Low insulin - normal glucose - anybody know?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by toronto133, Dec 22, 2005.

1. toronto133

toronto133 New Member

Does anybody have an idea of why my insulin levels were abnormally low (19 on ref range of 40-190) yet my blood glucose level was normal? My doctor has no idea. Is having low insulin a concern?

Thanks,

Denise
  2. sdown

sdown New Member

I was on a penicillin recently called cefuroxime and I read on the internet that it can cause a false reading on a diabetes test when your on this medication. So I dont know if this helps you but some medications can cause false readings on tests. Im on cortef (a steroid) for adrenal gland exhaustion and I was told by the doctor if I get tested for infections the results might come out negative when indeed they are positive. So the cortef masks the results of the test for infection. So maybe in your case you should mention this to the doctor. Ask him if any meds you are on would interfere with certain test results.
  3. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

But it does seem weird. Are the insulin and glucose tests inexpensive enough that you could have them repeated, just to see if the results were the same?
  4. Frecker777

Frecker777 New Member

Hi Denise,
    I am a little confused by your reference numbers—usually fasting insulin is measured as normal between say 5u/Ml to 20. What lab did you use? Regardless, if your glucose level is normal, a low fasting insulin level is ideal.

A doctor I trust says “Your fasting insulin level should be 5 or below -- the lower the better. A fasting insulin level above 10 suggests profound insulin disturbances; the higher the number, the worse off you are.”

Higher insulin levels can correspond with Type 2 diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome X—only worry about a low insulin level if your glucose level is strongly elevated since this could indicate Type 1 diabetes.
    -Carrie
  5. toronto133

toronto133 New Member

Carrie...the lab is in Canada so I believe the measurements are different. Thanks for the reassurance and information, one less thing that I need to be worried about!

Denise