Low Lymphocytes reading. Doc says It's Nothing?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, Mar 23, 2010.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

I went to a doctors on duty today as all day I was going through my incredible fatigue and internal stress symptoms.

I couldn't shake this weakness and stress no matter what.

While there I had an EKG and it looked okay.

Doctor brought out last weeks blood tests results and only things "out of range" were homecritic( spelling) which was mildly high and then the "lymphocytes reading was 15 ot 17 when the range was 20 to 70.

I asked what that low reading was an if it meant anything and he said it didn't mean anything. Nothing to worry about.

Anyone here have a different take on this low lymphocyte reading?

I looked this up and the Mayo clinic says that if that reading stays low for many weeks then it could very well mean something.

Any ideas.

I have constant pain under the arms and through rib cage ( been complaing of this for 3 years now ) and now especially in back of ribs in mid to mid-upper back, excrutiating last 3 weeks. I am so tired every day and night no matter if I get sleep or not. I mean so tired it's scary.

Whew...been suffering for 4 years now.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Sometimes a low reading can be a sign that you have a viral infection.
  3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am hoping that your doctor make a follow up appointment to recheck your blood counts.

My ferritin is low right now and I have to get another test in three months and a follow up with him.

I don't have info. on your blood readings, however, sometimes you have to be careful about reading things into the information given on health sites, even if the site is reputable.

I remember you talking about getting some therapy. Have you done that? I had short term therapy to deal with this god awful DD and it really helps me cope. A therapist can give you good sources to get the services you need. I think it would be worth a try. If you have already done this, excuse my memory.

Take care and keep us updated.

4. victoria

victoria New Member

Has your doctor told you to come back anytime, soon?

5. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i have had a low lymphocyte reading for years now, and every dr has never said anything about it.
    it's not extremely low, but it's certainly abnormal. it's got to mean something but what i dont know.
    now the rib thing you have going on sounds like costocondroitis to me, i have that and my whole rib cage is horribly painful, especially under my arms and my sternum.
    you might look that up & see if your symptoms are the same, but they sure sound like it.
  6. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

How low have your lymphocyte readings been Kat? Are they in the "15" range like mine?
  7. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Alot of docs would say its nothing to worry about because theres probably not much they know they can do for it. It can be a sign of you get over an infection or have an infection, maybe not something to worry about, but i would ask for another test in 6 weeks time and see what its at, chronically low or high could me chronic or reactive ebv or another infection common with cfs. Alot of cfs people have immune abnormalities but its not something that they can pinpoint a diagnoses on. If you have a high temp, this could indicate a bacterial infection and a broad spectrum antibiotic might help, eg doxycycline.

Have you been diagnosed with cfs?? Have you been tested for glandular fever/ebv as well as cmv, hhv6 as these viral infections can cause immune system abnormalities. My only treatment suggestion at this stage would be to try some natural immune stimulants like astragalus, echinacea, high dose vit c plus a good multi. Maybe see an intergrative doctor.

8. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

ill have to break out my lab work, and theres tons of it. i think mine are low cause i have high ebv titers a lot, thats all i can think of and maybe thats why the dr dosent think too mch about it.
    i als have low nk cells, so i have a lot of innune system stuff goin on.
    theres a lot of costo informaton on here & other places, it's very pain ful. your cartlidge that holds your ribs in place get inflamed. it seems to be common with fibro/cfids