Low Dose Naltrexone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mafusula, Jul 18, 2010.

1. mafusula

mafusula New Member

My Dr (pain and stress management as well as GP), has recommended I try LDN. I would love some feedback from anyone who has tried it or who is using it now and let me know what you think of it?
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I've been on it for about 10 months now, and have found that it helps some with pain and would help with energy, too, if I could get the dose higher......however, I cannot tolerate more than 2.2 mg every third night, so the effects are not as strong as I would hope

my advice if you decide to try it is to start with an incredibly low amount (others have had to do this, too)....like .5 mg (seriously that low)......see how you do on it (many people find the first week is tough, as is the first week that they increase the dose), but then they get used to it

some people wind up taking it in the morning, because it can disrupt sleep, but most people believe that taking it around 9 or 10 PM is best because the body's endorphins levels peak around 3 AM and the PM dosing works with this

also if you are on thyroid medicine for hypo (not hyper), you may find that you need to lower the dose of the thyroid meds, because the two together can wind up causing hyper thyroid issues.....if you start with a really low dose of the LDN, you shouldn't have too many problems, though

also if you do try it make sure you get it in the NON-sustained release form and there is something that it cannot be mixed with (in the pill itself)....can't remember what that is, but the website lowdosenaltrexone.org has that info on it (& a lot more good info)[This Message was Edited on 07/19/2010]
  3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I've been on LDN for close to two years. I took many months to build up my dose, but in time it became very helpful. I have fibro. With LDN, I got my life back -- my ability to garden & do volunteer work, to participate in activities for up to 6 hrs. at a time before hitting the wall.

I'm quite sensitive to meds & have not had bad side effects from the LDN. There was a little nausea (come & go) until my body got used to it, & a bit of sleep disturbance which I've treated with melatonin, but otherwise haven't had many side effects.

If you do try LDN, be sure to notify your HCP if you need emergency sedation or if you need sedation for a procedure. I stopped my LDN 10 days before my most recent colonoscopy, but they still needed to amp up the sedative (synthetic opiate: fentanyl) because apparently there was still some receptor blockade from the LDN after 10 days.

Good luck.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/19/2010]
  4. lukro

lukro Member

for 11 days. It seriously messed w/ my thyroid and I ended up very hyper. I felt totally insane by the 11th day, although I was lowering my thyroid meds. I started w/ 1.5 mgs and my MD wanted me to work up to 3 mgs.

I have fibro and it did help w/ the pain, but I am sure it was not worth the relief because of all the other side-effects.

I MAY try to dose once a week and see if that will help with the pain. I am not ready to try that protocol because of the bad memories from the last time I tried it.