Low Oxalate Recovery Story

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HeidiS, Aug 29, 2011.

1. HeidiS

HeidiS New Member

I've been selectively reading through some old posts and wanted to join your group so I could add my recovery story.

I was diagnosed with vulvar pain syndrome about 22 years ago and fibromyalgia about 17 years ago. I was also diagnosed with Reynauld's syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (I think this was a misdiagnosis), severe allergies, chronic yeast (also a misdiagnoses), burning mouth syndrome and hypoglycemia/blood sugar issues. I also had some chemical sensitivities, skin issues, and intestinal issues. In general, I was a mess and couldn't work or play much.

I started the low oxalate diet after joining the Vulvar Pain Foundation (19 years ago). The low oxalate diet has been a huge part of my healing journey! I am now 80% recovered from my vulvar pain symptoms, and 100% recovered from my fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, intestinal, mouth and eye symptoms. I have no pain in my joints or muscles anymore, except in the site of an old knee injury, and I have lots of energy to chase my 3-year-old twins and pursue a Ph.D. in environmental economics.

During my recovery I also started a controlled carbohydrate diet (still follow) where I eat very low on the glycemic index and make sure I have a 30-30-40 balance of protein, fat, and carbs at each meal. I also was on gauifenesin for about ten years during my recovery and am positive it helped me, although I'm not convinced it helped me in the way it was supposed to. I take calcium citrate and Vitamin B6 which support a low oxalate protocol, but I take no medications and haven't taken any since about two years into the diet.

I can't tell you for sure what role gauifenesin played in my recovery, but I can tell you that the low oxalate diet and the controlled carbohydrate diet were very important--so much so that I'm committed to this way of eating for life.

If you do try a low oxalate diet, please know that it is a recovery of months and years, not days. I saw some relief in my vulvar pain symptoms within a few weeks, but most of my healing happened slowly over about six years. Also, please get the most up-to-date information on oxalates. A lot of info on the web is out-of-date. The Vulvar Pain Foundation is a good source of information as is the Autism Research Institute's Oxalate Project (and the Trying Low Oxalates Yahoo Group). My blog has links to these sites and to others in the FAQ page if you wish to read more about oxalates and the low oxalate diet (http://lowoxalatefamily.wordpress.com).

Good luck on your healing journey. I wish all of you the best and hope each one of you finds emotional, spiritual and physical healing soon.

2. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

Thanks for the info