Low Blood Sugar Readings

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hugs4evry1, Dec 14, 2006.

1. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Since I was just dx with borderline diabetes and I got my testing kit yesterday, I've had some scary BS readings.

I don't feel well today, (that might be obvious) but this morning on my first reading it was 39. I took it again after having a tangerine for breakfast and it was 94.

Took it again after lunch and it was 33. I keep hitting new lows. But I was beginning to have one of my 'episodes' where my arms go numb and tingly so I thought it would be a good time to do a test.

Yesterday when the nurse showed me how to do it, it was a 52 then after dinner 48.

I've called my doc as it's his last day today and he's going to put this information in my stuff for my Endo appt. He sounded worried about the readings and suggested I split my lunch into 2 portions and eat every few hours.

I haven't yet seen a dietician, too tired today to make the appt but I will soon.

My doc even suggested eating in the middle of the night but with the FM, I really need my sleep too so I can't think that this is a good option for me.

Any tips or tricks from those who know more about this than I do?

Thanks all...

Hugs,

Nancy B
  2. xchocoholic

xchocoholic New Member

Hi Nancy

I'm dealing with this problem too. Although, I don't think mine has gotten as low as yours. I do have some funky symptoms though and I don't have a meter yet.

Anyway, I am eating something (protein + carb) at least every 90 minutes at this point. Or if I am out shopping or burning calories, I will eat even more often than that. A few bites do the trick.

And I now have a small bowl of nuts I keep by my bed in case I feel it go too low.

It's not a long term solution, but it works for the immediate problem.

I have not seen an endo for this yet. Mine is much better if I keep on top of it.

Sorry, I could not be of any more help ... xchocoholic

I bumped the hypoglycemia thread ...
    [This Message was Edited on 12/15/2006]
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

My husband tried to make me an appt with the Dietician today but she's booked up until Feb. I was really hoping to get in there and learn more soon.

I'm trying to find out what kinds of foods I should be eating. I can easily snack on fruit, and I too keep nuts by my bedside.

I'm not used to running to the fridge for cheese, but I guess I can train myself.

I'll check out the other post, thanks!

Hugs,

Nancy B
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Nancy,

So sorry that you are struggling with blood sugar issues. I know it's so frustrating; I've struggled with it for a long time before I found a doctor to help me. I have some really strange blood sugar issues that wouldn't make a lot of sense to explain here (my doc's only seen one other patient with it!), however, I learned a lot from my endocrinologist that will help you.

First of all, eating protein will keep your blood sugar more stable over time. Eating low sugar, high protein, high fiber is the kind of diet you want (it's called the hypoglycemic diet). Many fruits have a lot of sugar in them. Eating lots of vegetables is important and often better than fruit because they are low in sugar, high in fiber and also quite good for you.

HOWEVER, if your sugar drops too low (as yours does), you need to raise it quickly and simple sugars will do that, such as honey or orange juice. You should carry glucose tablets or lifesavers in your purse if you need to raise your blood sugar quickly. (I also carry protein bars if I get hungry.)

Splitting your meals up into smaller ones and eating more frequently will definitely help keep your blood sugar more stabilized so that it is less prone to dropping. Eating something right before bedtime might possibly help prevent you from eating in the middle of the night.

Also, exercise helps a lot with anyone who is diabetic or pre-diabetic. I don't know if you can exercise, but it helps greatly.

Hope this helps you. Good luck!!

Warm hugs, Erika

[This Message was Edited on 12/15/2006]
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

By eating something at bedtime you're probably not talking about candy kisses, right?

I tend to eat fine all day and lose my mind with the candy at night. Maybe my body is crying out for it?

I had a much better reading this morning (91) but took orange juice with me downstairs to take the reading.

I still have to fast for an hour in the morning when I wake up because I take my Thyroid pill first, then can't eat for an hour. I guess orange juice can help here.

I could really get upset if I stopped to think about how long I've been sick (over 2 1/2 years) and if the doc had just stopped and paid attention to me during my appts instead of my daughter and husband too....maybe we could have caught this sooner. (Although bless him for all he's done for my daughter)

How I feel when my blood sugar is only 33 is how I've felt most of the last 2 1/2 years, stumbling to the fridge, or sleeping all day.

I really thought I've been doing well the past few months and now know I could have felt much better had he paid attention to my symptoms sooner. Oh well, at least the docs are learning more about FM.

Thanks for your suggestions, I needed that.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  6. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Are you taking insulin for your diabetes? If so, could too much insulin be causing your low blood sugar?
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I was just dx with pre-diabetes or borderline as they say. My number was 116 and my doc said that 126 was diabetes.

I can't believe I'm having so much trouble with low blood sugar. I feel like I've done nothing BUT eat today trying to keep my levels up.

I will give up my white chocolate/peppermint kisses tonight.

Honestly, I haven't felt this bad in a long time and have no idea why it's suddenly bothering me. I can say I never feel 'well' at all and each day is a struggle especially with everything that's going on at home but this stuff is putting me back to bed during the daytime and it's been awhile since I've spent so much time there.

In fact, I feel awful and I'm going to go tuck myself in.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  8. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

I have two type 1 diabetic friends and have spoken with them at length about my hypoglycemia.

They explain it like this: Your blood sugar number is like "hit points" in a videogame. Once your number is too low, you die.

Diabetics take insulin because their blood sugar gets too high. Like, normal is about 120. You get blood sugar at 340 and you need insulin because without it, you damage your organs, and can get the dreaded ketoacidosis.

This is what kills diabetics too.

But for us hypoglycemics, my diabetic friends told me to take it VERY seriously because although I'm not diabetic, and it will probably not kill me, it is very dangerous to have low blood sugar. It can also get worse and become diabetes.

I try to have smaller meals, much smaller! Like do not eat to be full. If this is hard, try the japanese way: eat till you're 2/3rds full and stop. Also eat slower as you will feel more full.

Eat every 2-3 hours.

And make sure to keep away from refined sugar and flour (as carbs are converted to sugar by the body). For most people, complex carbs are good.

A good balance of veggies, complex carbs, and protien each meal are supposed to have the best long-term benefit. You're trying not to make your insulin levels spike (that's what causes you to have low blood sugar--overproduction of insulin).

Chromium supplements people say help with the control of blood sugar, and I've heard the same about cinnimon. Though I don't know and have tried neither.

CFS 6 1/2 years -- 25 years old
  9. Empower

Empower New Member

I would lay off the OJ unless you are in a crisis situation with low blood sugar. OJ has way too much sugar in it

Also, be careful with cereal, oats, pizza and pasta. These are really bad for me (I have low blood sugar)

I eat every 90 minutes (protein and a carb(
  10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I had a friend who's son is diabetic try to explain it some more the other day and I think I'm finally getting a clue.

She got me to understand a bit more about the spikes in my blood sugar and how fast and far they can drop when you eat what you shouldn't be eating.

I would have to admit to a terrible diet all my life because I was always skinny and could eat any way I wanted to.

Now...I'm paying the price. I just have so much to learn about proper nutrition.

I've ordered some books on the low glycemic diet to learn a bit more so hopefully it won't be too long before I see some more steady results.

If anyone wants to give me some idea of proper complex carbs, it may help to get me through until my books come in.

Not a good time for your doc of almost 4 years to leave!!

Hugs all,

Nancy B
  11. Catseye

Catseye Member

Complex carbs are just carbs that are broken down into glucose slower than simple carbs. So they give you a gradual, steady stream of glucose and energy. Eat veggies, brown rice, beans, lentils, peas, things that grew out of the ground. Pasta is also a complex carb but it's never a good idea to eat flour. It's just not healthy and can do more harm than good.

I myself have gluten issues so I can't eat bread or anything with flour. I eat brown rice, lentils, beans and veggies and a little fruit. That's it. That's the price I'm paying for all my indulgence. I used to love to cook, especially french and chinese with rich sauces. Oh well.

The quickest way to fix yourself up would be to eat tons of veggies, and not just root vegetables (starches) like carrots and potatoes. Make sure you include green stuff, too. And eat them several times a day. If you hate veggies, here's some tips:

boil them in chicken broth (without msg), they'll taste alot better

cut them up small and mix a whole bunch of different colored ones together, like I do onions, garlic, peppers (green, yellow, red), potato, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower and zucchini; steamed or boiled, the more different ones you have, the better the taste, esp with lots of onion, garlic and peppers

I can't feel good unless I eat a bunch of veggies everyday. I don't like them, but it's worth it to feel good.

good luck!

karen
  12. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I can't wait to get this under control because I'm really going downhill fast again.

I was having another 'episode' where my hands and arms go numb a few minutes ago, took my BS and it was about 62. Yuck, I've had much lower numbers and didn't feel this badly. (slept all afternoon too)

I'll go make some frozen broccoli and eat that. ( just not up to grabbing the fresh kind right now)

Hugs,

Nancy B