Low Oxalate Diet. This has helped me the most! Please look!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Prunella, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Prunella

Prunella New Member

No time to write much, but the low oxalate diet has been a lifesaver for me! This diet has helped people with vulvodynia (vulvar pain), fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, interstitial cystitis, lichen planus, nonbacterial prostritis (for the guys) and more! I get their newsletter and recently recieved their new cookbook (book two) which is amazing as they have tested more foods which makes it easier to follow the diet.

They have a website, www.thevpfoundation.org. Unfortunaltely, they don't post their list of foods there. It is in the cookbook. I also recieve their newsletter which is helpful.

There is another site that lists the Oxalate Content of Foods. It is www.ohf.org. This list is not as up to date or complete, but it is a good start. Yes, this site is about kidney stones, but it is the same diet. I also find it interesting that my dad and my brother have had kidney stones. Seems to be some kind of a link there. Either way, this is the best list on the web I could find.

You don't have to have all the symptoms above to benefit from this diet. FM alone would be a good reason to try it.

I have posted on this several times in the past with more info. Look them up by clicking my name if you want more info.

I don't have any connection the the VP Foundation. I am just really thrilled with their new book!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/06/2006]
  2. Prunella

Prunella New Member

I just looked at my bio and didn't realise I had so many posts to wade thru! My very first post was about oxalates and I know there were others where I listed some foods. I saw one about kidney stones, so I assume there would be some info there.
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I like having this info and will use it. Anne C
  4. matthewson

matthewson New Member

I have bookmarked this site and also sent it to my sister-in-law who has vulvodynia. I think this may help her a lot.

It makes a lot of sense to me that this should also help with FMS pain. I have been having high levels of pain the last week or so and I may be eating all the wrong things, thinking I am trying to eat more whole wheat, which seems to be a high oxalate food! Will give it a try, what can it hurt!

Thanks again. I learn so much from the members here.

Take care, Sally
  5. Prunella

Prunella New Member

6. BabiCati

BabiCati New Member

I sent it to my mom she has FM, IBS and lichen planus. I also printed the list out for myself, there are several things there that I have already given up due to the IBS, chocolate is the hardest.

Thanks again,

Lourdes
  7. Prunella

Prunella New Member

Could you please keep me (us) posted on how you are doing on the acid/alkaline diet vs. the low oxalate diet? There are a lot of nuts and seeds in the acid/alkaline diet so I am wondering how that would work. Nuts, seeds, soy etc. all flare up my IBS, CFS, FMS, etc. since they are high in oxalates. I try to do the low oxalate diet in a low acid kind of way. Sugar is allowed, for example, but I avoid it. I try to eat as many fresh fruits and veggies as I can. The amazing thing about this diet is that it clears up chronic diarrhea and therefore I can eat foods I couldn't eat before including more fresh fruits and veggies.

I would really like to hear how the diet is working for you.
  8. Prunella

Prunella New Member

I just looked up almonds in the new book and they are the highest nut at 120mg oxalate per 22 nuts! I hope you do OK with all those almonds!

By the way, sesame seeds are extremely high, so you might want avoid those. They are 342mg per tablespoon! Tahini should be avoided also.

Let me know how you do after eating all those almonds. I hope you don't get a reaction. I know I would!
  9. hope2001

hope2001 New Member

What are oxalates? Is that anything like PH balance and the alkaline/aciditic food thing? I am starting to learn about that in my babystepping to health..

thanks
    Hope
  10. hope2001

hope2001 New Member

someone mentioned spinach as being a high oxalate food....I LOVE raw baby spinach.. I use it instead of lettuce on sandwiches and roll a slice of meat with bunches of spinach leaves for a meat/spinach roll (try it)

is spinach one of the alkaline/acid foods too?

you can also put TONS (and I mean way more than you would think you should because it evaporates) of spinach into anything you cook, stews,spaghetti sauce, veggies and it all but disappears but the nutrients are there...
    my family never knows the difference.
  11. Prunella

Prunella New Member

I am not exactly sure what oxalates are, but foods that are high in oxalates can provoke symtoms of FM, IBS, IC and many more.

Spinach, chocolate, most nuts and seeds, beets, milk thistle, sweet potatoes, okra, stevia, soy, many dried beans, star fruit, rhubarb and buckwheat are all high in oxalates. Most grains tend to be high, too.

Yes, a lot of these seem like healthy foods and for that reason,it took me a while to actually start the diet. But when I did the results were dramatic!

I try to keep my diet as low acid as possible, but this diet is my priority.

If anyone else is doing it I would love to hear from you. It is not always easyto do and I would love to share ideas and tips with others.

Also, increasing dairy or taking calcium citrate helps. I used to take calcium citrate but find I don't need it now unless I ate a food from the very high group.

12. hope2001

hope2001 New Member

can you post a link on here? if not let me know and I will edit it out...but someone said they couldn't get a list of food except in the book, but I googled the low oxalate diet and there is a whole list of food on this link:

http://www.branwen.com/rowan/oxalate.htm
  13. Prunella

Prunella New Member

I put two links in my first post on this thread. Scroll up and take a look.

The branwen site is old. I think that is where I found out about oxalates a few years ago. The last time I looked, the list there was not updated. Many foods have been retested since then. For example, I believe strawberries are listed as high there. They are now listed as low. (Hooray!) There have been many other changes as well.

The ohf.org site is not updated either (last time I looked), but their list is much more current than the branwen site.

14. Interesting, years ago I went on weight watchers. They puched alot of fruit and veggies and OMG talk about the pain, I got vulvodynia really bad. Then I found out a bit about it and found it was what I was eating. Thanks for the threads on this. What is the name of the book you like?
    By the way I don't understand what the heck oxalates are either, but they are a killer painwise.
  15. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I missed your initial posts on oxalates and followed your advice and went to the website, but could not print the list of the foods from the more updated list.

While out searching, came across this and it seems to address some of the issues mentioned in those who replied to you.

Wish I could find and PRINT an updated list?

Hope you get many replies from folks who have tried this, it would be helpful to all to know the results.

Below is a cut and paste from an eatinghealthy web site.
    Fondly, June...........................................

Can you tell me what oxalates are and in which foods they can be found?

Introduction

Oxalates are naturally-occurring substances found in plants, animals, and in humans. In chemical terms, oxalates belong to a group of molecules called organic acids, and are routinely made by plants, animals, and humans. Our bodies always contain oxalates, and our cells routinely convert other substances into oxalates. For example, vitamin C is one of the substances that our cells routinely convert into oxalates. In addition to the oxalates that are made inside of our body, oxalates can arrive at our body from the outside, from certain foods that contain them.

Foods that contain oxalates

The following are some examples of the most common sources of oxalates, arranged by food group. It is important to note that the leaves of a plant almost always contain higher oxalate levels than the roots, stems, and stalks.

Fruits
    blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, currants, kiwi fruit, concord (purple) grapes, figs, tangerines, and plums
    Vegetables (see Table 1 for additional information)
    spinach, Swiss chard, beet greens, collards, okra, parsley, and leeks are among the most oxlate-dense vegetables
    celery, green beans, rutabagas, and summer squash would be considered moderately dense in oxalates
    Nuts and seeds
    almonds, cashews, and peanuts
    Legumes
    soybeans, tofu and other soy products
    Grains
    wheat bran and germ
    Other
    cocoa, chocolate, and black tea
    Oxalates and health

Conditions that require strict oxalate restriction

There are a few, relatively rare health conditions that require strict oxalate restriction. These conditions include absorptive hypercalciuria type II, enteric hyperoxaluria, and primary hyperoxaluria. Dietary oxalates are usually restricted to 50 milligrams per day under these circumstances. (Please note: these relatively rare health conditions are different than a more common condition called nephrolithiasis in which kidney stones are formed, 80% from calcium and oxalate). What does 50 milligrams of oxalate look like in terms of food? One cup of raw spinach in leaf form (not chopped) weighs about one ounce, and contains about 200 milligrams of oxalate, so 50 milligrams for the day would permit a person to consume only 1/4 cup of raw spinach (and no other oxalate sources could be eaten during the day).

Oxalates and kidney stones

The formation of kidney stones containing oxalate is an area of controversy in clinical nutrition with respect to dietary restriction of oxalate. About 80% of kidney stones formed by adults in the U.S. are calcium oxalate stones. It is not clear from the research, however, that restriction of dietary oxalate helps prevent formation of calcium oxalate stones in individuals who have previously formed such stones. Since intake of dietary oxalate accounts for only 10-15% of the oxalate that is found in the urine of individuals who form calcium oxalate stones, many researchers believe that dietary restriction cannot significantly reduce risk of stone formation.

In addition to the above observation, recent research studies have shown that intake of protein, calcium, and water influence calcium oxalate affect stone formation as much as, or more than intake of oxalate. Finally, some foods that have traditionally been assumed to increase stone formation because of their oxalate content (like black tea) actually appear in more recent research to have a preventive effect. For all of the above reasons, when healthcare providers recommend restriction of dietary oxalates to prevent calcium oxalate stone formation in individuals who have previously formed stones, they often suggest “limiting” or “reducing” oxalate intake rather than setting a specific milligram amount that should not be exceeded. “Reduce as much as can be tolerated” is another way that recommendations are often stated.

The effect of cooking on oxalates

Cooking has a relatively small impact on the oxalate content of foods. Repeated food chemistry studies have shown no statistically significant lowering of oxalate content following the blanching or boiling of green leafy vegetables. A lowering of oxalate content by about 5-15% is the most you should expect when cooking a high-oxalate food. It does not make sense to overcook oxalate-containing foods in order to reduce their oxalate content. Because many vitamins and minerals are lost from overcooking more quickly than are oxalates, the overcooking of foods (particularly vegetables) will simply result in a far less nutritious diet that is minimally lower in oxalates.

Practical tips

For the vast majority of individuals who have not experienced the specific problems described above, oxalate-containing foods should not be a health concern. Under most circumstances, high oxalate foods like spinach can be eaten raw or cooked and incorporated into a weekly or daily meal plan as both baby spinach and mature, large leaf spinach can both make healthy additions to most meal plans. In short, the decision about raw versus cooked or baby versus mature leaf spinach or other oxalate-containing vegetables, for example, should be a matter of personal taste and preference for most individuals.

Table 1
    Raw Vegetable Oxalate content
    milligrams per 100 gram serving
    Spinach 750
    Beet greens 610
    Okra 146
    Parsley 100
    Leeks 89
    Collard greens 74

Adapted from the following sources: (1) United States Department of Agriculture, Human Nutrition Information Service, Agriculture Handbook Number 8-11, "Composition of Foods: Vegetables and Vegetable Products." Revised August 1984; (2) data gathered by LithoLink Corporation, a metabolic testing and disease management service for kidney stone patients, founded by Dr. Fredric Coe, a University of Chicago Medical School Professor, and posted on its website at www.litholink.com; (3)data presented by Holmes RP and Kennedy M. (2000). Estimation of the oxalate content of foods and daily oxalate intake. Kidney International(4):1662.

16. why these oxalates bother some and not others. Unfortunately I am one of the unlucky ones. Just like yeast infections, my sister has had one in her life, and me well I am lucky not to have one. Life's just not fair sometime.
  17. bump for prunella, if you are on this board anymore?