Low Dose Naltrexone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by W4TC, Aug 6, 2009.

1. W4TC

W4TC New Member

Has anyone here tried low dose naltrexone? I just heard about it and read of someone doing quite well on it, so I'm wondering what other's experiences were? Thanks.
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Im intersted too. I have also read that there is improvement in your immune system with it, eg increase in natural killer cells etc as well as pain relief and increase in energy.
  3. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I began treatment a few months ago and can't begin to tell you both how much I love it. Has it taken all my pain, well no. But if my pain is at a 7 it can bring it down to a 5. Anything for me pain wise at an 8 or over nothing really helps.

Overall I would guesstimate that I have received about a 10-15% reduction in pain.

Doesn't sound like much but which would you pick a pain level at 7 or a pain level of 5:)

I have also experienced no side effects with this treatment.

It a bonus treatment all the way around. But you have to be willing to give up the narcotics...and those were a few very rough weeks.

4. W4TC

W4TC New Member

have only heard good things from people who have tried it.

Debra.. did you see improvements in any other symptoms? I do not have much pain.. my main issue is exhaustion/post exertional malaise, sensory overload, POTS, etc. Did the drug help your energy levels at all?

Much thanks.

PITATOO Member

Does anyone know how naltrexone can help with pain if it is an opioid blocker? Or how is it suppose to work with persons in pain. I am looking for anything to help without frying my liver basically. I have been on ultram(tramadol) for 12 years - yes it does work and does help - take 300 mg a day I was up to 400(the max) but now for 3+ years down to 300mg - sometimes 250(5 tabs). Of course would like to be on none as it can be harsh on the liver. My AST/ALT was about a little high so looking for something to help without added to the toxicity.??
  6. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

You might want to ck. in with a compounding pharmacist about your questions.

From what I know, as an LDN user, it would be inadvisable to combine Ultram with LDN. Usually a weaning off of narcotic-related meds is necessary before starting LDN. The two meds work in very different ways, and do not work well together.

Full-dose naltrexone (50 mg. once or twice per day -- used for rehab purposes) is in some people associated with elevated liver enzymes. Therefore, naltrexone is not entirely benign as far as liver function is concerned. However, the doses used in LDN (low-dose: typically around 4 mg/day, sometimes less) are as you can see a fraction of the proven liver-stressing dose.

Nevertheless, since your liver enzymes are at present elevated, it would be advisable to follow them if you decide to pursue a course of LDN.

Best wishes.
  7. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

Sorry it took me so long to check this thread, this weekend has been tough.

W4TC..Sorry to say but I've only experienced pain relief benefits, fatigue, cognition, all still dealing with that. I wish I had something more positive to share with you. Trust me I can relate to your fatigue complaints.

Puddleglum..I'm a weird one it seems, since the FM rears it ugly little head, I actually catch less colds, flu, etc. But when I do get them I'm down for a long time.

Pitatoo..Yes, LDN is an opioid blocker. How it works I'm not sure...except to say that I've tried so many pain med's and received little to no relief from the pain. The weeks I had to be weaned off Norco were terrible. But the relieve I receive from this therapy happened fast and the medication has very low chance of side effects:) Oh..I also have rises in my liver enzymes prior to beginning LDN trerapy. they have been normal at least to date.

Let me know if I've not been clear in answering your questions...I'm in a fibro fog and I have 0 visability...lol!

Take care,

8. LonelyHearts

LonelyHearts New Member