Low Potassium ???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Jun 21, 2008.

1. I had a recent blood test and it showed I needed to take potassium pills. I didn't get to talk with the dr. yet, it was a phone call by her nurse.

But my question is can this be causing alot of extra pain I have been having do you know?

The old wives tale used to be eat bananas, but they said no I need potassium pills.
  2. zoey2006

zoey2006 New Member

I had to go to the ER a couple of months back. I was in severe pain and was told that low potassium does in deed cause painful muscle spasms especially in people with FM.
    I was given IV potassium and pain killers . Once my levels went up I started to feel better. This and thyroid levels being off will raise our pain levels significantly as will low magnesium. I hope you feel better.
  3. erinwilburn

erinwilburn New Member

You might want to google Addisons disease. My Dad was 1st dx with FM but then had to go to the ER because of pain from almost no potassium and was later dx with AD. And I have read a few places that it is one of the many diseases FM mimics. There are a lot of great products out there to help your levels and you have to be very carful about overheating your body.
  4. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

levels can be a sign of a burned out adrenal gland. Cortisol produced by the adrenals is a regulator of potassium levels. Cortisol also has anti inflammatory effects which help to reduce pain, and it also gives us energy.