Low body temperature related to fatigue?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Peter F Dop, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Peter F Dop

Peter F Dop Member

Can conditionally low body temperature be related to chronic fatigue in FM/CFS/ME/LD? Jo’s husband Peter thinks so. Jo’s body temperature dwells between 35.2 and 36.2 degrees Celsius. Lately she had a serious attack of fibromyalgia and gastro-enteritis that brought her near the death line. In such situations body temperatures use to be a critical 40-plus degrees C., hers was 38.3 max. The crisis was resolved in three days. Jo did not remember any of the events. Her husband does: ‘It was devastating to see my life’s love fade away. Fortunately antibiotics and fluids saved her life. Two months later her condition was at the same level as before what now is seen as an incident.’

Peter (82) argues as follows. In all body cells metabolism and defense depend on enzymes. Some operate better at lower temperatures, some at medium temp and some have their optimum between 37.5 and 38 degrees Celsius. The latter help making the cell’s defense effective. When sickness strikes a slightly raised body temperature is considered a favorable effect. If the 38 degrees mark is passed medication is in order to hold the lift down. Paracetamol is the usual medication applied.

What now, Peter questions, when the body temperature in daily life is at a continuously low? Like in his wife Jo. Could her low body temperature be the reason for her life’s long fatigue, caused by inefficiently working enzymes in the cells? Or, in combination with other factors, a unfavorable condition?

FM patients find short relieve in hot baths and many plan vacations or even moving to arias with a warm climate. Also physical activity, as far as pain allows, helps to raise the body temperature. Peter and his wife Jo are actively looking into treatments that help raise the body temperature, without undesirable side effects.

Peter Fiedeldij Dop, an editor of the Dutch Fibromyalgia Patients Association Magazine, is looking for data linking body temperature with chronic fatigue, like in FM/CFS/ME/LD. He would be happy to correspond with researchers who take an interest in his question: ‘Can low body temperature be related to chronic fatigue?’