low iron symtom?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by loto, Mar 16, 2009.

1. loto

loto Member

Hi, i CRAVE eating ice, and do it all day long! I was told that this is a symtom of being anemic. Last June when I had a CBC, it reported that I was slightly anemic - i forgot what the actual numbers were. Anyway, I never started taking iron tablets because shortly thereafter I started having stomach problems. So, does anyone know if craving and eating ice is a symptom of bein anemic, and if so, i wonder HOW much low iron i have? I'm due for more bloodwork in June.
    loto
  2. nixon

nixon New Member

In general, anemia causes extreme fatigue, pale skin, weakness, shortness of breath, headache, lightheadedness, and often cold hands and feet.

Iron deficiency anemia symptoms also may include:

Inflammation or soreness of your tongue
    Brittle nails
    Unusual cravings for non-nutritive substances, such as ice, dirt or pure starch
    Poor appetite, especially in infants and children with iron deficiency anemia
    Some people with iron deficiency anemia experience restless legs syndrome — an uncomfortable tingling or crawling feeling in your legs that's generally relieved by moving them.

If you or your child develops signs and symptoms that suggest iron deficiency anemia, see your doctor. Initially, iron deficiency anemia can be so mild that it goes unnoticed. But as the body becomes more deficient in iron and anemia worsens, the signs and symptoms intensify.

SO........I guess ice is a symptom, you aren't eating dirt are you?? LOL!! Just joking....... If you think the anemia is REALLY bad, you might go ahead and get that tested right away....you would probably feel better! Not even sure if you're feeling bad.. Andrea
  3. dannybex

dannybex Member

...you might try eating more red meat (the most digestible form of iron) or trying dessicated liver capsules. Also copper is important.

And of course it would be good to get your iron, ferritin, hemoglobin and hematocrit levels tested. That will tell you for sure if your iron levels are low.
  4. nixon

nixon New Member

Mild iron deficiency anemia usually doesn't cause complications. However, left untreated, iron deficiency anemia can become severe and lead to health problems, including the following:

Heart problems. Iron deficiency anemia may lead to a rapid or irregular heartbeat. Your heart must pump more blood to compensate for the lack of oxygen in the blood when you're anemic. In people with coronary artery disease — narrowing of the arteries that feed the heart — unchecked anemia can lead to angina. Angina is chest pain caused by decreased oxygen and blood flow to the heart muscle.
    If I were you, I'd call your doc and see if you can get the blood tests earlier.......at least the tests for anemia.......as mentioned above!
  5. anchorwoman

anchorwoman New Member

yes, craving ice is a symptom of anemia, when it is SEVERE. pls get it checked out right away, or just begin taking an iron supplement. the craving will disappear.

good luck.
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Please make sure they test your Iron STORES too...big difference in the blood work.

Hugs,

Nancy
  7. loto

loto Member

i have also noticed the soreness and inflammation of my tongue!!!! that's crazy! i didn't know what the heck was going on with that!!!!!!!! yeah, i'm not eating dirt, thank goodness!!!!! lol. just the ice thing. i also have occasional rls. i definitely haven't had a decrease in my appetite, though, and yes, it seems i have been "worn down" as usual. So, i guess i'll have to break down and make an appt with my doctor, again!! I was planning on making one for the elbow and hand problem too, so i guess i'll kill 2 birds with one stone.
    Thanks so much for replying! This has really helped me alot.
    loto
  8. loto

loto Member

thanks for telling me this symptom is when it is severe. I'm going to call for an appt today.
    loto