love the beaches.I get sick in the sun but love to see it at sunrise and sunset.Love the ocean waves rolling in,the sound of the waves and the peaceful feeling I get.A lot of my family is in Florida and we'll retire on some land we have in Central Florida.No more Disney though.
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

So sorry you had such a hard time at Disney world Jole. We went there years ago before I got the crud and out kids were small. We camped and then went to the beach. Everyone had a good time and we camped in our trailer at that time. Glad we went before the crud attacked me but I amnot a great person for all those rides anayway. When we went they did not even have Epcot center yet. I think they were just building it and almost done.

Could the beach have been in Destin. Fl? I forget exactly where it was in relation to Orlando but it must not have been to far. It was gorgeous and we even took some of that white sand home which we had for years. Who knows where it is by now.

Soirry some of you have had such a hard time on your trips with crowds and such, I don't particularly like the crowds now either but I am still walking, thank God. Sorry that some of you had problems in navigating the crowds in DW and other places. That has too make it so hard on you, while everyone else is having supposedly having fun.

Our Nursing class reunion ( you do not want to know the year) is supposedly going to be Disney World again, in 2011.. Some of us are not thrilled with the idea but we might have to go to see each other again. Groan !

Jole sorry you have veen having these problems but do have them checked out sweetie when you can. The earlier the better and will make you feel better to when you know even if all is well.

Hugs to you Jole and to everydobby else,

8. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

It's been a peaceful Sunday afternoon. I rested in bed all afternoon because my Fibro. is acting up. So, like you, Georgia, I was lounging around today. Hey, they don't call us "Loungers" for nothing. Right?

Spacee, Disney on a gurney! Me too! My grandkids have been there several times. I couldn't do it on a dare. But, they love it. I always give them some spending money when they go. That's all I can contribute.

Jole, Sorry you've not been doing well. It's a good idea to see the doctor about the pills getting stuck. It could be something that can easily be corrected. I hope so. What a nightmare your Disney experience was! God bless you! Glad you survived that all. At least the beach memories are good ones. Glad you got good photos. My son-in-law is a professional photographer, so I have lots and lots of good photos of the whole family. I feel blessed to have them as taking photos doesn't come easy for me. Maybe because I never had a really good camers.

Hi Renigar. I get sort of sick in the sun too. The beach isn't my cup of tea because I don't like the sand or the sun. I'm a mountain lover. Give me the mountains over the beach anytime.

Rock, it's a hard decision as to when to give up driving. For myself, I'd be giving up alot of my independence. But, you have public transportation in the city and that is something to think about. Of course, if Gordon has a car that helps too. You'll know when to hang up the keys.

I hope everyone has a nice Sunday evening.

Bye for now.

9. victoria

victoria New Member

A friend and I took our kids, collectively (we each had 2)... what an adventure. I had a coleman camper (slept 6) and reserved a spot in their campground... we pulled it with my full size van. Great trip down, but we got lost, finally pulled in at 1 AM! Everybody there, needless to say, was asleep. Until we pulled in at least.

LOL I'm a terrible driver with a trailer, my friend was whispering 'shouts' of what to do, I finally got it squeezed in... then we started to unfold the camper. The stitching on the middle seam of the canvas roof completely & totally ripped out - no chain locked stiches, it just pulled off the canvas all the way around like a ripcord!!!! So in the dark w/flashlights, we tried to figure it out if we could manage at least one night. No way, since the rip was the center seam and no way to hold it together over the frame, LOL, we'd have been totally exposed to everyone.

So we packed it all up and drove out. By this time it was after 2 AM! Not one person stirred outside their respective tents, campers, etc at least.

Well, we really didn't want to see anyone, we felt like morons but were laughing hysterically once back on the road. The 2 oldest got mad at us for laughing, they didn't see anything funny about anything at all, LOL, they were 9 & 10 yo. The 2 youngest 6 & 5 fell back asleep almost immediately. We found a hotel for the same amount per night (tho we got 2 rooms, so it was 2X the cost -- but SO much more comfortable!)

Next day we took a taxi as we got up late and missed the motel's free transportation - taxi driver told us we were lucky we hadn't been there the prior week as there had been a pediatrician's convention in town, and Disney had to shut their gates at 10 AM every day!

Well the week we were there, there was hardly anyone there - we totally lucked out - never had more than a 3-4 minute wait ANYwhere, and the weather was beautiful (mid-March).

That said, we also went to Universal, we all ended up liking it better... that was about 1998.

I love the ocean too at sunrise & sunset... hmmm, that melody is starting in my head from Fiddler on the Roof;

... sometimes I wish we'd moved to the coast of Mexico, but it is sooooo hot/humid. At least where I am there's no real need for air conditioning.

Ranigar, how long of a drive is it to either coast in Florida?

Linda, yes, we're celebrating Thanksgiving but not with turkey.... its the get-together that counts more than food, right? LOL .... tho I do especially miss pumpkin and mince pies! I've been putting together a 'list' for the day somebody drives down to see us, LOL.

Dried cranberries are available at least, plan on making an apple, sweet potato & cranberry 'casserole'; one store had fresh cranberries a few weeks ago- reportedly- but apparently the other gringos got there before us LOL.

Not much happening... just herxing the days away...

PS: almost everytime I get on this board, songs come into my mind... weird, eh?

PPS: Linda, did you ever figure out what were those kinds of people you were trying to talk about when you started this thread?

[This Message was Edited on 11/22/2009]
  10. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

I didn't see your post yet when I wrote mine. Sorry I missed it. So you are the one who is pilfering the sand from the beach in Destin, Fla. LOL. I thought the beach was shrinking in volume. LOL Good to see your post. Have a nice evening.

11. victoria

victoria New Member

we were posting at the same time, Fay....

Reminds me of an early documentary by Errol Morris (famous now as a documentary maker) --

has anyone seen his documentary "Vernon Florida"? It's a little town in the panhandle of Florida - he interviewed different people there, let them speak for themselves without any narration. One couple interviewed had driven to White Sands, NM, where they were told how the desert keeps growing. She showed off a bottle of sand she'd collected, which she said 'grew' every month or so, and that it had grown by a few inches since they'd brought it back....

12. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

Everyone is posting at the same time. Good to see you. That is a Halarious Disney story! LOL I can just picture you all trying to set up camp and the canvas roof falling apart on you! LOL. And in the middle of the night. hahaha.

Hey, the apple, sweet potato, cranberry casserole sounds good. What time is dinner:)

13. spacee

spacee Member

I have so enjoyed the trips down memory lane about those trips. Vic. I am glad I wasn't with you, though! snicker. Well, the hotel room would have worked out for me!

Rock, Walt and Hubster have something in common...pawning cars to make payroll. We only did it once and the company was closed. Thankfully got another job and stayed put. I could tell you exactly what happened cause hindsight is 20/20. But it's too boring.

When you think about things you have done while ill, do you remember how you felt that day? What I mean is, I have had to go to Disney once sick and I remember using the scooter (crowds were lower then) but I just remember being there but not the sick feeling. I am so glad I don't remember that part.

Now sad things I do remember. Like when Mother died, I made it to the service but had to sleep through the family being together and the pic. taking of the grandkids. That sadness I still feel.

I'm not sure of the year the Disney crowds got so bad but there are so many timeshares there...there must be a crowd most every day.

Hubster worked at Disney the first summer they opened. :)
    He drove the 20 thousand league under the sea ride. He would never recite his spiel for me. The crowds were so low then, we saw someone we knew from town (lived in Orlando then) almost everytime we went. And on Friday nites we could walk right in most rides cause most of the travelers were home resting to leave Sat am.

Rock, hard to give up driving. I have slipped so much in last two years. Age 60 now, certainly won't be driving if I make it to 70! Hubster does a fine job of driving me, thankfully. And we will probably win the Lotto and I will be able to afford all exotic treatments or WPI will be able to cure us and all will be good. Do you think?

Grandbaby's name is Zoe. (suppose to put two dots over the e). When her mom liked Ava. My son drew himself up and said that no child of his was going to have a foreign name. Let me say, he doesn't get his sense of logic from me.

So hoping we have good days manana which will be here when you read this.

14. spacee

spacee Member

have not remember the 'two thing' I used to have going on. But let me make one up. There are two kinds of people. Those who like peanut butter crunchy and those who like it plain.

That is not exactly it cause there are people who just don't like peanut butter...but that is kind of how it goes!

15. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

You know the old joke, Linda. There are 2 kinds of people. Those who divide
    people into categories and those who don't.

Got outta the house today. Went to the dentist cause I had twinges in a
    tooth. The twinges are gone. So is the tooth. And so is its neighbor.

I now have only 2 teeth in the lower jaw. Maybe I won't fix corn on the
    cob for dinner.

16. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

Oh my goodness, Rock! You got 2 teeth pulled? I feel so sorry for you. Take really good care of yourself. You might need to have a milkshake for Thanksgiving Dinner!

I hope all the rest of you Loungers are doing okay. I got groceries yesterday and today am recovering. I did get my computer defragmented and performed a scan disk/error check. But, that didn't take too much physical effort. Other than that and reading the newspaper, it's been a non-day for me. It's 45 degrees and raining all day, so that makes for a bad-body day.

Catch you all tomorrow.

17. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Victoria-It's about an hr. and a half to either coast in Fla. which makes it perfect.
    I'm baking pumpkin pies today and have a small turkey thawing.It will be very low key for the first time this yr.It's weird to not have all the worry and stress of having to cook and entertain a houseful.I love my family but I'm thankful to be able to relax and go slow this yr.
  18. spacee

spacee Member

Rock, that really cracked me up. The people who divide people into categories and the ones that don't. You may be missing teeth but you are very quick! The milkshake for Thanksgiving sounds wonderful to me. Thankfully the kind I like is a hour ride away.

Which reminds me. Ranigar. Are you my neighbor? Guessing not but you must live somewhere in Central Florida...am I brilliant or what?

You kids who know about computers already know this but I will show my ignorance and brag on the NL kid too. He was able to access my computer screen from the Netherlands and fix my computer. I am amazed at this world of tech. we live in. I am so glad that Bill Gates and his wife feel that each person on the earth has the same value as another and they are going to put their abilities to helping the poor, as Bill called them. (On the news they don't seem to use that word anymore).

Poor FibroFay...the only one today in the cold! We will be in the cold by Sat. The 40's Hubster said. Man, I will have to think about what I wear. I don't like that...stresses my brain. Ok, poor me now!

Tonite, tonite won't be just any nite. Hubster made Not Yo Momma's Bannana Pudding. I can hardly wait!!

Enjoy yourselves!

19. victoria

victoria New Member

WHAT is "Not Yo Momma's Bannana Pudding"? Does that mean it doesn't have any bananas?

Hope you're doing ok Rock and can eat something fun tomorrow - not that a milkshake wouldn't be fun but not if you're where everybody's eating other stuff that's good.

Do you remember somebody marketing turkey, stuffing, etc (can't remember the rest) as a bottled 'blended' drink? LOL, I wouldn't be able to make myself even taste something like that, much less buy it.

Hope you're feeling better by tomorrow Fay... and everybody!

IF any of you could have a guarantee to have one or 2 days per year that you KNOW you would feel good AND not crash afterwards, what would y'all pick? Would you take them together or 1 every 6 months?

Low key is best, I'm all for that... that way 'little stuff' doesn't get in the way. TG our friend here likes to cook (used to be a pro chef) so we just pay for the fixings, she does the rest of the work. (This year she actually bought a live turkey from a farm... we'll see how 'gourmet' it is...) Anyway, it works for me in particular! And I don't mind a bit that we're ending up having brownies for dessert :) as it's a treat!

20. jole

jole Member

So the big turkey day is here! I've gone from cooking for 18-20..everything from scratch, to being just the two of us this year, and having ham steaks, instant potatoes, yams from the can, canned veggie, and Mrs. Smith's pumpkin pie..sooo easy, yet still almost too much work..lol...never would have guessed I'd ever be this "lazy"!

My mother was the world's best cook. A few years before she died we had her come here for Thanksgiving and Christmas..she was in her 80's, still driving, and working circles around me. Well, she showed up and it took us 30 minutes just to unload the food from her car...seriously!

She had homemade pies (chocolate merangue, lemon merangue, apple, cherry and pumpkin), homemade chocolate cookies in bags for all the kids to take home, salads, and cinnamon rolls for breakfast the next morning, all for 18 people...and plenty to spare! She loved to bake, and could have made a killing selling her pies/pastries if she'd wanted to. But she baked and gave it away to people in the community who were ill, had a death in the family, etc.

Holidays growing up were never fun because of an abusive dad, but we sure made up for it at mealtime...her way of showing her love for us. That's what I miss...not being able to leave those memories for my grandkids! But they still know they're loved in other ways.

Okay, Victoria, if I could have two "perfect" days per year, one would be on the day our kids are all home for Christmas...the other would be when we all get together at the lake in the summer. They would definitely have to be for my family..especially my little grandkids!!

But a few others sprinkled here and there wouldn't be turned away :). Gee, wouldn't it be nice to be able to turn the clock back to before we were all sick? I would imagine most (if not all) of us took those days for granted. I am thankful that I was able to get my kids raised before the worst of this hit though.

Rock, I hope you get along well with your teeth...having just been through that a month ago with 3 of them. I do have a few more on the bottom than you, but not many, and it really makes eating slow going. Actually, that banana pudding doesn't sound bad...wish I'd thought of that at the time!

Fay, I really understand your cool weather pain. The wind really affects me also. Does it you? I'm already looking forward to spring, and winter's just getting started. Florida does sound good, doesn't it? Or Mexico!

Ranigar, a low-key day for you too....are your pies from scratch? I never was a pie baker. Or rather, a GOOD one. Never inherited that trait, unfortunately.

Spacee, share that pudding, please! If we can't eat it, at least let us in on the secret, okay???

Georgia, Granni, everyone I failed to mention...you're all special!

Wishing all of you dear friends a wonderful Thanksgiving day. Although our lives may not be what we want, we do still have lots to be thankful for, and who knows? Maybe next year might be even better! (We can always dream!) Love ya all!!!..................Jole