Low Iron Stores....Please Have this checked!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hugs4evry1, Mar 15, 2009.

1. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Hi all,

I noticed a post on high Iron levels but wanted to mention that the other side of that coin needs to be checked as well.

A specific blood test for how your body uses the iron needs to be done, not just a regular CBC (doc told me this)

My iron stores were only 14!!!! and they can (should) be as high as a few hundred.

After beginning iron supplements a few weeks ago, I now have more energy and feel better than I have in 4 years!!!!!!! And my doc just doubled my daily dose.

I knew something was wrong, I've even had blood drawn at least 4 times in the last few months....but wow, the change has been amazing.

I can do more now in one day than in two weeks previously. Not kidding, my wits are sharp, (I'm even funny sometimes) I'm noticing things in my house that need to be done that I hadn't even seen in too long to mention.

Not only am I getting big things done, but little bitty things too.

I had a monster crash a few years ago and was only running on about 20 to 27% of my old self. I thought I was stuck with this. I would be happy if I woke up feeling mildly human, now I wake up feeling like I'm alive again.

In the last few years I've been dx with borderline diabetes, autoimmune thyroid disease, severe hypoglycemia (have to eat at least every 2 hours to keep my blood sugar up) etc......but I knew something else was wrong.

Please get new symptoms checked, never let a doc put everything in the 'fibro basket'.

2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Hi Nancy, I'm assuming it was your Ferretin that was low? Mine too, for several years now. I have tried taking a Chelated Iron and also Feosol. Both are supposed to be gentler on the digestive tract. Both bother my stomach, BIG TIME.

Just curious, what are you taking?

3. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Can you have low Ferritin and still have a normal hemoglobin? I always thought taking iron was bad for bone and muscle pain?

I can see that this is an important level--why don't doctors check for this? I need to have mine checked.
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm not sure why doctors don't check for this but I'm so glad mine finally did.

I'm assuming that's what he meant when he said a CBC lab doesn't find this. I'm guessing my regular bloodwork was fine, since it was done at least 3 times prior to finding this. (And we were checking the thyroid again too to see if my Levothyroxine was working)

I'm taking Nature Made Iron supplements 65mg twice a day as he prescribed. I know he said they can be at least 200 and my number was 14.

As for having too much iron, yes that can be a problem too, as noted on the other thread.

I don't think my body processes anything correctly anymore....

5. dannybex

dannybex Member

If an iron supplement doesn't work very well, it could be that you are low in copper -- copper helps transport iron from storage to make new red blood cells, etc.

Also, some people take dessicated liver capsules -- because they contain iron, vitamin a, copper, b vitamins -- all the things you need to raise your iron and hemoglobin levels.

Another way is to eat lean red meat 2-3 times a week.

6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I do take a good multi vitamin, in fact it's the Fibro Complete Multi with Malic Acid from here at Pro Health.

I've had a hysterectomy so I'm not losing iron this way. I eat all meats so that shouldn't have been a problem either.

Have no idea how this happened, but hubby tested low iron stores as well.

7. ladybugmandy

ladybugmandy Member

my iron went down gradually since i first got CFS. 2 years ago, it was "5" and normal starts at "18".

eventually, i found out that i had had chronic viral infection (EBV/HHV6) the entire time, which was depleting my iron stores. my local GP didn't know any better and just gave me iron pills, which helped for about 1 day.

please check out "anemia of inflammation" and consider chronic infection(s)!