Low Body Temperature...but feel like running a fever?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by achy, Mar 14, 2005.

1. achy

achy New Member

Ok..I know mwany of us have low body temps..and it is a sign of thyroid problems...I've had mine tested t-3 & t-4 and something else too..and all was 'normal'

but for the past 2 weeks or so something has changed...like my temp..its usually 97.4..it has dropped to a consistant 96.8!! I have CF wiht the fm, but this is different - or worse than normal.

this is what I'm dealing with-

low body temp
    neausea comes and goes
    woozyness...weakness...so damn tired
    feel like i have fever, but temp is 96.8?!?!

i feel better after i eat but then I'm hungry again 1 1/2 -2 hours again...like my blood sugar just drops.

Pain has been unbearable too...wonder if its just a flare or bodys reaction to pain?? I did have a tummy bug (vomiting. then diarreah) last week, but it seems to be better, other than the occ. neausea.

haven't started anything new..no meds or change in diet.

thanks fo any input...I've got to figure this out. Have doc appt tomorrow but I'm sure she'll say it 'just fibro'

warm fuzzies
    achy
  2. rdthewave

rdthewave New Member

Achy.............I"d like to know what this is all about too. This is happening to my daughter also now. She feels really hot like she's running a temp but when I take her temp it's normal........or below normal.

I think at one time a doctor of oriental medicine explained this phenomenon to me..........but I don't remember what he said.

Tammy
  3. violarose1

violarose1 New Member

i get the fever feeling w/ i am run down. its hard to deal with, try to see if u can get extra rest, maybe that will help((((()))))
  4. maripat

maripat New Member

I don't get it either. But my body temp is 95 to 97 for normal. 98 and above could be a sign of inflammation.
    I take Compazine for the uky stomach. The tummy "bug" could very well be Fibro symptoms.
    wishing you luck
    peace, maripat
  5. Neverenoughsleep

Neverenoughsleep New Member

I want to bump this.

I feel like this all the time. Feel like I have a fever but have normal to low temperature.

Was wondering if anyone else had any idea what this is??
  6. sugar5

sugar5 New Member

I have felt like that every day. I tried to explain it once like my blood is hot. Under my skin is hot and sometimes even the outside is hot. But thermometer says 97-98. I am usually 97.5. I thought it was weird but now that I know I'm not the only one. What do you think it means? I know I have been extra exhausted these last few months maybe I'm just too tired.
  7. Neverenoughsleep

sugar,

thats how i would describe it too!!!

Do you find any correlation with your cycle? I have been trying to see if maybe it was hormonal. I just dont know!

Glad to know i am not alone
  8. achy

achy New Member

Weather has got me down...so sorry i lost ya'll!!

I asked my doc about this yesterday....

she said her normal temp is 97.6...that normal is not always 98.6 for everybody, its just an average.

The flushing (red face) was most likely meds, but she didn't know which...BLAH BLAH

This is my 4th doc, I've asked them all about it and get the same responce.

Nana...I'm going to go back on the probiotics. I wish I could find a naturopath...nobody around here.

Lemme know if anybody gets a honest reason for this...I'm stil lookin
    !!

Warm fuzzies
    Achy

9. Neverenoughsleep

So did your doc say that if 97.6 is normal for you, then you should consider yourself as having a "fever" if you get a 98.6?

Just wondering, because if you throw "fever" as a symptom in the mix of all our other Sx, you get a whole other mix of potential diseases.

Hope you are feeling better. Hope we all feel better. LOL
  10. Empower

Empower New Member

Achy

This is one of the symptoms that I really hate

It is not all the time, and actually it is better than it has been, but when I get it, I always say "I think I am coming down with the flu"

I take my temp, and it is normal or below

Just don't get it, and I REALLY hate that flu like feeling
  11. Neverenoughsleep

He Empower

have you noticed any correlations with your period cycles and these symptoms?
  12. achy

achy New Member

I did ask the doc that same ????

"So if my temp is 98.6 than do I have a fever?" "No" she says..."100 is considered a fever"

If I have a temp of 100 I'm really really sick.

DOCTORS!!!

I do feel better today....which is surprising wiht cold rainy weather hanging overhead!!

Still confused and
    Achy
  13. SherylD

SherylD Guest

My temp runs 99-100 most of the time... but when I am really feeling bad and think that I have the flu or something, My temp is like 98. It is really strange. I would love to know what the deal is with the temp thing.

Nice to know I'm not alone! If any one figures it out let me know...

SherylD
  14. OrchidDave

OrchidDave New Member

And I'm a guy! It may still be hormone related since I do have male hormone problems. I feel hot right now, sweaty palms too, yet my temp is 2 degrees below 'normal'(by the way...what's normal mean? lol) I have been bugged by this for years & have yet to find a doc that has a clue as to what the cause is.

~Dave'O
  15. sugar5

sugar5 New Member

I haven't been able to tie it to my cycle because it seems to be an every day thing for me. I was burning up last night, sweating and just hot hot hot and took my temp. 98.6. go figure. What is the deal? It's like the inside of my body is in fire but the outside is fine. I dunno but feels like a blood infection or something. If that's even possible. I guess it's just another part of being weird.
  16. sugar5

sugar5 New Member

I forgot, my doc prescribed Amitryptaline(sorry don't know how to spell it) for pain. I asked the pharmacist and he said they often prescribe it for peripheral neuropathy. I'm guessing that's a nerve thing. I also have Restless Legs Syndrome so maybe the hot feeling is a nerve thing.. Hmmm
  17. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

Anyone else besides me find it interesting that the CLEAR majority of those who have posted on this thread have BELOW normal body temps???
    Mine is always "below normal" as well... between 96-98.

Struck me as pretty coincidental... Dr.s say that the "average" for most is around 98.6. Maybe they would be forced to re-think that notion if they read this!

Do some research on THIS phenomonae (that doesn't EVEN look like it's spelled right! lol), Doc, then maybe you and the rest of the medical community should examine the possibility that the "NORM" for people with CFS and/or Fibro may NOT be the same as the "norm" for everyone else...

I really have to wonder what this means, if anything...
    Pretty intriguing, though, don't you think???

Hugs!
    Starr
  18. BHopeful

BHopeful New Member

Yes, yes, yes...I get this symtom too and I'm male so I don't think it's gender specific. I also get very fluctuating body tempratures throughout the day. At one point, I was going anywhere from 96.9 (shaking) to 101.9 (sweating). The fluctuations are better know but several times when I feel hot and burning up I'll take my temp and it's normal or a little below. And of course the high temp never shows up when I'm at the doctor's office. I even avoid taking tylenol or aspirin 24 hrs before a doctor's appointment so nothing well supress the fever.
  19. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

It has done that for a long time. I take my temp in the bathroom so hubby won't know I am taking it. He said several weeks ago that I had never mentioned that it ran that low. But y0u know men, (excuse me guys!) - you guys know about the temps too. I went to the Dr. several weeks ago with cold and he said it was 99.2 and suprisingly, he gave me antibiodics. I have had the same bug all over for about 9 days but no med. Last night, I awoke with the neck of gown soaked, sleeves where arms bend soaked and hair a mess. Don't know what happened then. I seldom have a 98.6 if ever. Wish I knew too what causes it. I am so discouraged today.k I go shopping and when I get past going but can't go to car, I break out in a sweat until me hair and clothes are wet. Who knows about any of this???
  20. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl New Member

When I was younger it was a steady 97.6, at 99.6 I had a high enough fever to be sent home from school, did the nurse listen?? No.

My temp has gone down to a steady 95.3 now, and drs still won't listen to me that that's my NORMAL TEMP AND ANYTHING HIGHER MEANS THERE IS A PROBLEM!! *sigh*