low ferritin levels, trace blood in urine, ultrasound needed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by razorqueen, Dec 2, 2005.

1. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

well well, what else can go wrong? Apparantly I had trace blood in a urine sample back in '03(wasn't told) had a physical a few months back, had another urine sample. Trace blood in that and found out my ferritin levels are low. Doc said that is something that happens slowly over time (since '03 maybe?) Had to do a 24hr urine colection, still trace urine. Now I have to have an ultra sound of my bladder. No visible blood, no pain, just urgency to pee, especially at night.
    So I guess if I am bleeding somewhere in there, that would be why my ferritin levels are low and I am anemica, and extra EXHAUSTED!=S
    I told my husband lastnight, just bring it on! lol
    Raz
  2. kch64

kch64 New Member

I have low ferritin also. It's chronic. I just had blood taken yesterday, but I'm expecting to go back on the iron.

It does make you feel more tired and weak and have more pain.

I tried the melatonin suggestion for my sleep (you gave on my post). It did help me. Thanks.

If you're still menstruating, sometimes blood will show in the urine if it was taken close to the end or beginning of your cycle.
    It could be a false positive.

It can show positive up to a week afterward. I was told this by a doctor.

Kendra
  3. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

were taking in the middle of my cycle (no period) to make sure there would be no blood from that. I have been extra tired and right now having alot of extra aching. I resently found out that my thyroid is low too. So I am now on treatment for that too.
  4. kch64

kch64 New Member

Sounds like your doc is taking care of you. Glad they found the thyroid issue and the iron. I ache more when my iron is low.

I also take thyroid hormone. It will help, but takes a bit of time.

Hang in there
  5. lease79

lease79 New Member

I am back to borderline Iron Deficient AGAIN, & always have traces of blood in my urine. I think that there are quite a few others around here that have the same problem.
    The dr's have told me with the traces of blood in my urine that it's 'just the way I am'. I believe there's more to it than that though.
    Hope that they figure out what's going on with you ;)
  6. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I've battled this all my life, but it's getting worse the closer I get to menopause. My hemoglobin was 6.4 last week (the nurse said most people would be unconscious!) and my last ferritin count was 1. I just had a comprehensive celiac panel to rule that out and everything was negative.

My problem is that I have a genetic condition called porphyria that keeps me from incorporating iron into hemoglobin and the more I take the sicker I get. I've tried every form of iron on the market and right now am eating rice baby cereal with electrolytic iron. I still get severe headaches, but at least it's milder symptoms than taking a supplement.

I had some blood in my urine a few weeks ago, too, but the culture came back negative. No symptoms of an infection, so who knows. I hope you get some answers.

Jan
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

sorry to hear about your iron struggles, sounds crappy.

Have you tried taking liver tablets? Dessicated liver is cheap and an excellent source of the best absorbed heme iron. Cod liver oil may be an option too.

Hopefully you aren't a strict vegetarian, not that it isn't a good choice for some, but w/ your extra problems w/ iron it would make for a formidable hurdle.

Jeanne
  8. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

my hemoglobin is normal, just my ferritin is low.
    Lease, did your doc do an ultra sound of your bladder to see if he could find where the blood was coming from?
  9. razorqueen

razorqueen Member