Low on Sodium for some years?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by monom, Sep 3, 2003.

1. monom

monom Member

A doctor told me to have more salt 3 years ago,I did not listen because I thought I would get it from food.Does anybody know how important it is in Fatigue Syndrome.

Thank you as usual

Monom
  2. paulalbert

paulalbert New Member

Monom,

Without sodium, you would die!!!!!! So, in response to your question, sodium is important. The thing you have to keep in mind about sodium-- and other nutrients for that matter-- is that a body with CFIDS has a whole new set of needs. For whatever reason, your doctor suggested you need more sodium in your diet. Maybe your blood pressure is rather low?

It has taken a while for me but I have come to the realization that my body is dying for sodium. You know how I could tell? The first time I had a big bowl of soup with all the mix and 1/3 of the water, my body felt sooo good. Both your cravings to and reactions to food are significant here. Forget all the popular health pronouncements decrying salt. If your body craves soup that is what you should have (provided it has no MSG). If your body reacts negatively to cantelopue (which is high in potassium, a mineral that works against sodium), no more cantalopue for you.

The key, I think, is to get in touch with what your body is asking of you. Do a search on the net for foods high in sodium and foods high in potassium and note your reaction to each. Is there a pattern?

By the way, some people here think that sea salt is the bomb. (I myself haven't notice a difference.)

good luck,
    Paul