Low Dose EffexorANyone Happy With it

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SusanEU, Mar 22, 2006.

1. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

I am having some mind blowing panic attacks and don't want to leave the house, let alone even get dressed, etc. I feel like I might be slipping into depression now too.

It is not so much the pain, I could start dealing with that if I could get through the anxiety, panic and isolation. I'm pretty much at the end of my rope and feel I need to bite the bullet and turn to the antidepressants.

I have to go get my bloodwork done for thryroid, glucose, etc, but too scared!

I tried the Elavil for a few days and I didn't
    particularily like it, and it made me restless, not sleepy.

Help!!
    Sue in Ontario
  2. lmmillion

lmmillion New Member

I tried many other AD's but didn't like the side effects. Most commonly, drowsiness and dry mouth. The Effexor really worked well for me and I was on it for several years. Now that I have a new insurance plan, my Dr. switched me to a similar drug(Cymbalta) since it was covered the same as Effexor. I've been feeling a lot more energetic and less irritable on the Cymbalta. The Effexor would have probably done the same thing if we had upped the dose a little. I'm on a little higher dose with Cymbalta than I was on with the Effexor.
  3. Slangx

Slangx New Member

I'm on 75mg of Effexor. It's ok. I definitely know it if I don't take it for a couple days (and w/d from it is really no fun at all).

I still don't feel as....I don't know, "competent" I guess, as I used to be. I'm not as energetic, on top of things, good at things, etc as I was several years ago. But that may just be my pain level - which has increased dramatically over the past few years.

But I started on Zoloft (100 mg) probably 8 yrs ago or so. My hubby is disabled, & the stress of fighting Work Comp, Soc Sec, Doctors, Lawyers, his job, etc was overwhelming, plus the financial ruin. Get this: I had to sell my HOUSE to pay off my CAR because it got re-po'd! How crazy is that? Well, the Zoloft really helped me cope.

Anyway, a couple years ago I suddenly felt like Zoloft was no longer working. I was sad, depressed, unmotivated, sluggish, exhausted, completely stupid, couldn't concentrate, couldn't get my work done, etc.

So I went thru a bunch of stuff: Prozac, Paxil, Lexapro, and now Effexor. Like I said, I don't feel as "on it" as when I took Zoloft, but then again it could be because of my pain and FM. When I started Zoloft, I didn't have, or wasn't diagnosed with, FM. I only had migraines, which I've had most of my life anyway. Maybe the stress of hubby's disability brought on the FM. Or maybe it was the car accident I was in.

If you give Effexor a fair shot & still don't feel better, by all means, try something else! They work similarly, but have slightly different "molecular shapes"...so each drug "fits" into a diff. shape of neuron receptor, so to speak. Everyone's receptors are different, so you just need to find the drug that "fits" you best. (that's how it was explained to me - I hope that makes sense).

But if you don't like Effexor - WITHDRAW SLOWLY! Otherwise you'll have shakes, sweats, nausea, etc. It's really no fun.

Good luck! Oh - and get that bloodwork done! Knowledge is power, it's better to know than not.
    C.
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I take 75 mg of Effexor once a day in the evening.

I do feel better and have been on it for about a year and a half. Most of these AD seem to take a while to work and to get past the side effects. I haven't had any side effects since the first couple weeks.

Feel better!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  5. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Thanks for your posts.

I will give it a try next week, once I get off of the Florazol I'm taking for BV.

She only gave me 37.5mg to start, so if it helps me get out of the house and back into life, it is worth a shot.

God Bless,

Sue in Ontario
  6. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Everyone reacts differently to drugs. That is why there are so many of them.

However, Paxil is supposed to be better for panic attacks and anxiety than is Effexor.

I have been on Effexor for over eight years and would love to get off the stuff. Miss a dose and you regret it, plus I think it is losing its' effect and I think it has played a part in my weight gain.

My psychiatrist will not budge, increased my dose, instead. I am going to a new FM doc, and I am going to ask to switch with their assistance.

Personally, I would never, ever try Effexor again.
  7. nselissen

nselissen New Member

Effexor is the fastest working one for me. I take 350 mgs in the mornning with a wellbrutin and then 8 hours later another wellbrutin to give my effexor a kick.

I know for a fact if I was not on these meds I would be dead.

I am sorry if it doesn't work for some of yuo and hope you do find a bit of a fix.

Luv
    NancyV