Low Carb Diet and Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SolitaryDancer, Aug 10, 2006.

1. SolitaryDancer

SolitaryDancer New Member

I have seen quite a few references to low carb dieting and fibro.

I don't know what to think since I low carb on a regular basis due to diabetes.

Has anyone tried low carbing and if so did you notice a difference? I just wonder if I would be worse if I did not low carb.

Deb
  2. tcales

tcales New Member

i KNOW WHEN I DONT EAT BREADS, PASTA,JUNK SWEET FOODS.I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER.BUT BE SURE TO O\GET HEALTHY CARBS FOR ENERGY.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/11/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/11/2006]
  3. SolitaryDancer

Have you noticed any improvement with the fibro fog or pain?

Deb
  4. 2BDreamer

2BDreamer New Member

I started a low carb diet a few months ago, after three weeks of being very strict I was pain free. I then started adding good carbs in a few at a time to watch what would happen. I did great!! I even had a potato or corn once in awhile.

After a bit I started slipping to the old bread, sugar, chips again and the pain and fog came back, so back to low carb I went and feel great again. I'm going to stick with it, as a bit of watching my diet is so much better than the pain. I also stopped all pain medicine and vitamins. I really think it would help with your diabetes also. Try it and see how you feel.

dreamer
  5. SolitaryDancer

Wow that's wonderful it is helping you.

I have followed low carb for years because of diabetes and now it makes me wonder how much worse I would be if I did not.

WOW, that's food for thought. :)

By the way, have you or has anyone noticed a decrease in the fibro fog?
  6. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

I wonder is it ALL carbs or just "junk" carbs that we should eliminate. Is it still ok to eat whole grain breads, oats and brown rice?

Lolalee
  7. SolitaryDancer

For me I stay at about 20 grams of carbs per day. This eliminates virtually all grain products unless I bake them myself using things such as almond flour or Genisoy Protein Powder or Flax Meal.

This is the only way I can keep my blood sugar level low enough to avoid medication.

I do know we should all get rid of the sugar and white flour products. That, in and of itself is a great start.

Anyone else have any experience with Low Carb?

Deb
  8. PolarBear

PolarBear New Member

I'm interested in this too . . . I got the book titled Living the GI Diet from the library yesterday. I have requested the book titled The GI Diet, but it hasn't come in yet.

I started reading the book yesterday and it looks very interesting. Have any of you tried this diet?

I am very anxious to lose weight. I fell about 4 weeks ago and I gained 7 lbs in the first week after that. My rheumy put me on diuretics. I broke my toe, sprained everything else. The weight is not coming off, however. I called yesterday and my rhuemy referred me back to my regular doc and said I may need a stronger diuretic. Good grief!! I'm thinking I may just need to give my body extra time to heal, but I have never weighed this much and never in so short of a time period.

I have done Weightwatchers online in the past and had success, but when I tried again not long ago, I lost about 1 lb after doing it for about 3 weeks. So, I have decided to check into low-carb, and perhaps try that along side Weightwatchers.

I have connective tissue disease as well as the fibro, etc. I try to remain as active as possible, but the weight remains . . . sheesh!!

Anyway, this got a bit lengthy . . . sorry!

Hugs,
    PolarBear
  9. SolitaryDancer

I have always lost weight on low carb diets. But, for the past year when my symptoms became much more intense the weight loss has stopped. I can't seem to get it to budge.

Maybe it's something else, not our diet, that's keeping us from losing weight.

Deb
  10. PolarBear

PolarBear New Member

I have started thinking that there is something else going on because I truly do not eat that much. I have, however, started wondering if it is what I'm eating that is doing it. That's what made me think of the carbs. Also, my grandmother and my uncle had diabetes.

Even so . . . I still wonder if our bodies are just not reacting normally, given our illnesses. Kinda makes sense.

Hugs,
    PolarBear
  11. SolitaryDancer

OK that begs the question "How To Lose Weight?"

Has anyone been successful losing weight while dealing with fibro?

This is an interesting concept and is going on my list for the Doc.

I don't see him until next month so the more input we can get the more info I can give him.

We might have stumbled on something.

Deb
  12. tata1580

tata1580 New Member

Well it is not really my 2 cents worth but it is what I was told by a dr. that did make a little sense to me..

Re: weight gain

she said that lack of sleep will make you gain weight..she said that you body knows it is needing something so it starts by packing fat away...don't know if is true or not..but I do know that I am bigger than I have ever been in my life...I do not sleep and I really don't think that I eat that much either..

Carry On..

Tami
  13. SolitaryDancer

Good job. This is interesting. In the past I could lose weight via low carb and/or weight watchers without a problem. Over the past two years my sleep has gotten worse due to huge stressors and since that time I cannot lose the weight.

So, now is there anyone out there that has experienced weight loss once their sleep cycle got a bit better?

Interesting stuff.

Deb
  14. PolarBear

PolarBear New Member

I was diagnosed with extremely severe hypopnea/apnea in April and have been on CPAP since May. I was told that lack of quality sleep messes up our bodies, including weight gain. The only thing is, I have gained weight instead of losing while on the CPAP so far . . but it hasn't been that long yet so I am giving it more time and hoping it is something else causing the weight gain, which it very likely could be for me. Maybe it is still the swelling from falling or maybe it is from starting Bi-Est cream around the same time. Or maybe I'm eating too many carbs . . . hmmm . . .

PolarBear
  15. SolitaryDancer

It may not be how many carbs but the type of carbs. Can you give a sample day's meals. Maybe we can all offer each other some tips.

I'm very good at low carb since I've been doing it for a long time. If I can help I will.

Deb
  16. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

Dr St Amand believes that many people with fibromyalgia & CFS have hypoglycemia, a pre-diabetic condition that can be controlled with a low carb diet. His recommended diet is on his fibromyalgiatreatment website, & I imagine it's very close to the one that you are following now.

I find there's less brainfog & less pain when I follow it.
  17. SolitaryDancer

That is true and the diet very possibly can do good things. I am just the opposite of a hypoglycemic. Being a diabetic low carb does great in keeping my blood sugar from spiking, keeps my cholesterol very good and makes me feel better.

I think it's safe to say we all agree that low carbing is beneficial. But, I wonder why some of us are unable to lose weight using this type of diet, or any diet for that matter.

I am not hypothyroid. I do know that being hypothyroid will cause you to have weight gain and the inability to lose weight.

So I wonder why we have difficult losing weight?

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this?

Deb
  18. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

could you give me the address for that website? I can't think straight right now.

I know I should eat alot better, but I am so tired I don't even know where to start. I go to the grocery store and don't even know what to buy anymore.

What I need is a master grocerylist for a healthy lowcarb diet so I have the basics in the house at all times, and know what to buy when I am in the store.
    Raz
  19. SolitaryDancer

Here's the link to the site that was mentioned.

http://fibromyalgiatreatment.com/hypoglycemia.htm

I hope I'm allowed to do this. EEEk. If it disappears to just fibromyalgiatreatment.

If you need just good low carb stuff. Google for Atkins diet info or I hvae a web site full of low carb recipes but I don't know if I can post it. There are tons of low carbs recipes on the web.

I wish I could give more but I don't want to get hollered at. :)I'm still kind of new to the board.

Deb
  20. jole

jole Member

I was on the Atkins diet just as I came down with my first big flare of FM. I continued on it because my doc said carbs were a big no-no for us. Unfortunately, I lost down to 110 pounds which is quite a bit under where I should be and I looked very anorexic.

It did help the pain a little, but that was three years ago. Since then I went off it, gained 30 pounds and feel much worse. I keep thinking of trying it again, but the hardest thing for me is i have so much fog and fatigue right now I really don't have the energy to cook.

Also, I can't eat eggs (allergic) and that doesn't leave a lot left, especially for breakfast. that's what was the hardest for me. But I really can't think I'll lose that much weight again, because I have never weighed this much before (142)and just don't think I have the energy to do it.

Know that sounds stupid, but when I get home from work I grab something and off to bed. Too much effort any more. I hope to quit work and concentrate on just getting better one of these days. (The way I'm missing work, that decision may just be made for me!) LOL.

Friends - Jole