Low Oxygen Levels at Night, Anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Feb 12, 2007.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Just wondering if any of you have low oxygen levels at night, if so what is your Dx.. Mine are around 83-85 for about a 3 hr period then range higher.. Went for a sleep study, no sleep apena but I didn't sleep very well so the study is inconclusive..

I have an appointment with my doc in a few days but was wondering if this could be part of CFS..

Anyone know what normal oxygen levels are suppose to be while sleeping?

Thanks for any input,
    greatgran

2. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

Yep, I just had the oximeter test done a couple months ago. My oxygen levels were pretty low the entire night, with lots of desaturations. I think I averaged about 85 for the night but spent a lot of time in the low 80's, even dipping into the high 70's for a good amount of time, too. I think the highest I went was 94...but only spent a little bit of time in the 90's.

Oxygen DOES go down at night for everybody. But it should only fall a few numbers down. My understanding from what I've read is that in the 90's are good numbers. Below 88 or so are when red flags go up - especially if a person stays in that range for any period of time.

There are many things that can cause this...sleep apnea being one of the main things. But also certain meds can cause this, too. Narcotics can make your oxygen levels go down. I've been on a hefty load of narcotics for awhile, though (over three years) - and have just been having this oxygen thing for the past year or so. I don't think that's what is causing mine.

Anyway, I do have a sleep study ordered. My doctor thinks that if I do have sleep apnea - it's the non-obstructive kind, meaning something in my brain is causing it instead of some "obstruction". I'll let you know my results are after I have it.

So...I'll be curious to see if anyone else here has this, too.

I definitely know it is NOT helping my situation. I wake up each morning feeling like I've been hit by a truck. Do you feel this way?

Look forward to talking more! --Tina
  3. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

Bumping for greatgran :)
  4. greatgran

greatgran Member

Tina, thank you so much for your reply..I got a call from my doc's office and they want me to have another sleep study..Are you on oxygen at night? They want me to be on oxygen at night until they find out what is wrong. When I had my sleep study, my oxygen level didn't go below 87 and then only for a brief period of time..I can't help but feel they have it in their heads that I have obstructive sleep apena and I just don't seem to have the symptoms..Please keep me posted as to your out come..

Huck, thanks for the info..I sure hope it isn't COPD, but if the sleep study shows up negative again I certainly want to get to the bottom of this..Great info..

God Bless,
    greatgran