Love my hot tea

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwoCatDoctors, Sep 2, 2012.

1. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Through the years, tea has grown to become more than just plain "black tea" and that makes me happy.

Today at the supermarket part of Walmart, I picked up white tea with island mango and peach, plus black tea with vanilla caramel truffle. I have green tea with flavors too. I have so many different types of tea at home that it's a treat.

In fact, before I put the "black tea with the passion fruit and papaya" into water, I take a sniff. It smells so good, then to brew it and drink it is even better.

2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Twocats,

I too love hot tea but usually in the morning. I have been trying the Green Tea that has now started to come in flavors. The problem is that i need decaff. for my hi b/p and they are just now starting with a few flavors in DECAF. Green Tea with favors. I think I have seen two of them now and pick them up when I see them. Sometimes I also get some other decaf. teas with different flavors if I find some with sound good and are DECAF.

They have so many flavors in Regular Green or other tea that do not have to be decaf. Do you put any sweeteners in your teas esp. the green teas? I put a little honey in if it is a bit bitter. I think this was put out by Lipton that had the flavor decaff. Green Teas. One is Blackberry and Pomegranate and there is one with mango and something else I think. Green Tea is one thing that is also supposed to help hi b/p besides being a good antioxidant for other things.

I do not think that I have tried BLACK tea. Is it strong. Not sure they have that in decaf either ):!! When it gets cold again I may start drinking more tea through out the day but now I just drink in the a.m.

Do you brew your tea or use the tea bag. Sorry I am lazy and use the tea bags:)!!!

Thanks about posting about your teas !!

3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I use the tea bag in a huge mug and put it in the microwave for 4 minutes (the mug is so large you can use it for soup). It really gives me a nice super large mug of tea.

I love the black tea and don't consider it strong unless the tea bag sits too long in the hot water. But I prefer black tea mixed with other flavors because I love the smell. Just before I drink it, I inhale the steam vapors and get that yummy smell of fruit or whatever coming up. I often wondered if people use mixed flavors of tea as potourri in drawers because the smell is so good.

I don't use sugar or sweetners at all, but i sometimes put in a very small amount of non-fat Hazelnut dairy creamer and that is an extra treat for me.

I also have a Christmas night tea that is a peppermint tea that tastes good and that peppermint goes right up into my sinuses. The white teas and green teas that I have are decaf, and some of the black mixed teas are decaf and some are not.

Also, I do a craft card that is a tea cup with a little white ribbon and a note on the end sticking out over the cup (like it is from the tea bag). Then I put the little envelope with an actual yummy flabor teabag inside the card and write something like "Have a cup of tea on me." It's cute and it gives someone a chance to experience a great flavor of tea and everyone so far as liked it.

4. Granniluvsu

when you give a little cup if tea to someone as a gift. I think I have seen something like that somewhere else. Where did you get the cards or did you make them up yourself? I am so non crafty unless I am sitting with someone who tels me what to do :)!!! That is probably something my eldest daughter would do but she is such a busy gal. She is really th eonly one in the family that is artsy and craftsy !

That Christmas tea sounds yummy. With my luck it is not decaf. Is that around all the time in the grocery store or just Christmas time? I will just have to look for it. I have seen the black tea. Don't know much about it and how good it is for you, like the green tea or is it just yummy tasting? The black tea might be good mixed with some other flavors like you said. Is that one decaf do you know? I will have to check it out. Thanks for your ijformation on the teas you like. I will let yuou know if I try some other ones too. As I think I mentioned before, Lipton now has a couple of decaff green teas with super fruit flavors that I think are pretty good. I had seen others with the flavors but all were notr decaf.

I did read some place that you could remove most of the caffiene in it by letting it brew for a minute or two and then pour it out and then use the tea bag again. I forget the exact timing but I would have to look it up again. I think it was a minute or maybe two.

I also take diuretics in my b/p meds. So, if I drink a lot of tea you know where I will spend a lot of my time :)!! I know where bathrooms are everywhere I go :)!!

The fancy instant coffees seems to be alot like the teas. They have lots of flavors in the regular but hardly any if you can find one that is decaff. I couldn;t find one in WM the other day but sometime ago I did find one in another grocery store. I forget the brand.

Bye for now, almost time for beddy bye.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/02/2012]
  5. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I make the craft card myself. It has been around in many forms and I'll see if I can find directions and the drawing for it on the internet. It's a little fun something just to let someone know you are thinking of them.

The two Christmas teas that I have are:

--Christmas Morning Black tea by Stash Tea Company: Blend of assam, ceylon, sumatra, jasmine green tea and Reemun teas.

--White Christmas White Tea by Stash Tea Company: White tea, peppermint and ginger root.

I also drink the following:

--Constant Comment Decaffeinated by Bigelow: Black tea, with rind of oranges and sweet spices.

--Cinnamon & Apple Flavored Herbal Tea Caffeine Free by Private Selection: Cinnamon, hibiscus, chamomile, roasted chicory root, orange peels, roated carob, natural flavors.

--Blueberry & Pomegrante White Tea by Lipton: White tea, green tea, dried apples, rosehip peel, chicory root, , cinnamon bark, licorace root, ginger root, orange root, and it goes on and on and has various fruit in it.

--Raspberry & White Tea Decaf by Stash Tea Company: Naturally decaffeinated white tea and raspberry flavor. Has the notation: Contains soy. But doesn't indicate how much soy.

--Herbal Tea Caffeine Free Fruit Tea Sampler: Has Raspberry Zinger, Country Peach Passion, Wild Berry Zinger, True Blueberry and Blue Cherry Berry. This is a GOOD sampler, and the Country Peach Passion was the only one so far I tried and it was really good.

--Passion Fruit & Papaya Black Tea by Private Selection: 2 black teas from India, orange peels, and it says the natural flavors of passion fruit and papaya.

I have plain green tea. My green tea mixes (green tea mixed with flavors) are gone, so I apparently used them up and forgot to replace them. So I have to put them on my shopping list.

6. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Below is a site that shows the craft tea cup with the real tea bag in it. If you scroll down, it provides a PRINTABLE TEMPLATE of the tea cup that can be used by anyone to draw the tea cup if you can't do it free hand.

P.S. there are many sites to get ideas for this tea cup and some where the tea cup opens into a card, you can experiment to find exactly what you prefer. [This Message was Edited on 09/03/2012]
  7. Granniluvsu

I know what you mean about almost always reaching for the ones with flavors. I thing the plain green tea is a little bitter or doesn't have that much flavor unless you put something else in it. It may depend on the brand. I just get 40 T bags of decaf Green Tea (Walmart brand). It is a very good price, I forget. It is about the same as other brands for 20 bags instead of 40.

I have some more of the flavored but have to get it down off the high shelf and put some in my canister in the kitchen.

Enjoy your tea ! I just had the plain Green Tea with a bit of honey this morning. Maybe lemon would also work. I don't particularly like tea with milk in it but it might work with that tiny bit of the flavored creamers that you mentioned.

My mom was a tea lover but also loved very weak tea and used a tea bag many times. Thats where I got my frugal ways :)!!!

TTYL !

8. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I read recently (can't remember where) that you can take used tea bags, put them in a plastic bag in the refrigerator, then in the morning, put a cold used tea bag on each eye to help with puffiness and bags under your eyes.

I don't know if it works, but it sounds like a great recyling idea!!!
  9. Granniluvsu

I have the puffy or baggy eyes. I think I had heard something like that too but haven't done so. Maybe I will try it one of these days when DH isn't walking around in the house and wondering what the heck I was doing :)!!

TTYL. I have go start getting dinne ready, grilled veggies outside inc mushrooms and some shrimp and scallops. Trying to recreate something some friends had shown us.

Hope you had a great day.

Hugz and blessings,

10. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I too love my hot tea!!!

In the summer though, when I have an over-abundance of teabags accumulated, I make iced tea and keep it in the frig. I use all different teas (at different times lol) and my daughter loves it. So much better than commercial iced tea.

I already know what I am asking for as a Christmas gift. I want one of those 'tea for one' cups with the tiny teapot and cover all in one. Just for me!!!!

11. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Thanks for the post. I do not have anyone around that likes hot tea, so it feels like a breath of fresh air to find some people here on the board who enjoy hot tea.

I know what you mean about the "tiny teapot and the tea for one cups." In fact, I have seen them in various styles and even one done up like a rose (and the rose one had a small tray with a ceramic spoon too), another a pink camellia design, and a beautiful Irish set and some pretty English sets too. They are wonderful to have and special gift that is "all yours" with tea just for you.

My grandmother (who passed long ago) was from England and she was very big on tea with scones, English biscuits, etc. and her and I had tea so many times when I would visit her. So perhaps I get my love of tea from her.