LOW Sed Rate?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by j_in_ga, Sep 23, 2002.

1. j_in_ga

j_in_ga New Member

I noticed an earlier post on high sed rates. My question is what about low rates? I was diagnosed in July with cfs/fm. In March I had extensive tests done, one of which was the sed rate which came back as "1". Anyone with any ideas on the relationship of a sed rate of "1" to cfs/fm? Is this a supposed indicator of good health? On my good days I feel like crap and on my bad days........total wash-outs.
  2. j_in_ga

j_in_ga New Member

I noticed an earlier post on high sed rates. My question is what about low rates? I was diagnosed in July with cfs/fm. In March I had extensive tests done, one of which was the sed rate which came back as "1". Anyone with any ideas on the relationship of a sed rate of "1" to cfs/fm? Is this a supposed indicator of good health? On my good days I feel like crap and on my bad days........total wash-outs.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Are an indication of inflamation. Our illnesses are not inflamatory in nature. This does not mean that they cannot produce secondary inflamation in the body and that is why we sometimes get relief from NSAID's.

Love, Mikie
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I did read where an alternative M.D. was saying that a sed rate below 10 is just as unhealthy as an overly high one. Conventional doctors would not agree. I also read that people with CFS often have sed rates below 10. I don't know about FMS,. but I have FMS and my sed rate was 5 up until last year. Now it is 12.
    I think I may have read this in the many files on CFS at www.mercola.com, or in the book Osler's Web, which is the alll-time classic book on CFS. Not sure and don't know any more than that. Sorry I couldn't be of more help,
    Klutzo
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Zero to thirty is considered normal.

Love, Mikie
  6. norris2

norris2 New Member

Probably have blood coagulation and need heparin therapy.

(Edited by Moderator)

7. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I am not sure about low sed rate, but I have experienced high SED rate for months. It is an indication of inflammation in the body. It is used in diagnosing things like Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus, and Familial Mediterranean Fever which I have. The Rheumotologist put me on colchicine (which is used in treating gout) and that did bring it (SED rate) more into a normal range. At one time my SED rate was in the 50s.