Low Human Growth Hormone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AJME, Sep 27, 2002.

1. AJME

AJME New Member

Hello all,

My doctor said today that I could be low in HGH. That is why I'm sore after exercise and I don't tolerate it well. My body is not efficiently repairing the damage done during exercise.

He wants me to do a test to check for HGH. A stress test.
    I guess to see how my levels of HGH are after exercise.

He told me that 2 of 3 FM patients do well on HGH.

Anyone here taking HGH for FM?

Does insurance plan cover tests for low HGH?

Thanks!
  2. AJME

AJME New Member

Hello all,

My doctor said today that I could be low in HGH. That is why I'm sore after exercise and I don't tolerate it well. My body is not efficiently repairing the damage done during exercise.

He wants me to do a test to check for HGH. A stress test.
    I guess to see how my levels of HGH are after exercise.

He told me that 2 of 3 FM patients do well on HGH.

Anyone here taking HGH for FM?

Does insurance plan cover tests for low HGH?

Thanks!
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Do a search of the previous posts here and you will find lots of info on this. There are at least 2 taking hGH that I know of. I just had my IGF-1 level checked (no results yet), since testing hGH directly is innacurate, unless you do an hGH stim test, which is what it sounds like your doctor wants to do. I can't afford to pay for a stim test and insurance (Medicare) won't cover it. It is over $600. The IGF-1 is between $100-180, so if they won't cover it, I'll pay it myself since I think this issue is so important. Check with your insurance company before haing the test to see if it's covered. Even if you do test low, you may need to get in some kind of experimental program to be able to afford it, since the injections are so expensive. If your questions are not answered by looking at previous posts, post something directed to Lakediver or PaulMark and ask them. Lakediver has had wonderful results with hGH and PaulMark has had problems, so you will get both sides of the story.
    Klutzo
  4. mikeymom

mikeymom New Member

Good advice about checking with insurance co. before test done. My carrier approved the test. I ended up getting the test for free because I signed up for a research study.
    My growth hormone was not stimulated and was at a low level. I was told that GH would be my savior. The insurance company refused to pay for it and it is very expensive. The drug company would pay for 2-3 months initially and I would have to pay them back. End result, I never was able to try it. A repeat stim test showed that I was able to produce GH (though at a very low nl limit it was wnl). I always found it odd that the repeat test was ok and it was during one of those rare time periods of feeling GOOD. I think there is something to this. Have you ever had your carnitine level checked.?? Good luck!!
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Please post for Lakediver or PaulMark. Don't give up yet!!! Lakediver is getting her hGH injections free as part of an Eli Lily program,and Paul Mark is getting his really cheap (I think he told me about $58 for 7 weeks worth) from some place in Missouri). I don't think I am allowed to list the name of the place here??? Just write them a post about this and keep bumping it up until they see it. Good luck,
    Klutzo
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hgh is produced when we exercise and when we sleep. No wonder so many of us are deficient. I do use the sublingual stimulator and it does help. My spray is clogged and I need to return it to the health food store for another. Seems I've just been too busy with other things to take it back.

Love, Mikie

7. Dara

Dara New Member

and it showed my growth hormone at 60, I believe average is around 250. They wanted to do the testing to see if my petuitary gland would or could produce the hormone, but as of yet my insurance has not verified if they will pay for it or not. I was told it was between 700 to 1000 dollars, which I don't have. There is a blind study being condusted at OHSU Fibromyalgia Clinic. Problem there, is you won't know if you're getting the "real thing" or placebo.

Dara
  8. fibolady

fibolady New Member

a year ago i started using gh tablets which we ordered over the internet. actually, i had been really doing very poorly with the fms and they did help after a few months. the best part was they actually increased my sex drive! i was having "horny" excuse my french, dreams at night again. it had been years since this had occured. even people that had not seen me in 6 months commented on how much better and healthier i looked.

but, my doctor told me that any gh tabs would not be enough gh to make any difference, i was basically wasting my money, and he wouldn't even discuss the gh shots because they were so expensive.

the last 4 or 5 months i have been off these, order got lost somewhere and just have not pursued it and i don't feel that much worse, but i have absolutely lost my "sex dreams." i truely believe they were helping. i am going to get back on them and see what happens. i need all the stimulation in that department i can get, as do many of us!!!!!!!

warm regars, fibolady
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Was one of the benefits I noticed too. Increased lubrication was another (sorry, guys, not trying to gross y'all out, but this is a problem for menopausal women). My body became tighter and I lost 12 pounds. My skin looked much younger too. This was just prior to getting too sick to continue working. Once my poor ole bod gave out, it was quick.

L-Dopa medications really increase libido. I dated a man with Parkinson's Disease when I lived in Denver. He was like a teenager!

Love, Mikie