Lousy Test Results...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My labs were horrible. My cholesterol is 200 and my bad cholesterol is up and my good cholesterol is down. The doc says I absolutely have to get some aerobic exercise.

I am hoping that now that my knees are better and my FMS is better, I will be able to exercise a little aerobically at least three times a week. He doesn't want me to make any changes until Wed. when I see the cardiologist. Despite the stress test, I recovered in a couple of days. That is much better than I used to be following aerobic exercise, even in my present fatigue flare.

This was a very disappointing turn of events, but it is a wakeup call and I'm definitely going to heed it.

Love, Mikie
  2. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

The doctor told me I need to walk - that is aerobic, not? I just keep telling my self that if I don't use it I will loose it. It sucks though - I know!

Keep your chin up & good luck with the cardiologist!

Kelly
  3. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Did you know that you could get your cholesterol down from using the cinnamon bark capsules that Pro Health store sells? I got my cholesterol down 30 points just from adding the cinnamon. I take 2 capsules before dinner.

I originally took the cinnamon to try to lower my blood sugar, but never really saw big results with that. But I was blown over when my labs came back and the only thing I added was the cinnamon capsules. My endo was just amazed.

Sometimes I will use actual household cinnamon in applesauce and then I won't take the capsules. I use about 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp in the applesauce.

Try the cinnamon bark that the store sells here. Can't hurt and may help you.

BTW, my cholesterol was 283 with the cinnamon. I'm on a diet to lose a lot of weight and will let you know what my labs were from July, when I see the endo on 10/20. I've been on cinnamon for about 9 months now.

We live in a 2 story house, so going up and down the stairs is my exercise I feel.

Whichever you prefer, try adding cinnamon to your diet. ;-)

Hugs,
    Faye
  4. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

wouldnt that do it?
    and walking ~ we dont have to go far but my dogs are my prompting.
    if you dont have a dog then lots of rescue centres rely on volunteer walkers as its often the only day light they see.
    sorry the rescue gal in me is coming out :)

am i right in thinking these two things are complete cardiovascular ( wow long word!) workouts?

hey,water aerobics?
  5. Christinawensell

Christinawensell New Member

I was also told that I need more exercise. I am so exhausted all the time though so walking was totally out of the question. I was too worried that I would walk somewhere and have to worry about how to get back. LOL anyways I got a small 5 foot pool. It is just enough to go to the edge lift my legs and kick and then lift weights etc. I find I am not as exhausted and it is really enjoying. We have our pool down right now until next week though because we are moving.
    Swimming though is great. I live in Arizona though so most of the time it is sunny and warm.
  6. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Mikie - I don't know why but I thought you had cfids, not fms. You have alpha intrusion (please see your other message about your sleep study), and once you're on Xyrem for a while, you'll feel better (less pain, more mobility, etc.), and may be able to walk and do <b> light </b> exercise.

My cholesterol is up, too. It's 325. I've been trying to control it by diet, but I'm already underweight and can't imagine why my cholesterol is up.

abbylee
  7. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

as the LENGTHY Framingham study negates the cholesterol connection . If you still want to lower it , you can check out beta sitosterol , which is plant sterols . Some docs use this instead of the drugs .
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Ralph, I have been agreeing with the idea that eating fat does not make one's cholesterol increase; it's the carbs which are usually at fault. I've gotten a bit lax about the carbs lately but am back to low-carb now.

I will check out the book--thanks!

I cannot take herbals because of the Guai treatment. BTW, I do have both FMS and CFIDS. I was doing great on the Klonopin, but it seems to have lost it's ability to help and may actually be causing some of the sleep problems. I have started to slowly lower the dose and am not taking it at all during the day. I have found that by taking some sea salt, potassium, calcium, and magnesium, the seizure activity which causes anxiety and sensory overload is not present. The minerals are obviously helping with overfiring neurons during the day.

I'll beat this thing, but it just seems that everything happens at once. I was making really great progress until about a month and a half ago. I'll let y'all know what I hear at the cardio's office after tomorrow's visit.

Thank you all again so very much for your help.

Love, Mikie
  9. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Hi Mikie

I'm taking fish oil, O3Mega Joy and Evening Primrose Oil, all prescribed by my Naturopath to increase the fatty Acids. I was totally surprised that my good cholesterol was up and the bad cholesterol was down at my last check! I don't get a lot of exercise and I need to lose a few pounds.

These supplements also have an anti-inflammatory effect.

Just my 2 cents worth! I know you are getting lots of input here!!

Kathy.
  10. greatgran

greatgran Member

Sorry, about your labs but they aren't that bad so it won't take you long to get them down..

But with CFS I didn't think we were suppose to exercise. I get so confused do we or don't we??

I have noticed that when I can be active I do feel better especially mentally..My oxygen level is 94 which is lower than I would like and my blood is thick so wonder if exercise would help...I had to go to wal-mart today and thought there is no way
    but I went and prayed and made it. Other than the aches I feel better than I did before I went..

I am anxious to hear what your cardio has to say...Good luck with the exercise, keep us posted...

hugs,
    greatgran

11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My CFIDS has improved to the point that when I'm not totally fatigued, I can tolerate a little aerobic exercise, so I am going to experiment with it. I am to wait until I talk with the cardio doc tomorrow before I start. My stress test was normal and I recoverd from it much faster than I usually do from that level of effort. I do think I can work out a bit. That's all my PCP wants, nothing too strenuous.

The natural fat we consume does not affect cholesterol. Eating butter and meat does not increase it. It is the carbs which cause the most problem. I've been lax with both the carbs and exercise because I've felt lousy since coming home from Atlanta.

I just finished my salad for lunch. Had eggs for breakfast instead of cereal. I love eggs and they do not raise cholesterol either, so that's good. The old myths about high cholesterol being caused by eating fat die slowly. Ralph knows about this and has tried to debunk the old myths here many times. Studies on low-carb diets support his view.

I am not really depressed so much as just plain old tired. There is a lot going on right now, but I'm glad to have this wake up call. On top of everything else, I'm Herxing, so I'm not feeling so hot. I'll feel better when the Herx is over, 24 hrs. or so.

Thank you all for you concern and help. I appreciate it.

Love, Mikie
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just haven't been doing anything much during this lousy fatigue flare. Yes, bouncing helps the immune system and helps drain the lymph nodes.

Thanks for the concern and help.

Love, Mikie
  13. garlinbarb

garlinbarb New Member

She was having way to many accidents last spring, so I started walking her to retrain her...she has trained me! Now she won't go unless I put the leash on her and take her for a walk...maybe she didn't like going in our fenced in yard ?? I don't know..all I know is I feel better since I've been walking her and I think she does too. She's slimmer, her nails are nice and rounded, she doesn't bark as much etc...let your dog take you for nice long ..or even short walks...it'll do ya good.

Love, Barb
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Or even a cat anymore. I'm glad you and your dog are both enjoying the walks. I love animals but I'm just not up to caring for one. Same for men :)

Love, Mikie
  15. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Sorry your test results weren't as good as before, but it sounds like you have some good advice from Ralph & others.

This gives me a heads up, though, to have mine checked again. For years, I have taken after my 90-year-old Dad whose cholesterol tends to be around 170, with a very high ratio of good cholesterol compared to the bad.

But I haven't had mine checked in years, and I'm definitely overdue. I know you've been having a lot of varied tests done lately, and we all need to be doing that, because things can certainly change as we age.

I'm going to make it a point to have my cholesterol checked very soon, and also to schedule a colonoscopy over my school's Christmas break. Just to make sure that's all OK.

I hope you find that you can get your cholesterol down some, good luck & let everyone know what works for you & what doesn't, since we all can learn so much from each other...

Hugs,
    Pam