Low Stomach Acid

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by frosty77, Dec 19, 2007.

1. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

Anyone diagnosed with low stomach acid? For years I was diagnosed as having GERD - now gastro Dr thinks it may be low stomach acid instead. Here's some of the symptoms:

• Bloating, belching, immediately after meals
    • Indigestion, diarrhea, or constipation
    • Soreness, burning or dryness of the mouth
    • Heartburn
    • Multiple food allergies
    • Feeling nauseous after taking supplements
    • Rectal itching
    • Weak, peeling and cracked fingernails
    • Redness or dilated blood vessels in the cheeks
    • Adult acne
    • Hair loss in women
    • Iron deficiency
    • Undigested food in the stools
    • Chronic yeast infections
    • Low tolerance for dentures
    • Reflux
    • Fullness after meal
    • Always hungry
    • The sensation of a heavy weight in the stomach

I have all of these so I'm thinking gastro Dr is correct. But what can I take for it??? Any ideas?
  2. NicolaG2

NicolaG2 New Member

I had this undiagnosed all through my teens and early 20s. Reappeared when first ill with M.E. and again this relapse. I had most of your symptoms, plus was very thin and pale and had to nap each day. 24 hrs of taking the tablets took away all the digestive/intestional symptoms and 1 week later everyone was commenting on how I had color in my face and appeared to have put on a few pounds. Basically, I spent 15 years suffering from malnutrition. Incidently, every doctor I saw told me it was IBS. Not suprising not suprising IBS treatments didn't help. I've been told it is quite commone in M.E./CFS.

Buy some good digestive enzyme tablets to take with eachmeal from Whole Foods or any quality health store and this will do the trick from you. Hopefully you will see and feel a huge difference quickly.

I find after taking them for a few months that it seems to fix the problem and I can stop taking them.
  3. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Frosty,
    I was just hit with an acid problem 3 wks ago after having 0 problems all these yrs. before. After doing a bunch of research on the internet I've found that most people with autoimmune problems actually have LOW stomach acid.

According to Dr. Cheney the reason for this is poor heart function causing low oxygen levels in the stomach and intestines causing an ischemic based low acid enviroment.

Trouble is most gastro docs will dx people with GERD and give Nexium, ect. When you give nexium and turn off the acid especially when your low acid to begin with you create a condition where you get bacterial overgrowth.

You need stomach acid! It kills bacteria and helps digest your food. When you turn that off, not only are you not killing the bacteria but your NOT digesting your food, so that your not getting nutrients and causing leaky gut.

This is how I've been treating my low stomach acid. I make a apple cidar vinegar drink- 1T. raw honey- 2 tsp. braggs apple cidar vinegar- 8 oz. water. Before each meal I take a digestive multi enzyme. Then after my meal I have the apple cidar drink. I also take a probiotic first thing in the morn before breakfast. I quit eating any food that produces gas like broccoli, cabbage, onion, ect. I've cut out all tomato products, caffine and booze.

3 wks. ago I couldn't barely eat for all the pain. Now I can actually eat without any problems as long as I'm careful.

Hope this helps. Take care.
  4. jess

jess New Member

you have low stomach acid especially from proton pump inhibitors but you have Barretts esophagus and can't have any acid in that area. This is my problem. I tried to get off Prilosec but the rebound is terrible and the acid was coming up where it shouldn't be. I also have hiatal hernia which makes everything worse. I tried so many different alternatives but nothing seemed to work.
    I tried Gucatonga, DGL, Potters acidosis, digest RC, esophaguard and a host of others with negative results. ANyone have similar circumstances? Jess
  5. homebod

homebod New Member

I have had low stomach acid since I have had fibro. I need to take HCl with pepsin before each meal. If I don't, I just don't digest anything and have gas, etc.
  6. kbak

kbak Member

Your problem is a little more difficult, and needs more knowledge than I have. It's a real damned if I do, damned if I don't situation. Hope someone else has some knowledge on this.

7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Several years ago my chiropractor who does muscle testing diganosed my low stomach acid. I had been having recurring gallbladder problems, trouble digesting food, etc. I started taking digestive enzymes with hydrochloric acid and it improved my digestion tremendously.

I've been taking it for several years now and my digestion is good.

The kind I take is from Puritan's Pride on-line, called Digestabs. I take about 2 with each meal.

I have heard it is pretty common for doctors to get it backwards, to say you have excess stomach acid when the opposite is true.

8. 545

545 New Member

The worst it that sometimes it doesn't feel like food registers. Like I can eat as much food as I want, but I won't get the nutrition.

What's helped the most are:

Eating simple foods. In particular, no fiber, and fewer foods with wheat. Basically, anything that seems like it can be digested easily.

Watering down juice before I drink it. I got this suggestion from Elaine Gottschall's book on the Simple Carbohydrate Diet, it makes the juice easier to digest. Usually I use seltzer instead of water, but it can definitely help.

Eating ghee, at least once daily, a type of clarified Indian butter. I have a bunch of previous comments about using ghee you can find through a search.

Lastly I've found it helpful to eat bitter/spicy foods sometimes, recently I've been experimenting with really hot salsa. This I read helps get the stomach ready for digestion (no wonder chips and salsa work so well as an appetizer), and it often seems to work well with me. If you do try it, note that you have to switch between different types of hot salsa, because you can definitely grow a tolerance to specific types. Also note that the tomato base can cause me to have some mild gerd if I eat it too soon to taking my antibiotics.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/19/2007]
  9. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

Thanks everyone - I will definitely be trying the suggestions made!!
  10. gemcrazy

gemcrazy New Member

My husband takes Betaine Hydrochloride 600 mg with pepsin for his low acid stomach. Over the counter supplement and taken 1/2 hour before meals. Works like a charm.
  11. bct

bct Active Member

I have the same questions you do regarding Barrett's, PPI's.

I was diag. with Barrett's in 2005, a very mild case. I was put on Prevacid. I had an endoscopy a few months ago, showing that there was no longer any sign of Barrett's. My doc tells me to keep on the Prevacid. The docs. all seem surprised that the Barrett's is gone.

I take five capsules of green tea extract (Polyphenols and catechins in it) daily. I also drink a licorice-type tea called Throat Coat, and eat ginger daily for my stomach.

My doc. seem's to think low stomach acid is no problem for me. I have a licenced naturopath to see, so will ask him.

12. jess

jess New Member

Hi BCT, my barrets is not always present on my yearly endoscopies. They still want me on PPI's. I also take ginger everyday. My digestion is not so great. I have slow gastic emptying sometimes so I can't have too much fiber. Veggies need to be steamed. I take liquid vitamins and liqid supplements if I can find them. I can't take tablets. Please let me know what you're Dr. says about this. I would appreciate it. I can't get any answers from mine other then take the PPI's. Thanks, Jess
  13. behooved

behooved New Member

I think I may have low stomach acid, I have a lot of those symptoms.

GI doc thinks it's IBS, and wont even consider low stomach acid as he insists that I'm too young and it's impossible to have this problem at my age (I'm 25). Is that true?

How do you test for it anyway? Can it be measured from an endoscopy?
  14. 545

545 New Member

I definitely don't think that you're too young for this - I'm 24, and I've experienced many of the symptoms that the immunesupport article discusses are tied to low stomach acid. I particularly experienced these symptoms around the onset of my CFS, so I found that article particularly interesting.

I have not been diagnosed with this problem; and right now I suspect that my doctor is likely to see it as a side-problem due to "probable lyme", or perhaps to toxic mold. However, in response to your doctor telling you that you're too young for this problem, well, you're too young for CFS to begin with! I'd say that that trumps his argument.

Moreover, as doctors like to think, you can't argue with objective scientific evidence; and that study seems to provide good evidence that low stomach acid underlies some or many of our problems. Since this is the first time I've seen this considered as a factor in CFS, you just might have some good luck treating it - it's cutting edge in my view.
  15. bct

bct Active Member

I am on a VERY high fiber diet due to diverticulosis. I am surprised that you have to have yearly endos. if your Barrett's is so mild..... may I ask why?

Barry (CFS)

16. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

There actually are a couple tests for low (or high) stomach acid thatdoctors can perform - not usre if they will though. One is Heidelberg Stomach Acid Test.

One I read recently, probably on this board, is to add a tsp of baking soda to a glass of water and drink it first thing in the morning (before anything is in your stomach). If you do not burp within 5 minutes, you probably have low stomach acid.
  17. LonelyHearts

LonelyHearts New Member

18. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

My roomie thinks she has GERD: just last week I got her a bag
    of frozen pineapple chunks and defrost 4-5 of them for her to
    eat before or as she eats a meal.

She has not had any GERD since.

Pineapple has betaine in it.

Simple test; simple answer.

19. elliespad

elliespad Member

Low Stomach Acid could be a result of low Salt intake. Unrefined Sea Salt, would be gray in color, and is full of trace minerals. This type of salt could help in producing more stomach acid.

20. LonelyHearts

LonelyHearts New Member