LOW BODY TEMPERATURE????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RENA0909, Aug 5, 2005.

1. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I have felt really s..t last few days and I decided to take my temp.
    Over 2 days it was:
    36.5... 35.8...35.3....36.3....35.2

Next day 37.3....36.2.....35.9....35.8

I have been tested for thyroid but it was normal.I have really bad hair loss and I know this is associated with thyroid problems.
    Also I have heat intolerance soooo bad that I only wear shorts and little tops ALL the time cos I feel like I am going to spontaneously combust at any time!!! LOL

Anyone else like me????

Rena
  2. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

I'll assume you're talking in Celsius--I looked at your profile and see you're in England. (Besides, if it were those temperatures in Fahrenheit, you would surely be dead!) :)

When your thyroid levels were checked, was it only your T3? Or did you have your Reverse T3 levels checked also?

I ask, because if your T3 levels are fine, but you have really high Reverse T3, then the imbalance between the two could cause problems. A lot of doctors only test for T3.

T3 gives you energy, and Reverse T3 slows you down. They are supposed to balance each other out, and it's a rather delicate balance. The normal ratio of T3 to RT3 is something like 1:4, and a lot of FM/CFS patients have a ratio of 1:8. Mine was 1:11, and based on that, I've just started T3 replacement therapy.
  3. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I kept a chart of mine as well and showed it to the doctor. Then in addition to doing the regular TSH test, I asked for a Free T3 and a Free T4. They aren't test that will be run unless you ask for them specifically.

You know, there is a school of thought out there that fibromyalgia is basically an un-treated or under-treated thyroid problem.

I hope you can get the right test.
    Hugs,
    Tigger
  4. fibromaster

fibromaster New Member

Also check thyroid antibodies; anti-thyroid peroxidase antibodies, and anti-thyroglobulin antibodies.

Chronic thyroiditis or Hashimoto's disease is a common thyroid gland disorder that can occur at any age, but it is most often seen in middle aged women. It is caused by a reaction of the immune system against the thyroid gland.
  5. ulala

ulala New Member

temperatures you'd surely be dead." Thanks for the laugh, I haven't been laughing out loud too much lately but your comment struck me so funny!!

ulala
    [This Message was Edited on 08/05/2005]
  6. sofy

sofy New Member

I had that too. My body temp was so low and my fingers and toes were often so cold I couldnt feel them. I was wearing winter clothes in the summer.

Had my thyroid test over and over and it was always normal. I finall found a holistic endo. doc who saw me wearing a coat and shivering in his office waiting to see him for the first time.

Thank god he looked at me the person and my symptoms and not the lab tests results and treated my thyroid with When I touched his hand he drew back and said "Oh, your so cold"

I take just .05mgs of levoxyl and it did the trick. He wrote on the scrip "no substitutions" and will not perscribe cyntrhroid cuz he says it unreliable or something. He told me not to let them give me anything except levoxyl.

I now have the air conditioner on and am waaring shorts.

I have to tell you that not a few months after that he discovered the reason my growth hormone levels were so low was I am no longer producing it so I now take daily injections and its impossible to know if this plays a part in my more comfortable body temp.

My insurance pays for the growth hormone cuz I had the stimulating test that proves I no longer make the stuff and its medically nesessary. I dont think you should take it if you dont need it. You woulddnt take insuline or any other hormone if you didnt need it cuz it could potentially harm you.

Ive been taking it for 2 years now with no problem but it didnt help me feel better cuz in the end it was lyme that put me to the ground.
  7. nina2

nina2 New Member

I have been in a lot of pain the last 2 days and every muscle aches and burns. My body felt really warm to the touch.

I felt as though I was burning up with fever. I was surprised to find my temp at 97.7
    as usual. I felt so sick , I thouht for sure I had a fever.

This has been my steady temperature for a while now. Gotta find out what's going on.
    nina
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

to the bone, Rena. I have heating on when people are going around in Tshirts. Our temperatures do get out of whack with this illness.

Thyroid testing is not reliable, I think there are better tests that can be given but not on NHS. You would need to go private.

I'm sure someone has posted on this before so if you put thyroid into the search engine you might find some info there.

Good luck

Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 08/06/2005]
  9. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I will go to my docs next week and see if I can be tested again before I am go as baldy as my brother lol.

I p.....d myself laughing at your reply WASABI!!LOL.I sure would be dead!!

I forgot we have celsius.37.5 is normal here.

I am not really knowledgable about T3 and T4 and anti-bodies but I will look into it now because I feel it could well be the thyroid thing making me sooo bad lately.

I am going to do a chart of my temperature as well to show doc.

I forgot to say,as well as losing the hair on my head, the hair under my arms has stopped growing!!!!!!
    What is going on there???
    Wish it was my legs cos I am quite a gorilla really lol.

I will let you all know how I get on with tests.

Rena

10. fibromaster

fibromaster New Member

Natural thyroid comes as Armour Thyroid, Thyrolar and it generic alternatives, its prescription. There's herbal preparations from health food stores and internet. I've never tried them, but heard they didn't work.

A major controversy in the treatment of hypothyroidism concerns the use of natural glandular concentrates or extracts containing thyroid hormone (e.g., Armour Desiccated Thyroid Hormone™ and other brands derived from the thyroid gland of the pig) vs. Synthetic (laboratory-made) thyroid hormone (e.g. Synthroid™, Levothroid™™, Unithyroid™ etc.). The synthetic product is promoted by pharmaceutical companies and most endocrinologists. Armour Thyroid™ and other natural thyroid preparations such as Thyrolar™ contain natural thyroid hormone. Although these preparations have been criticized by some for being "impure" or "inconsistent" from dose to dose, it should be noted that Armour Thyroid™ is most natural thyroid preparations. Armour Thyroid™ is F.D.A. approved and certified by the United States Pharmacopeia (U.S.P.). Armour Thyroid™ contains all four thyroid preparations (T4, T3, T2 and T1) and therefore, most closely resemble natural hormone thyroid hormone. At the proper dose, natural thyroid hormone works quite well and are preferred by nearly all "natural" or "alternative" physicians. Peer review journal articles have proven the benefit of 'natural thyroid' and T3 to improve general well being and decreasing depression.

Thyroid Assist contains herbs that have been carefully selected for their beneficial effect on thyroid functioning, as well as on overall systemic health.

Regular use of Thyroid Assist can help to restore deficient iodine levels, while also stimulating the thyroid to produce crucial thyroid hormones, thereby treating hypothyroidism.
  11. fivesue

fivesue New Member

My temp...in Farenheit...is usually around 97.6 (normal 98.6). At the doctor's last Thursday, it was 96...pretty cold, but wonder if it's true.

And, I always sweat...from my face like hot flashes but pretty sure they aren't. Think I'm over that.

But, I have had awful pain for the last few days espceially in my arms, hands and back. Today when driving, I had to take my right hand off the wheel as it hurt up my arm and into my back. My left was better, but not much.

Give up...going to take a Soma and zone for a bit. Just tired of being tired and tired of hurting...but who isn't?

(-:
    Hugs...one armed this time!
    Sue
  12. fivesue

fivesue New Member

100 mcg. of levoxyl a day. I wonder.

Sue
  13. fibromaster

fibromaster New Member

When you get your thyroid checked have him check estrogen, progesterone,and testosterone.

The most common causes of hair loss in women are not related to inherited genes, but to temporary metabolic problems associated with pregnancy, unusual stress, chemotherapy, crash diets/anorexia, thyroid hormone deficiency, major surgery, severe infection or high fever. Certain drugs can also take their toll on once lush and healthy tresses. However, these conditions are usually temporary, and once the “trauma” is alleviated, the hair shedding stops and healthy regrowth occurs with time.

Estrogen levels decline in the skin with age. Before menopause, various forms of estrogen block or “oppose” the steroid hormone responsible for hair loss (testosterone) resulting in low levels of DHT (dihydrotestosterone) being produced in the skin and follicle region. Once females enter menopause, their levels of estrogen decline and more testosterone is then bio-available to be converted to DHT (the known cause of non-traumatic hair loss) in the root bulb and stem cell regions. This results in a shorter hair growth cycle, finer hair and eventually, general effluvium or shedding. As women enter their 80s and 90s, the follicle itself can shrink and stop producing hair completely.

The reason that women experience hair loss during and after menopause is that their estrogen levels decline. Various forms of estrogen can "oppose" androgens and thereby reduce their availability to the cell, by blocking androgen receptors.

Finasteride blocks circulating androgen, but there is also androgen made in the skin. This androgen is normally blocked, in part, by estrogens made in the skin.

Without the opposing estrogen in the skin of women, which declines dramatically at onset of menopause, more androgen remains bio-available to the the follicle root bulb and stem cell regions and is converted to DHT locally.

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/hairloss.html
  14. gottagetbetter

gottagetbetter New Member

using an infrasred sauna to raise body temp. This is awesome for the pain in the muscles also.

~P
  15. RENA0909

RENA0909 New Member

I had an op 7 years ago and right away I started losing loads of hair.It was always straight but went horribly curly (like a bad perm)and grows like a bolt of lightening....all zig-zaggy ....weird!!
    It snaps easily and if I dont put tons of conditioner on I cannot get a comb or brush through it.I hate it.

I gives me depression cos I hate to go out now with it so I tend to wear a baseball cap which makes my head hotter lol.
    Fibromaster I will also get eostrogen etc... levels checked out cos my periods stopped one year ago but my hair has been bad since op.It was the low temp that I was wondering about.

I hope doc can help me.
    Thanks for all you replies.

Rena

16. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I was diagnosed hypothyroid after 3 years of telling them something was definitely wrong. My lipil levels were all out of wack. My hair was thinning. Not just my underarm hair, but the hair on my pubic hair went missing too! It was like I was pre-adolescent.

Finally, my TSH levels were so high they couldn't ignore it any more. I'm now on .075 mcg's of levothyroxine and the hair on my head in getting healthier. Not much sign of improvement in the other areas.

My body temperature is still low, runs around 35.8 (96.4 F). Still not sure if my levels are right. I sure don't get any bursts of energy and I'm tired most of the time, but I figure that's the fibro.

The last time I had my estrogen checked, it was zero! Now that's definitely post menopausal. Seems to me it shouldn't be completely zero but I'm going to check that out the next time I go to the Dr.

Good Luck

Eileen