Low Body Temperature...but feel like running a fever?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by achy, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

My temp runs low also, 95-96`s. Once in awhile its normal. Years ago it was 100 all the time. It would be nice to know what causes this.

Sandy
  2. Gagirl2

Gagirl2 New Member

I was reading and saw this. My dd is 12 almost 13 next week......lol/
    . We were in the bathroom taking down her hair. She went to fall over. She is a lil thing and I thought she was just playing. Her hair felt hot when I was taking it down , but thought she had dried it a lil. I was taking her to the living room and she was walking like a drunk.
    She fell to the floor. She satyed there for about 20 mins and sweating. I took her temp and it was 96.....her normal is 98. She was white. I was panicking and got her sometghing to drink. Then after about 30 more mins she wanted something to eat. After about 1 hour later she was fine.
    I called the doc and they said she was either getting a virus or it was hormonal. That is so weird. She is fine now and if it happens again , I `ll just take her to the Er. But it sure might be hormonal for her..........I know she doesn`t have fbro , but I thought it was weird that this is the 1st post I read and wanted to share.....
    Thanks Cindy
  3. stlouisgal

stlouisgal New Member

My temp also usually runs around 96.8 to 97.0 still get the chills on a daily basis you may be on to something
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 03/18/2005</i>]
  4. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl New Member

that is soooo true!

Now if we can get the medical profession to believe us!

The last time i had the flu I went in and my temp was 100 and they told me it was a MINOR FEVER, thank god my mom was there to argue with them!
  5. gottalottalove

gottalottalove New Member

Gagirl, I have this happen to me on almost a daily basis. My head gets drenched in sweat. You just described my story. I am 39 and wonder if it's hormones or the Fibro? Doc never seems to give a sh!t so I haven't had any answere's. I do take amitriptiline. Good luck Tina
  6. Gagirl2

Gagirl2 New Member

It scres me so much. She is just about 13......small in weight, but my other dd was like that. She is over a friends house, so I am guessing she is fine. She is really scared about my symptoms and worries about me. But I am not taking her to the doc just yet. She hasn`t really started , so I am thinking it has something to do with that. I am just hoping it is a one time deal. But if it happens again, I`ll certainly take her to the doc. I have bought some good junk food........lol , nuitra bars and such , just incase it is the sugar thing.
    I sure hope you can get you some answers for your problems.........Let me know........
    Cindy
  7. achy

achy New Member

OK...I have a second question..

How many of you have had your thyroid checked??

LOW BODY TEMP IS A SIGNAL OF LOW THYROID....I've been told mine is "low normal" whatever the hell that means!!

I was on thyroid meds...cymbalta, wiht no effect so i stopped it.

this IS interesting.
    achy
  8. sugar5

sugar5 New Member

I have had my thyroid check four times in the last two years. Every time they say it's "normal". I am not sure what normal means to them. My sister had the same problem. She had hers checked several times and finally the last time she got a doctor that found something he didn't like and said it wasn't normal. She is now on meds for low thyroid and possibly might need surgery. Weird how docs can be sooooo different.
  9. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

Had my thyroid checked just about a year ago, along with blood sugar level, iron-deficiency anemia, and it seems like there were one or two others, but I don't remember what they were.
    All came back "normal".

Then about 4-6 weeks ago my new doc had my blood tested for Lupus (ANA), Lyme, RA, and inflammation.
    Those all came back "normal" as well.

--------------------------------------------------

And I am more convinced than ever now that there has GOT to be some REAL significance to so many of us having lower-than-normal body temp!!!!! Too bad there's not much I can do about it. I'm on Medicaid, so I can't see anyone BUT my PCP without a referral. And who would I go to with this info anyway? I think I'll be lucky to get a referral to a cardio, which is next on my list, considering the whole CFS-left ventricular dysfunction thing...

--------------------------------------------------

Hugs!
    Starr
  10. Badado

Badado New Member

I know exactly how you feel. I get that all the time. My body temp has actually gone as low as 94.4. I get the nausea and bad headache too. And you're right, when the Dr's can't seem to find a reason "It's just your Fibro". I'm starting to get tired of hearing that, and I'm already tired enough!! ;o) Let me know how you made out, please.
    And yes, my thyroid has been tested with normal results. Both my Mom and sister have Fibro too. My Mom's gone through menopause so I don't believe it's hormonal; and my sister's temp is always low.....cold hands and feet, just like me.
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 03/20/2005</i>]
  11. achy

achy New Member

My internest is setting me up with a doc whos supposed to be really good at diagnosing problems with connective tissues...muscles, tendons, etc.

Also a pain mgt doc that many pppl like.

I've added our temp questions to my list I'm taking to them.

There is definatly something to this...I just want a straight answer. Healthy ppl don't have it....we do. Why?!

I'll keep ya postd...
    achy
  12. justlikemom

justlikemom New Member

I know how you all feel. My normal temp is around 97.4 (depending on which part of my cycle I'm on). This past week my temp dropped into the 96's and I was so dizzy, nauseus and tired I thought for sure I was getting the flu or something. I expected to have a raging fever by the way I felt, but no... my temp was lower than normal.

I spent 2 days in bed, literally sleeping all day... never did go see a doc. because I knew they wouldn't be able to help me anyway.
  13. justlikemom

justlikemom New Member

I've had my thyroid checked a couple of times. Normal. I first had it tested when I was pregnant and kept having feelings of a "rush"... like my whole body had butterflies, from my toes up to my head... often followed by a weird flush all over my body. Doc said he couldn't think of any cause for it... must have been some strange fluke (THAT KEPT HAPPENING!)
  14. sandi24

sandi24 New Member

I don't have a thermometer at home so no idea what my normal temp is. I do know though that I getloads of times when I feel like I am really burning up but when I feel my head its very cool to the touch! Very weird!! I hadn't linked it to FMS but it looks like its another thing we have to deal with :(
  15. vp

vp New Member

My normal temp has been 96.8 for as long as I can remember.
    Last week my boyfriend had a bug of some kind and his temp was 102.8. I cheked the thermometer for accuracy, and it gave me the normal 96.8 reading for me.
    Next time I have one of those moments where I feel like I'm burning up, I'll take my temp. and see what it says. I never thought to do that before, now I'm curious
  16. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I'm continually amazed at what doctors don't know and couldn't be bothered to find out about this disease. I don't know if you have this branch of medicine in the States, but here in Canada, we have Environmental Medicine. And environmental doctors (used to be called clinical ecologists) are well aware of this annoying symptom. So much so, that it is protocol when I visit my EnDr. that she has a nurse to take blood pressure, weight and TEMPERATURE for all patients before each appt. and she keeps meticulous charts about the findings because they are so telling and indicative of our level of sickness.

It is usually caused by thyroid deficiency, but is often sub-clinical, meaning it is tricky to pick up on tests. And what really, really rots my socks is that most doctors are actually encouraged, cautioned (almost threatened) to only run standard tests on us.

We have an expression for it too, we call it broken thermostat.

Jeanne
  17. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Hi:
    I spent two years trying to tell my doctor that there was something wrong with my thyroid. He did the regular tests,(advanced testing is supposedly too expensive). I had my first severe FMS flare last August (but I'm sure I've had it for quite some time) and was diagnosed by a rheumy. Just two months ago my bloodwork came back with low thyroid. Am now on medication and feel a lot less tired.

From what I've dug up about hypo/hyperthyroidism, it can take a very long time for problems to show up in standard tests. Better late than never I guess. (My temps always 96.5-97)

Eileen
  18. confident

confident New Member

19. sharid

sharid New Member

I have always had low normal temp - like 96.4. Been this way for over 50 years. As an adult (like 45 yrs old), I can remember feeling just exhausted and my temp would be 96.something. I'd fall asleep for maybe 30 minutes and I would feel better and my temp would be up a few degrees. My thyroid has been checked over and over to no avail??? I agree this is very significant and someone needs to listen. What about Jon Russell?
  20. nightlady

nightlady New Member

I have mono and have been having chills and sweats as part of my symptoms, yet my temp was 97 at the doc's office. My mom took the highest dose of meds for her thyroid while I was growing up, but I always test normal. They even did the two "t" tests the last time, and still all was normal.
    Oh, and since I don't have periods on a regular basis anymore, I don't think there is a hormonal component for me.
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 04/05/2005</i>]