Low Sodium?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by finnigan1229, Oct 14, 2005.

1. finnigan1229

finnigan1229 New Member

I ended up in the ER over the summer and one of my problems was extrememly low sodium (124 and should have been at least 135). I have been testing weekly now and My Dr. just keeps telling me to add more salt to my diet - there are only so many things you can salt!! Just wondering if any one else is having this problem?
  2. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

Do you also have low blood pressure? I do, and it usually is really low when my salt intake is nil. However, I can't have too much salt because I swell up like a baloon.
  3. finnigan1229

finnigan1229 New Member

I do have blood pressure problems - but not low. Actually that was why I ended up in the ER. BP jumped to 200/150 or something like that. How do you treat it?
  4. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

You should see an endocrinologist and ask for testing for SIADH and hyponatremia. The main treatment is usually water restriction, but you need to have it diagnosed by a competent doctor who understand the condition since there can be a couple of causes.

You can do a search for "SIADH eMedicine" to read more about it.

Jan
  5. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I was shocked to learn I also have low sodium last time my bloodwork was done. I crave and eat salt constantly. But I do drink tons of water.
  6. finnigan1229

finnigan1229 New Member

According to several of my doctors - since I have low sodium, drinking a lot of water is absolutely the worst thing to do as it leaches the sodium out of your system. I have been told not to drink free-water. I can have juice, coffee, pop anything like that - just not plain water . . . go figure.
  7. lilione

lilione New Member

MD said it was due to the meds I was taking and not worry about it. I haven't had any real problems with it.
    Good Luck, Lili
  8. LakeErie

LakeErie New Member

I also ended up in ER for low sodium 2 times! Finally found the problem was med called trileptal.

I ended up needing sodium pills. They are nasty tasting,but do work.