Low Back Pain, Sciatica--And Now for Pain in the Butt!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Oct 25, 2005.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I have both multiple sclerosis and fibromyalgia (among other things), and I recently started using a power wheelchair. Although I have been doing gentle yoga exercises (basically, breathing and stretching) for the past year, and though I have had a bit of physical therapy, I continue to have pain in my lower back and in the area of what my yoga teacher calls my "sit bones."

I'm not sure how much of my pain is from fibro and how much is associated with MS, but I've gotten helpful advice from this board in the past, and since pain is a basic issue in fibro, I thought I'd ask if anybody has any suggestions.

I'm kind of limited in what I can take for pain because of side effects that may worsen one or more of my co-existing problems. That's why I've been focusing on exercise. However, in the past week or so, I've noticed that my left leg seems to be stiffer (more resistant to straighrening out) than it used to be, despite the stretching exercises I try to do.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

--Laura R.M.
  2. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

-----------------
    Bear wrote:

This was told to me by Physical therapist. Lay on your back, can be done on the bed. Bring one leg bent at knee towards your chest. Grasp hands together behind knee (back of leg). Now rotate knee in a circle clockwise for a while and then counter clockwise. Try with toes pointed or foot flexed. Sometimes moving knee side to side also helps to relieve the butt muscles.
    -------------------
    I do that and several other similar exercises. I'm trying to do a routine that combines some physical therapy exercises with some yoga stretches. (My PT knows I'm doing yoga, and my yoga teacher has worked with physical therapists and, in fact, plans to take some classes in PT so that she can work better with students who have limitations like MS and fibromyalgia.)

Unfortunately, while it feels great while I'm doing the exercise, the pain comes back after I stop and sit for a while. Standing up and stretching relieves the pain temporarily, too, but I can't stand for very long.

Thanks for reinforcing what I've been doing, though.

--Laura R.M.
  3. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

-----
    butzie41 wrote:

Do you think the pain in your "sit bones" could be related to your sciatica?
    ------

Yes, I think the sciatica may be involved--or at least my body's attempt to compensate for the sciatical may be partly responsible. But the pain in the sit bones also may be related to an elevated sensitivity to the pressure on my butt, since I sit a *lot*!

--Laura R.M.
  4. kgangel

kgangel New Member

Hi Laura,

I guess I would have to ask the doctor that question, if I were you. I have a herniated disc in my low back and have had severe pain down the rt hip and leg and into the foot. I have been unable to walk at times. So I would have to say to see what your doctor thinks if they want you to do a different kind of exercise or stretching. I don't know , they may want to test you to be sure nothing else is going on.

Sorry for all you are going through, hang in there and know that God works in mysterious ways

kgangel
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Do you think you could handle going to a chiropractor?