Low in Serotonin but Norepinephrine Level is normal

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msSusan, Oct 19, 2006.

1. msSusan

msSusan Member

Does anyone know what meds or natural supplements would help me with FM pain issues? Tests showed that my levels of epinephrine were very low, Nori/epi ratio was high, dopamine was low, histamine was elevated.

Have tried:
    SAM-E- very sick to stomach at 400 mg
    Prozac-caused more FM pain at 20 mg
    Celexa- very sick to stomach at 5 mg, more FM pain
    Amino Acid supplements- severe headaches and stomach issues
    Ultraclear Plus- severe headaches, contains taurine

I would think that SNRI's wouldn't help because my norepinephrine is already normal? Any suggestions?
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

L-Tryptophan at night to raise Seratonin. Generally, you take 500 mg. per every 50 lbs. of body weight. MUST take with Vit B-6 so Seratonin is converted in brain and not the intestines. Don't even bother to take it without the B-6. I cannot convert B-6 to the active form, so I must take P5P.

Also, maybe try DL-Phenylalanine in the morning. Later in the afternoon will likely keep you awake at night. I take 1000 mg., sometimes a bit more. BOTH of these should be taken AWAY from other protein sources.

Interestingly, I have used SAM=e, Amino Acid complexes, and Ultraclear Plus, also with trouble. A lot of my problems are because I have trouble with Phase II detoxification. You must too, as your Dr. had you trying the UltraClear Plus.

A way around some of these miserable symptoms from the amino acids and Ultraclear Plus, might be to use Bentonite Clay or Activated Charcoal. I have used Bentonite Clay for years, but never tried it with the aminos or ultraclear plus.

The L-Tryptophan and DL-Phenylalanine I have used for about 5 years, and NO problem at all. They are my mainstays. The L-Tryptophan is available from a Compounding pharmacy or online. I DO NOT recommend the brand "Doctors BEST". It is crap in my book. Brands I have used and recommend are BIOS, Litdke, Craig and Nokomis Nutrition own brand.

The DL-Phenylalanine is available in any health food store for less than $10. This will help your body make dopamine and is my only pain medication.

Hope some of this helps.
  3. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I would recommend the DLPA to start with also. (I thought I wrote a post on this earlier, but it seems to have gotten lost in the mail.)