Low carb and not feeling well...normal

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lendi, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Lendi

Lendi New Member

I've been low carbing for about 3 1/2 weeks. I've lost 5 lbs and that was in the first week. I've been following the program (protein power)and staying well within the boundaries, usually around 20 carbs per day with plenty of protein. But, I feel worse every day. I get nauseous and bloaty, I'm in more pain, and now I feel as though a major depressive cloud has desenced. I was doing very well with the depression before. Sometimes I'm dizzy and light headed. I thought this was suppose to help us. I don't know what to try anymore. Or, if I should give up and go back to low fat or quite frankly forget it and at least enjoy food. Will it get better? How long does it take?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I would suggest trying the Suzanne Somers low-carb diet. It offers a wide range of delicious food and will not make you feel deprived. It is normal when making dietary changes to feel a little lousy for a bit. It will all even out.

Love, Mikie
  3. yellowbird

yellowbird New Member

is you should listen to your body. Lots of things are "supposed" to help "us" but there really is no 'us' in the sense that all the various treatments and supplements affect us differently. I've been on many diets that were supposed to help, it doesn't mean they did.

yellowbird
    [This Message was Edited on 09/16/2003]
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

It sounds to me like your body is needing more carbs. Some people do fine on low carbs and some of us do better with more. Add some fruits, they are good for you, and should put some zip back into you!

Marilyn :)
  5. LaurieEm

LaurieEm New Member

I'd be a little worried if you still feel bad. My experience is the discomfort should be over in four days, if you're getting supplements (and: if you're eating enough noncarb.)

I've found that the low carb is the only way I've lost weight since I got this DD (and I need to get back on it).
    As you know if you're reading Protein Power, with the Low Carb diet it is absolutely critical that you take certain supplements, or you'll not only feel bad, you can enter dangerous territory. Per my memory, you need a minimum of extra potassium, extra calcium, a good multivitamin-multimineral, and extra Omega3 (like from flax oil). If you're doing that, and you're eating enough, and you're drinking enough water (possibly with a half pinch of sea salt now and then) and you still feel bad, I'd say try another plan, but one with adequate protein. Haven't tried Suzannes but then I feel better on Protein Power.

[ advertisement ]