Low iron

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Daphne, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Daphne

Daphne New Member

I was wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with a low ferritin level? Could this be a symptom of CFS?
  2. Daphne

Daphne New Member

I was wondering if anyone else has been diagnosed with a low ferritin level? Could this be a symptom of CFS?
  3. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

before I was diagnosed w/CFIDS - It was a long time ago but is that not the iron running thru your blood (like when they prick you finger) but as my doc. explained it your 'iron warehouse'? That was 9 years ago & never gave it much thought that it was low because I had another doc prick my finger & say my iron was fine. I just got more bloodwork done & will get the results on the 30th so I'll see if its still low.........AMY
  4. granmama

granmama New Member

Hi Daphne,
    >What was your ferritin count?
    >And what other labs came back out of range?
    >What was your hemoglobin and hematocrit?
    >Did you have other iron tests, such as serum iron, TIBC, iron saturation percentage?
    >What was your red cell count?

These are all important tests to determine if you are anemic AND iron deficient that could explain possible causes.

Ferritin is your stored iron in the liver. Depending on your age, there are different lab values.

At age 49, my range was up to 150, but my Ferritin was 600. Needless to say, I had too much iron stored.
    There can be many reasons for low iron.

I have FM and not CFS, so I cannot comment if anemia or Iron deficiency is associated with CFS.
    My thoughts on this would be for your primary to explain all tests results to you and refer you on to either a gastroenterologist or hemotologist.

It could be just plain ole simple anemia and you would be prescribed iron supplements.

Please keep us informed,
    granmama