low cortisol levels are bad

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WendyC, May 19, 2006.

1. WendyC

WendyC New Member

I developed hyperpigmentation, very dark teeth and all the symptoms of Addison's disease. After tests doctors didn't know what to do, I didn't have Addisons. FFC put me on cortisol and my symptoms are improving. My skin looks better, my teeth are lightening and my energy is better. So I have to disagree with some that say low cortisol isn't bad.

Wendyc
  2. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

I also feel better on the 10mg. of Cortisol from the Compounding Pharmacy. To the last poster, I had to start out really slow because I felt jittery and couldn't sleep when first starting so I dumped a little out for a week or so until I could tolerate 10mg. I don't have any problems with it now.

Laura
  3. WendyC

WendyC New Member

In fact I felt better from day one. I take one pill in the morning and I am good to go. My cortsol was below normal for over a year as one endochrinologist after another didn't know what to do. I used to have an irish pale peaches complexion. My skin turned a dark yellowish color. My gums and inside my mouth had dark brown blotches and any area that had clothing friction like my waste were stripes of dark brown. The teeth looked the worst. Who wants dark teeth that won't lighten no matter what you do? Anyway, I am doing better and hope that my skin and teeth return to normal soon.

Wendyc
  4. Sionnan

Sionnan New Member

Might I ask if you had blood levels or saliva levels taken? I'm confused because my homeopath took saliva and they were all low. My dr was not impressed, took blood samples and they were normal. I don't know who to believe.
  5. suz9601

suz9601 Member

There are 2 different reasons why someone can have low cortisol. One is the adrenals themselves are pooped out, the other a low ACTH that comes from the pituitary gland. My ACTH is low leading to low cortisol...

It is the people with pooped out adrenals, not low ACTH that get the darkening of skin this is due to the HIGH ACTH from the pituitary trying to get your worn out adrenals to make more cortisol.

It gets a lot more complicated when the cause is low ACTH...that is what I am dealing with now. Anyway, either way if someone has low cortisol, you can feel like death, which is where I am at.

Take care,
    Suz
  6. WendyC

WendyC New Member

I had a blood test done. As I remember, it has to be fasting. I am not sure if the saliva is as accurate. My levels had been around 9 for a year. As far as meds, regular doctors only prescribe prednisone, which I refused to take. The FFC prescribes a plant derived bio-identical, I believe its hydrocortisol? Anyway, it augments but doesn't take over for the gland which is more in keeping with my inclinations for natural over pharmaseutical. (sp?)

Wendyc
  7. Sionnan

Sionnan New Member

Thank you Wendy and fight. Both answers make sense and there was a month or so between levels.
  8. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

Wendyc this has put my mind at rest a little because I'm having my cortisol levels tested because I have developed brownish pigmentation on my lower gums, no darkening of teeth yet, but my dr wants to see if I have Addison's disease.

At least I know that it doesn't necessarily mean it's irreversible if this happens to you and that it may not mean Addison's disease.

Thank you
    Sue