Low on Dopamine, Adrenaline, Serotonin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SpiroSpero, Mar 25, 2007.

1. SpiroSpero

SpiroSpero New Member

Hi all,

The results on my catecholamines just got back. I'm low on Dopamine, Adrenaline and Serotonin which perfectly fits into my picture of cognitive and behavioral disturbances.

I wonder what I should do since Dr. Cheney warned about just treating symptoms when you don't know the cause.
    Moreover he said something about dangers of Serotonin on his talk in Fort Worth last September. Does anyone remember his warning?

Who else here is low on those catecholamines and what did you do or what would you advice me to do?
    I'm looking forward to reading your answers.

Greets

Manuel
  2. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I work in a lab and used to work in the area where we did catecholamine testing. We were basically looking for high levels which are associated with pheochromocytoma a type of tumor. So, I don't know anything about low levels.

This is the only thing I could find by doing a search.

Low values
    Low values may be caused by diabetes or some nervous system problems

Doesn't say much does it! I would hazard a guess and say that a lot of us would be low in catecholamines, because of our cognitive and other problems. I know that I am low in serotonin just because I suffer from depression, and I also jerk a lot which could be low dopamine. I take an anti-d and also meds for pain (tramadol).

As far as just treating the symptoms, I think that that really is all we can do until they find out definately what is causing all of our problems.

I don't know if you have CFS or FMS or both. I only have FMS, and because I am treating the symptoms, I am living a fairly normal life, still working part-time, but that is all that I can work now, and I can't do all the things I used to do, but I have adapted and try not to think about what I have lost, as it only makes me more depressed.

Sorry I couldn't help you more, but my knowledge of catecholamines dates back more than 20 years!

Take care, Sally
  3. SpiroSpero

SpiroSpero New Member

Thanks for your answer.
    I don't have pain. Thedepression/cognitive disturbances came up soon after CFS started and I'm absoutely sure that the major part was introduced through low levels of Dopamine+Serotonin and not the other way round.
    In order to get Serotonin and Dopamine up I think Remeron could be a good choice since I'm skinny + I have sleeping problems + a lot of allergies that get better with antihistamines (I never took a strong one like Remeron).

Moreover I read that eating high quality protein improves Dopamine levels as well.
    I don't know how Adrenaline fits into the picture.[This Message was Edited on 03/26/2007]