Love fireplace but allergic?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bambi, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Bambi

Bambi New Member

We bought a fairly small electric fireplace recently and set it up last night. It's really just a matter of plugging it in. It has a motor with a fan. The old electric fireplaces looked really phoney but I am amazed at how real this one looks. The flames are amazing and done with light bulbs over and below the "logs". They aren't terribly expensive and give the "fee" of a fireplace without the mess or allergy problems. You can use the flames and not the heat too, and they have a remote so you don't even have to get up and down to turn it on and off. Check them out! Bambi
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I brought some wood in today as we are going to be hit with a big winter storm tonight. Rain and winds gusting to 70 mph! If the electricity goes, we will need the heat! Also have candles out.

Now, I need to get a few more blankets because w/o the electric blanket, we will get cold. Ah, winter is here!

You fireplace sound nice...a good alternative if you are allergic to??? What are you allergic to?

Sue
  3. Bambi

Bambi New Member

I'm allergic to living. LOL! But I do have Asthma and sometimes the smell of a wood burning fireplace will set it off. Not always, but I never know when. I WANT a regular fireplace too
    but it's not in the budget right now.
    If the electric goes out, your right, I'll be freezing my fanny unless the central gas heater is still going but I think that would put out the fan too. In that case my zoo of dogs will come in really handy. Yep, I'm supposed to be allergic to them AND my cats..but I'm more allergic to not having the companionship and joy they give me.

A neighbor, new, asked my how I could stand so many dogs. Since she was rude about it I thought I'd give her food for thought, so I told her "Oh those? That's just the young ones, I have probably 50 others in hospital beds in the house!". She looked at me
    in utter disgust and then all of a sudden got it and started laughing.
    We've been chatting ever since and are becoming good friends. She's considering getting a Chihuahua like mine too.
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

How did you come up with that comeback so quickly! I love it...dogs in hospital beds! (-:

I know about the heater...we have a natural gas heater, but as it's forced air, it has an electric fan. Everything else in this house is electric...even the water heater...so without a fire, we're just plain in the dark and cold. Guess we could heat water for something with the fire, but it never lasts that long. We live in a central area, and the hospitals are on this line so it gets fixed quickly! Nice advantage.

Well, cuddle with you dogs! I'll cuddle with my cat...he's 23-25 lbs. How many chichuchus would he make? (-:

Sue
  5. Bambi

Bambi New Member

of cats too! My buddy probably weighs close to what yours does and then theres; Bart-thal-amew, Hammer, Stripey, Fat bottom (being nice),Bad Ear (her sister scratched it when she was a kitten), Puff Puff, Powing, Yin, Ace and more. Whew, too tired to type it all! LOL!

[ advertisement ]