low impact at home exercises?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Jul 14, 2006.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

i was just wondering what low impact exercises you can do at home?

i usually walk three to four times a week for almost two hours, but since summer school started i've barely been able to get out.

anyways, i tried doing some weight exercises the other day, for my triceps, and my arms STILL haven't recovered. it was the lowest weight, too, about 4 lbs?

could it still tone your muscles if it takes five or six days before you can exercise those muscles again? 'cause i thought you had to do it like every other day, or every three days, something like that.

and i feel absolutely awful with all this weight i've put on from meds. i'm not losing anything by just walking, so i need to step it up a bit.

and i'm too self concious to go take classes at the gym =[,
    besides the fact that there's no way i could go to the gym for an hour and a half WITH my summer school classes.

any suggestions?
  2. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

that I got at Wal-Mart for under a hundred dollars. It is quiet, no resistance, both upper and lower body exercise, and you can make it as easy or fast a workout as you like. Much prefer it to an exercise bike. It folds up for storage if you don't have room to leave it up. Not difficult, but a little inconvenient.

There might be some video/cd workouts that would help -- less expense involved.
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

How about Tai Chi or Yoga Videos/CDs.

I think you are supposed to wait at least a day between goes at weight exercises.
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Dani,
    You may be using too heavy a weight to do your exercises. My Doc. recommends doing the exercises without weights initially and then working up very slowly. She suggests the 10% rule to increase. Four lbs. is a lot of weight for us if you haven't been doing it. The book Strong Women Stay Young has been recommended to me. Start with 3 reps and work up to 8 without weights and then start weights if you are doing well. Three times a week is plenty.

I know how you feel about trying to lose the weight but often we overdo in our enthusiasm. One doctor told me that eating right was far more important than a lot of exercise.
    I have managed to lose 11 lb ( and counting!) since June 5 and the exercise I can do is very limited. Just be patient and it will happen.

Kathy.
  5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I found the series of movements in a quitting smoking booklet. They have similar ones for getting the stiffness out at the office when you sit too long.

If the weather is crappy, I walk around the house several times before and after the exercises to warm up my muscles and move lymph and get circulation going. If weather permits, I walk outside in the yard. I do the movements slow and do deep breathing while I do them. They basically consist of moving your head and neck forward and backward, from side to side, and turning your neck to the left then right. You hold each movement for a count of 5, breathing deeply at each hold. Also, raising the shoulders as high as you comfortably can, arms at your side and raise each arm over your head, arms streatched in from of you at shoulder level/hands together, then bring your hands to your armpits w/ elbows pointed out, legs raises from the chair, and ankle rotation circles 5 circles one way and then 5 the other.

These keep my back, shoulder, arm and leg, and neck muscles much stronger. I get weaker and have more pain, and also am more prone to strains if I slack off for awhile. My need for pain meds also goes up if I don't exercise. I alternate these range of motion exercises w/ longer outside walking every second day. I usually take a day off every week or so to just rest, and/or focus more on housework.

Jeanne
  6. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

I have to second the rebounder suggestion -- I have one and I love it.

I've read that it can help a lot with lymph detox, too -- don't know how true or not that is, but I do know that it is a great, relatively cheap way to exercise at home. As you get more fit, there are rebounding videos you can buy with rebounding workouts, and also you can add hand and ankle weights to make the workout harder (I used to do that before I got so sick with this last bout of lyme).

I'm finally able to exercise a little again -- and I am using the rebounder to slowly work up to a real pace.