low carbs forever?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 4groups, Nov 15, 2002.

1. 4groups

4groups New Member

I'm recently diagnosed at Type II, and on a 1500 calorie, low carb diet to lose weight AND lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels. My md has prescribed 500mg daily of Glucophage and 5mg daily of Altace.
    Once weight is in an acceptable range, is the very low carb diet something I will continue? What about total daily calories?
  2. 4groups

4groups New Member

I'm recently diagnosed at Type II, and on a 1500 calorie, low carb diet to lose weight AND lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels. My md has prescribed 500mg daily of Glucophage and 5mg daily of Altace.
    Once weight is in an acceptable range, is the very low carb diet something I will continue? What about total daily calories?
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I am assuming you were diagnosed with type 11 diabetes? If so you need to go to the 'Message Boards' link, and click on 'Diabetes' board. This is the FM/CFS site.

We do have some members that are diabetics here, but you will find more help on the other board.

HOpe you get the information you need soon.

Shalom,Shirl
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Try not to think of it as a diet but rather a new way of life, a path to healthy living. None of us should be eating things which cause huge surges of insulin in the body (sugar, white flour, white rice, fruit juices, and white potatoes).

I will never eat these things again. When I reach my target weight, I will add a little whole grain bread and a very small serving of pasta on rare occasions. I get my carbs from fruit which does not cause large insulin releases.

In 8 days on the low carb diet, my blood pressure fell from high/normal to low/normal. I am insulin resistant, the precursor to Diabetes. I wanted to stop the IR before it went into full-blown diabetes. I will have my cholesterol checked when I see my doc later this month. I have lost 22 pounds with 18 to go.

I wish y'all could see people who have continued to eat carbs, developed Diabetes, become increasingly obese, become incapacitated due to failing knee joints from the obesity, and finally took up life in a corner of the sofa, unable to participate in life. Many of my older clients were in this situation. If IR and Diabetes are not addressed, it leads to a downward spiral of living death.

The Suzanne Somers cookbooks have delicious recipes which will make you feel like you are eating like royalty instead of being deprived. She even has a dessert cookbook for when you reach your desired weight. Her regimen is endorsed by a doctor of nutrition who treats Diabetics. Diabetes can lead to blindness and loss of limbs; it's nothing to mess around with. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie