low dose prednisone caused major bone loss

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sofy, Nov 23, 2002.

1. sofy

sofy New Member

In a previous post it said 15mgs. prednisone was low enough not to cause side effects. A 2 year treatment started at 30mgs and tapered to 7.5 mgs. Was ravenously hungry the entire time. Would have gained mega lbs except for absolute self control. Slept very little and went like hell while awake. I was me to the 10th power and then some. My bones took a big hit and now have the dreaded osteoporosis. Be careful with this stuff because it can do bad things to you even in low doses. We are all different.
  2. sofy

sofy New Member

In a previous post it said 15mgs. prednisone was low enough not to cause side effects. A 2 year treatment started at 30mgs and tapered to 7.5 mgs. Was ravenously hungry the entire time. Would have gained mega lbs except for absolute self control. Slept very little and went like hell while awake. I was me to the 10th power and then some. My bones took a big hit and now have the dreaded osteoporosis. Be careful with this stuff because it can do bad things to you even in low doses. We are all different.
  3. sheri

sheri New Member

I learned on the net that Prednisone would leach calcium-I had to be on it for a few weeks, but I have strange tolorances to it. It workes like a hormone on me, PMSy when I am beyond that...but mostly, it just tears my stomach up!
    Its too bad that they cannot come with something that would do the same job, but not create more lasting problems. It seems its a trade-off. To help one problem, creates another.
    The strangeness also is that it did help only some of my inflammation, but not a lot of it, and like I said, these ulcers from using it, are a battle. blessings, sheri