Low Blood Pressure

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sweeti8991, Apr 30, 2003.

1. sweeti8991

sweeti8991 New Member

Hi
    I have had M.E./C.F.S. for nearly three years and my main problem is my low blood pressure . I drink loads of fluids add extra salt to my diet but I recently acquire a blood pressure machine and my readings for all day yesterday were abysmal .My highest reading just before bedtime was 92/50 . Anyone else suffer like this and more to the point any tips on how to get it raised. I live in the UK and the medics here don't treat hypotension .....but sometimes I feel like my life is hanging by a thread it's so low.
    Karen
  2. IngaDinga

IngaDinga New Member

having BP readings in the 90/50 range may just be normal for you.

What does your BP do when you stand......that's the question. On the Tilt Table Test mine dropped to 70/40 . So that means whenever I stand I get weak and almost pass out my BP is basically gone. This has been going on 15 years and I'm still here. Feel like crap but I'm here.
  3. sweeti8991

sweeti8991 New Member

Hi thanks for the reply
    My bp mostly becomes unrecordable when I stand up . So how do you spend your days . Are you housebound like me?
    Karen
  4. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

I suffer from this also and have for years. The last year or so has been some better for me.

I too salt the heck outta things and drink water..I was wondering if there was a possibility that you would try kelp? It has iodine in it and it helps me. I take it sporatically (sp) but I think it helps.

I also use reflexology .. my friend gave me a book on it. I have found alot of relief from it too.

Hope something helps you soon..Sherry
  5. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

I went to doc appt. I could just barely get there. My BP was 79/52. She asked me how I am walking? Can be dangerous in surg. also, usually they can`t even read it. I even have had my systoclic same as diastolic,they could not believe & kept taking. It can be dangerous in certain circumstances, & they should take it sitting and standing. Usually they do not do this. I drink atleast a gallon of water a day.
    Do not take Valerian Root it lowers BP!!!!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/01/2003]
  6. sweeti8991

sweeti8991 New Member

Hi Sherry
    Forgive the ignorance but is that in tablet form or just natural kelp ...isn't that seaweed?
    Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 05/01/2003]
  7. stillafreemind

Yes..I think it is seaweed of some kind. I ran a search on the internet by just typing kelp. Wow..there is ALOT of info on it.

I take tablet form. Are you allergic to iodine or seaweed? ..Sherry
  8. stillafreemind

I do not take that..but I have been known to take a valium or diazapam when I need it. But I take them so seldom that I am thinking it is not a part of this particular problem. But thanks for saying that..maybe others are taking it and do not know this..this will surely help them out!

Have a good day Pack..Sherry
  9. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

I know this won't work for everyone, since the Gookinaid does have sugar in it, BUT....I started Gookinaid a few months ago before some chemotherapy treatments, since I was very worried about dehydration. My blood pressure also runs about 90/50. It makes a huge difference. Usually, my hands and fingers look like they've been soaking in salt but when I do the Gookinaid, they seem more hydrated. It also helps with the nausea I sometimes get after treatments. Dr. Cheney recommends Gookinaid for CFS patients to increase that low blood volume that may cause the low blood pressure. Like I said, if you don't do sugar, you may not be able to use it, but search the site, because I seem to recall that there is an effort to make some without sugar.....Good luck, all. Diane
  10. sweeti8991

sweeti8991 New Member

No Sherry not allergic to it as far as I know
    A few years ago I worked in a boarding schools and the girls from Hong Kong used to bring sachets of dry seaweed back with them I loved it . Having said that I have developed so many allergies in past 2 years but it's certainly worth a try I'll look into it
    Karen
  11. sweeti8991

sweeti8991 New Member

Thanks for the info on Gookinaid, unfortunately only available in US but I emailed them and they said they are hoping to get a supplier in Germany later this months o maybe I could try it then ...I live in uk
    Karen
  12. celina

celina New Member

I can't belive how many people have such low blood pressure. My doc tries twice, them just writes low on his chart. the machines at the pharmacy try till my arm nearly falls off. But it's also hereditary. My doc says just to make sure i eat to stay alive and keep checking it because it could shot up anytime.
    Celina
  13. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

after standing cause the blood starts pooling in my feet and legs. I take a beta blocker, salt tabs and wear compression knee highs. I have POTS, have you been tested for Pots? thats where the tilt table comes in use for testing. Info at potsplace dot(you know the other word).
    Carlacat
  14. sweeti8991

sweeti8991 New Member

my bp is too low for beta blockers . I have even tried the cardio selective ones and still they knock my bp down to nothing
    Karen
  15. celina

celina New Member

My doctor couldn't explain why, it's just one of those things. It happens to me when i have anxiety attacks. It could also be your blood sugar or iron count. I am both hypo-glycemic and aenemic. My body doesn't absorb minerals well. My advise is get tested for as much as possible to rule out everything.
    Celina