Low blood pressure

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Smurfette17, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

I know lots of folks have POTS or NMH. I am starting to wonder if I do too. Pre-CFS, I had always had low-ish blood pressure, but I suspect now I may be symptomatically low.

Due to my heart palpitations, Dr. Lerner put me on a low dose beta-blocker. I know it can lower blood pressure too much, but for about 6 weeks after I started it, I had no issues at all—I felt pretty good, actually. Then I noticed that at the end of November, I started getting extra fatigued in the morning (also a little lightheaded, but not too bad). I’ve been measuring my bp since then and it’s really low (in the 70s and 80s). It sort of coincided with me adding trazodone at night to sleep (low dose) and I know trazodone can cause some hypotension too. I’m reluctant to give up the trazodone bc it does help me somewhat with sleep.

I know this could all be a simple medication issue, but I am wondering if the hypotension could be its own issue, something for which I need to be treated separately. I eat a lot of salt—always have. I drink a lot of water due to the antivirals. So, I feel that I have increased my blood volume as much as I can through my diet. Maybe I should I ask for a tilt-table-test? Does anyone know if Dr. Lerner would be responsive to such a test? Sometimes I feel that he only deals with infections and cardiac issues...

2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Did you mean to say that you drink 2 1/2 glasses of water than has 2 to 4 teaspoons of salt added? To each glass? If that's the case, I am WAY underdosing my SeaSalt.
  3. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

I forgot to mention that I had started taking the Gookinaid/Vytalite after reading Cheney. I stopped this week because I ran out, but prior to that I was drinking 4 glasses a day. I'm not sure if it was helping-- do we see results immediately or should I give it a few weeks?

In any case, I will definitely be bringing this up with Dr. Lerner at next week's appt. Somehow I'm thinking that he'll reduce my beta-blocker from 2x to 1x day, rather than testing me further like with a tilt-table test.