LOW DOSE NALTREXONE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nickname, May 10, 2003.

1. nickname

nickname New Member

I have read that some of you are on LDN. My Dr has just given me a prescription for this - 3mg to be taken in the morning. I have the imbalance in the TH1/TH2 of the immune system, and he said that it would bring the TH1 up to better functioning.

Could u pls advise the following:
    :positive/negative effects of LDN, and how long before kicking in.
    :Do any of u take Armour thyroid with LDN - is there any contraindication that u have found?
    :I read on the web that it should be taken at night, but my consultant has said the morning - any suggestions?
    :Does it interfer with your sleep?
    :Does it make u feel hyper?

With many thanks
    Nickname.
  2. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Amazing timing! I just read an article about Dr. Bernard Bihari's work using Naltrexone (which I think also is called LDN) in treating some patients with multiple sclerosis. According to the article, the drug was developed to treat heroin addiction. Dr. Bihari was involved in adapting its use for AIDS patients and then tried it on some MS patients with apparently good results.

Here's an excerpt from the article:

----------------
    <<< A small dose of the drug taken nightly at bedtime triples the endorphin levels in the body all of the next day restoring levels to normal. Since endorphin levels are low in people with MS, immune function is poorly orchestrated with significant impairment of the normal immune supervisory function of CD4 cells. In the absence of normal orchestration of immune function, some of the immune system cells "forget" their genetically determined ability to distinguish between the body's 100,000 unique chemical structures (called "self") and the chemical structures of bacteria, fungi, parasites and cancer cells (called non-self"). With this loss of immunologic memory, some cells begin to attack some of the body's unique chemical structures. >>
    ----------------

Since the drug apparently works on the immune system, and since fibro and CFS are thought to be auto-immune conditions, it makes sense that it might work for fibro and CFS much as it works in MS. However, this article makes me wonder why your doctor wants you to take the Naltrexone in the morning.
    You might want to ask your doctor about this.

If the group would be interested, I would be happy to post the complete article about Naltrexone.

--Laura R.M.
  3. sb439

sb439 New Member

I also consider taking the low dose Naltrexone - and would be as interesed as Nickname in hearing from anyone who has taken it, e.g. what it did to them if anything.
    Many thanks,
    Susanne
  4. nickname

nickname New Member

Many thanks for your replies. Have been off the message boards for a little while due to a very close friend losing her fight to cancer, - it has really wiped me out.
    Am still waiting for my prescription to arrive, so have not started it yet. I can only assume that my dr thought to prescribe it in the mornings due to my mammoth sleep problem, and the only apparent draw back to this very small dose, is that it can interfer with sleep in a small number of people, but I will have to check that with him.
    I'll keep u posted as to my reactions and progress over the next few weeks.
    With best wishes - Nickname.