Low carb, atkins diet. Its hell, help needed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shazzy, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Shazzy

Shazzy New Member

Hi all,

I put myself on this low carb diet after many suggesting it to me that i will benefit from it.

I am on day 5 and it is hell. Feel so fatigued, so dizzy and so tense with pressure headaches.

I need to lose 4 stone as well but i dont know if i should continue as it is making me feel so very ill.

Looking for your experiences and advise.

Thank you

Shazzy
    [This Message was Edited on 09/04/2003]
  2. Lifdje

Lifdje New Member

hi from my experience I know that the best diet is simply to eat less. Second important thing is not too eat too much fat things and not too much pork. I lost quite a lot in a short amount of time as I was simply trying to eat less. And I didn't feel tired at all.
    Greetz from Holland
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It isn't as stringent as the Atkins diet. What you are feeling is the result of removing the carbs from you system. It will not last. It could even be a Herx reaction as you remove the food which feeds fungal and yeast infections.

With the Somers diet, you can have some fruit from the beginning as long as you eat it by itself and don't eat high-glycemic fruit like bananas.

Stick with the low carb diet and after your system adjusts, you will feel the benefits and lose weight.

Love, Mikie
  4. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

Ditto what Mikie said. Persevere and it will be worth it.
    Good luck.
    Madelyn
  5. monicacat

monicacat Member

Check out the Atkins and the Atkins Friends websites, they are full of beneficial information.

The Atkins Friends has a board and the people are very helpful with diet questions, don't give up.

Good luck,

Monicacat
  6. hollie9

hollie9 New Member

I'm doing Atkins/Somers hybrid diet, unfortunately I haven't lost any weight yet and it's been over a month. Suzanne herself says it took her 2 months before she had a "fat melt".

I talked to a 50+ year old man who lost 20 pounds recently on Atkins, he said he felt terrible during induction. He's healthy too, no FM or CFS. Someone else on this board said we should skip induction and do phase 2, too hard on us.

However, when I did strict induction I soon felt better, almost too high energy, couldn't sleep, no cravings for any kind of food.

I'd love to lose weight, I've tried so many diets and nothing. I tried a weight training program that put me in bed for 2 weeks, I've got to learn to start slowly.

Too busy lately for exercise and since I hit 53 my body just doesn't want to lose, so I'm having Lipo in about 2 weeks. I'll just cut it out.

I've had quite a number of cosmetic surgeries with CFS and they make me feel better. I recover faster than normal people and scar better. Don't know if it's the surgery that gets my immune system tweaked or just the forced rest.

Good luck,

Hollie
  7. Pindooca

Pindooca New Member

If you are doing Atkins correctly, your body is probably very angry at you right now. It's really challenging to withdrawl from not only caffeine but sugar and carbs as well. For many of us, we depend on those substances to literally keep us awake and function.

Usually around day 5-6 is when newbies to Atkins start to feel more energetic. My suggestions are this:

a. For headaches, take advil or tylenol. They are probably from the caffeine withdrawl.

b. Drink, drink, drink water till you can't stand it anymore. It helps with the headaches and gives you more energy.

c. Make sure you are eating enough. Atkins really does suppress your appetite. You may be shocked that you forget to eat from time to time.

d. Get a good multivitamin. CarbSolutions has a great one specifically for those on low-carb diets.

e. Make sure you are getting enough calcium/magnesium. Take a supplement. Stopping fruit and milk products drastically robs the body of these two things... and we need them when we have Fibro. Magnesium will also make you feel more alert and help with fatigue.

Here is my second home... the Atkins Friends message board. You can get more answers there. Enjoy :)

http://www.low-carb-friends.com/bbs/index.php?s=ad1d330d02392116fdc52d830c49f17c

--Melissa

8. patsull

patsull New Member

I have been fortunate enough to lose approximately 24 pounds on the Atkins Diet. I really like it. It is the first diet I have been able to really stick to. That in itself is a miracle. I guess this is due to the fact that it really isn't a deprevation diet. If you feel bad, it really has to do with the poisons that we put in our bodies. We drink caffine products and devour tons of carbs so it is not surprising that our bodies rebel. Since I have cut out most of the carbs, my blood sugar is normal and I feel so much better. I am still wrestling with my blood pressure and I am not sure how this diet is affecting my cholesterol (anyone out there with a positive story about cholesterol after being on the Atkins Diet?). All I know is that I have lost weight (of course, I am walking about 3 to 4 miles a day which really helps) and am feeling really good. Stick it out. You will be glad that you did. I have friends who had a terrible time with the Atkins Induction phase because they were so addicted to sugar and caffine. As time passed they improved so hang in there. Good luck.
  9. pepper

pepper New Member

I lost 60 lb. on Suzanne Somers but was bored with the diet and thought that Atkins was less boring because you can combine foods that you can't on SS. Besides I know of so many people who have been so successful on Atkins.

I started it June 1 - went through all the carb withdrawl stuff that I expected as I had to a certain extent on SS. On the third day of the diet I was in agony! Pain beyond belief as well as fatigue. I was covered in pain patches and could barely leave the bed. I e-mailed the Atkins site and they told me to take calcium, magnesium and potassium supplements because these minerals were probably being leached from my muscles because of the strong diuretic effect of the first 2 wks of the program. They also told me to salt my food for the sodium.

I decided to add some carbs too and the pain and extreme fatigue went away. My doctor told me to go off the diet because it was obviously too drastic for me. I am now on the Protein Power diet which works very slowly but I feel better.

All this to say, be careful. If you don't feel better in a day or two I would re-think the whole diet. I know it is great for some but some of us have very sensitive systems and we have to be open to other suggestions, i.e. Suzanne Somers, Protein Power, etc. that have the same mind-set but are much easier on the system.

Good luck. Pepper
  10. barbiec1953

barbiec1953 New Member

I put myself on a low carb diet due to an out of control yeast infection that kept comung back after conventional
    medications. I got ill with some kind of flu and the yeast went everywhere in my body. I did a lot of research on the web and took my health into my own hands. I ate only meat,nuts,butter, olive oil,flax oil, coconut oil and low carb vegetables (no potatoes,carrots and the like) and nothing artificial (especially fake sweetners). I went through a really rough time with the release of toxins from my body with the die off of the yeast,withdrawel from the sugar and who knows what else...headaches,rashes,etc. but with all the study I had done I was ready and knew what to expect. My friends seeing me go through this told me I needed to go to a doctor and get onto an antibiotic...but I knew better. I just had to be patient to get to the other side. I am 50 years old. Before all this i felt like I was 50 going on 80. I had fatigue,brain fog,etc...and thought that if this is 50 I don't want to see 80. Now 4 months later I feel like a brand new person. The yeast is totally gone,the brain fog has lifted, I am getting more and more energy every day ,I feel very peaceful and even keeled, I got off my antidepressant and I have lost 30 pounds.I still am hypothyroid(armour)have the body pain issue but I think I've gotten rid of a lot of negatives and I am so happy about that. I had to change my mindset,though. I used to think of food as entertainment...now I look at it as nutrition and medicine. I have really cleaned up my diet.I have swtched to grass fed beef(which I order off the internet)non farmed fish from alaskan waters(on the internet also), free range chicken and eggs and eat organic as much as possible.Have also added back in fruit but only once a day and only with a protein to slow the glucose release.I allow myself once a month "celebration food" and have treats(ice cream, cake etc.) but just make sure that I never eat sugar on an empty stomach and then get right back to eating healthy again. I find that since I don't keep the sweet taste alive on my taste buds by eating fake or alternative sugars I don't miss it. Good for you food tastes really good if you don't adulterate your taste buds with sweet. You may say that sounds expensive...but I have saved so much money by not buying junk food and not paying for antidepessants and sleep medication. My Dad is 86 and is on at least 10 medications. I don't want that to happen to me.
  11. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I'm not on Atkins, per se. I'm doing the hypoglycemia diet which Dr. St. Amand recommends. I think that's even more strict than Atkins, but I'm not sure. I didn't feel as bad as you do but I've had some unpleasantness. I would have killed for a sandwich. I don't miss the sugar but I wanted my carbs!

That suddenly went away. The diahrrea is clearing up - now that Mikie has said I could have been herxing from removing foods that, in my case, the Candida loves, things suddenly make sense. It's been one month, 1 1/2 weeks and I'm feeling much, much better. The fatigue is disappearing, the pain I was in (hm-m-m, now that I think about it, it did start around the time I started the diet) has already disappeared. I don't want the carbs any more and I don't even want my sherry, which I thought would be impossible to give up without a fight. I couldn't wait until I could add some carbs (I'm doing the strict diet) but now I don't even care. Now it's just a matter of finding more things I can eat.

The 10 lbs I've lost doesn't hurt!

Keep at it and add those supplements. I was already taking magnesium, which improved my sleep immediately.

JoAnn
  12. barbiec1953

barbiec1953 New Member

While brushing my teeth I remembered some more benefits that I have gotten from the low carb healthy eating...used to have alot of plaque build-up on my teeth but now I have none except after a "treat meal". Also I had a lot of trouble with dry skin, with sporadic bouts of eczema. Tried all sorts of lotions and potions which just covered the problem never cured it. Had dry scaly bumps on the backs of my arms. I have read that that is a sign of omega 3 essential fatty acid defiency.Fish and grass fed beef have omega 3's in them. Anyway the bumps on my arms are practically all gone and my skin has gotten so nice !
  13. smoke

smoke New Member

Hi,
    I am not on a diet but my wife and I do take Herbalife Vitamins. She was on the diet for 3-6 months and lost a lot of weight and it made her feel great. At the first it is not easy. Anyway what I was wanting to tell you all is that the Herbalife has very good vitamins alot which I take for this DD. I have FMS/CFS and I am taking several vitamins that I beleive is helping with this DD. I do not know if the Atkins diet has the needed vitamins or not but they are a must if you diet like that.
  14. rigby

rigby New Member

you have to be very careful if you have any type of kidney problem because it puts you body into ketoneacdicois and can cause a lot of problem knew one lady who was one it only had one kidney due to giving her son one and really start messy with her remaining one Rigby

[ advertisement ]