Low Back Hip Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by starofsd, Sep 23, 2006.

1. starofsd

starofsd New Member

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I would like to know if anyone else is having similar problems. I have chronic low back pain which then radiates in to my hips. I've had MRI's, X-rays, etc. and nothing supports a reason for the pain. My Rheumi says its my Fibro. After about 10 minutes the pain is so terrible I can no longer stand without shaking very bad. I also have horrible rib pain, which I'm sure is Fibro. Anyway, I've never really talked to anyone about my Fibro or what others experience. I've had doctors tell me I am faking it as I'm sure alot of others have dealt with the not so sympathetic medical doctors out there. If anyone has any suggestions or exercises that have helped them I would appreciate your imput. Thanks, Martha
  2. cardinal50

cardinal50 New Member

Hi Martha, and welcome, I do not come here alot anymore just because time does not allow me too. But your post caught my eye. Most of my Fibro pain is in my low back and right hip area. I too have had every test and they say its all caused by the Fibro. I spent 8 weeks going to a wonderful Fibromyalgia program at St. Lukes Hospital/Rehab center in a near by city. The best exercise they should me for this pain was, to lay down on your back on the floor, lift your legs straight above you and lower them very slowly to the floor. The other one was, still on your back on the floor, pull your knees to your chest, holding one knee close to your chest, lower the other one to the floor. Repeat with the other leg. Do 3 to 5 times on each side.
    Hope these help, they do not take my pain away all together but it makes it less severe.
    Hope you get some relief.
    "God Bless"
  3. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

First off I want to welcome you Martha to this board. It is a nice place with a lot of wonderful people.

What is even better is as you read you find out that we understand all these weird symptoms and pains. It is such a relief to find people who understand.

We also understand about doctors who don't believe in Fibro. This seems to be a never ending battle with people with FM and CFS.

I have a lot of hip and lower back pain with FM. Especially if I have to stand for any length of time. I also get the shakes when I get overtired.

Each of us has to learn to pace ourselves and listen to our bodies. I found this really hard at first but if you don't you will continually push yourself and then crash.

I hope you will continue to post here and join in our conversations.

hugs Marion (Redwillow)
  4. Kayleen

Kayleen New Member

If you are married or have someone who can massage your lower back, it helps alot. Tell them to just keep rubbing back and forth. If it is inflamed it will get hot. That seems to work out the inflamation for me, which also helps relieve the hip pain for some reason.
  5. bearsoftspirit

bearsoftspirit New Member

First of all, start seeing a Rhuemutologst. I have found that the younger the doctor the more informed they are about Fibromyalgia.

I have had a similar problem with lower back and hip pain.
    Finding a good doctor is important so that you can get prescription medication that will help with the pain. I take 3200 miligrams of ibuprofen (800 X 4. My doctor also prescribed Elivil and Soma (a muscle relaxer). The improfen helps with other pain besides Fibromyalgia. Elivil helps me relax so I can sleep and I take it 2-3 hours before bedtime so it has a chance to get into the bloodstreem to work. The Soma has been a big help with muscle pain. I use the book "Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofasical Pain by Devin Starlanyl and Mary Ellen Copeland.
    They also have a web site and you can print informtion.
  6. Doober

Doober New Member

I too have the low back pain that radiate out torwards the hips. Some days it a low sore ache and others (more often than not) it is more painful wether standing or sitting and less when laying down. MY wife went and bought me one of those microwavable heating pads that when I get home from work and after dinner I would lay in bed for a little while with it on. it helps a little and the heat fells good. She also got me a smaller one for my neck. I have also had 3 different MRI's for this. ALthough they did find Minor Arthritis. the pain is not from that. Rib pain I also have from time to time smack dab in the middle of the chest.I have read in the few article that I have seen so far that some Doctors do not know enough about Fibro and are ignorant to it, so therefor just don't believe it yet. My Neurologist after all he has put me through, now agrees that I am dealing with Fibro and has referred me to a Rheumi instead of fellow neurologists for other opinions.
  7. TerryS

TerryS Member

Just got diagnosed YESTERDAY with FM after over 30 years of pain!

Anyhow, there's only thing I have found that helps my pain (not that I've been trying too many things since I didn't know it was FM, so maybe there are other things I can do). The one thing that REALLY helps is to get on my inversion table and hang upside down. I've actually gotten rid of the lower back pain for for weeks at a time by getting on the table just a few times. Now, why would this help FM? I don't know!!! Perhaps my lower back pain is actually caused from some other issue. Maybe I actually have disc issues???

TerryS
  8. pauladiverspain

pauladiverspain New Member

Hi Martha, yes, I get this. I have had me/fibro for nearly 10 years. the pain is in my lower back and radiates into my hips and the ball joint of my legs, with this I have rib pain at the back feels as though I have been kicked, when it is really bad, or should I say I have done too much this pain is then also at the base of my skull. I have been really fortunate to have never been told that I am faking it. I suggest next time you say, "have you ever been stood in my shoes" obviously they havent had anything like what we have some can not know what you are having to experience, each and every day.
    I used to try alsorts to build up my physical fitness, only to make myself worse.even hydro-thrapy, being a passed swimmer thought it would be a great way to build myself up. To no avail, although the water is good for you especially if its warm, but I would always recommend someone with you. especially when you are getting out of the pool, as this is when you really feel the heavyness and weakness.
    Rest and pace, is the only way, everyday try and me somekind of mobile, but never over do it. I take a set range of meds, which work for me. and keep warm, especially my feet, for me if I let my feet get cold, the rest of my body is crippled.
    With pacing see if you can recognise a signal that lets you know when you are about to reach your boundry, then rest, if posssible by lying down. This is the only way I find that gives me some rest bite, and lets the muscles recharge themselves. It all takes time.
    Of couse this is just is what works for me, I hope this helps you too, only if its to know there is someone else that is the same.
    Takecare Paulax
  9. starofsd

starofsd New Member

I was surprised that so many others have this same low back hip thing, but I shouldn't be since I haven't ventured out of my comfort zone too much. The one thing that I do have is a great Rheumi who has been supportive and caring. I was actually in one of his studies for a trial medication but had to drop out after a year. He wants me to join a new one and I might if I can get control of my blood pressure. It's my primary doctors that I really have a problem with and since I have an HMO, it seems there is not accountability. My most recent PCP told me last Wednesday that she does not want to deal with any patients with Fibromyalgia and I should find another doctor. Yes, she actually said this to me. Sometimes I wonder why they even bother to go to work. Anyway, I am glad to have found this board and I will participate with anything I might know or if I can add something. Really, it's almost like when I found out I had Fibromyalgia 2 years ago, I cried because I was so happy that it was not all in my head!!! I'm not actually crying, but I'm happy to be able to talk with people who understand. Thanks all.
  10. ivorysnow1961

ivorysnow1961 New Member

I AM AALSO NEW TO THE FORUM AND VERY HAPPY TO BE HERE. I HAVE BEEN HERE A VERY SHORT TIME AND LEARNED ALOT SO FAR.

I HAVE THE SAME EXPERIENCE WITH PAIN IN LOWER BACK,HIPS AND EVEN MY RIBS. I THOUGHT I WAS GOING CRAZY.

I WOULD LIKE SOME IMPUT LIKE MARTHA IS ASKING.

THANKS IVORYSNOW