low dose naltrexone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat0465, Sep 27, 2009.

1. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

anyone else taking it?? just wanted to tell everybody my expierence with it. it has cut my bad foot pain( could hardly walkk in the mornings & has even helped my costo pain & my spine pain also.

i have been on it almost 2 months & then ran out for about 3 weeks, & now my pain is much worse, so i know it helped.
    Just thought i'd let ya'll know about the Naltrexone. it's helped my pain a lot!! theres lots of info on the drug on the net, the good thing is there wasent any bad side effects
    Kat
  2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Yes, Kat. I've been on LDN since July/08. It has worked well for me, though it's not a cure.

Best wishes.
  3. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

but it really helps the pain more than anything else i've tried, and i have tried just about everything!! unfortunately it dosent touch my exhaustion & no stamina

I still Pray for a cure, But at 44 and feeling more like 84, i don't know if they will find one while im still here.Hopefully one day! i don't think this is going away anytime soon,in fact it seems FM/CFS is growing everyday.
    Kat
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I am taking it, but have only been on it for about a month....and am only on 1/4 of the 4.5 mg capsule - the full amt was WAY too much for me to start with....am going to try increasing it gradually.....I have noticed less pain, though, even on such a tiny amt
  5. bretzie

bretzie Member

Has anyone found that LDN helps reduce weakness?
  6. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Not much was known then, I herx'd bad at 1.5mg, then 3mg then 4.5mg but then it stopped....well...working. So I thought. So I quit.

I found out 2 years later that it takes a full 4 months until it really kicks in.

Naltrexone was developed to help the drug addicts slow down on their addictions by working on the opiate centers of the brain. The researchers also noted that the patients never got sick.

Keep in touch if someone notes that this really is helping. I found that I have Lyme and have to stick with doxycycline for 3 more months. but always listening and learning.
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am also interested if LDN helps with PEM or just plain tiredness. I don't get weak just exhausted mentally and physically.

Thanks.
    gap
  8. znewby

znewby Member

Do some people take ldn in cream format. The pharmacist gave a prescription for the cream but I do not know if it is as effective as the pill format? anyone know? Thanks!
  9. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I'm familiar with the concept of LDN cream for use w/autistic kids. Seems to be helpful for many of them -- with the usual caveats.

I'd think that the one possible complication with using a cream in an adult is potential interference of other topical substances/moisturizers/whatnot. Your pharmacist should be able to advise.

Liquid & cream LDN are pretty easy for beginners, if you're starting low & slowly adjusting the dose upward.

Best wishes.
  10. out of this post.... but, wanted to say, regarding overall effectiveness, as well as bretzie's question regarding 'weakness'..

An old friend of mine I used to chat with on an MS site- who has had MS for around 40 years now... wrote a book.... not JUST on LDN, on various MS treatments...

But, in chat, he had very few 'minuses' with LDN, and massive *improvements* after being on it, for quite sometime... He was not able to stand/walk well, (if at all- it has been at least 3 yrs since we've spoken) I believe he was not able to walk, though..

He dealt with severe weakness, AND spasticity (I myself do as well, but not to his degree) and I do know that while it seems 2 of my friends with MS (one with fibro & systemic scleroderma also) have had rough times, while starting LDN, adjusting doses, etc....

They both seem to sing it's praises. My female friend with MS, fibro, & other conditions... not so much... but my friend in his 60's has regained so much, that MS had taken away (and we're talking years of damage) seems tickled pink at what life he has gained from it.

His book is now on Amazon, his own site, and his neurologist allowed distribution in his office, as well, before sales really picked up.

That's all I can add to this, but, hope it helps you "LDN" ers.
  11. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

and I think it does help with pain, but so far, it hasn't helped the fatigue. Dr. Lapp recommends it as well.