low stomach acid

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by street129, Sep 18, 2009.

1. street129

street129 New Member

i took 2 sleeping pill, im not even asleep or sleepy yet, unbelievable, maybe its cause its day time i dont know,

anyway, my question, anyone ever heard of low stomach acid, i read, using salt help with producing stomach acid, as i got older i completed took salt out of my diet, because i have high cloestraol, but im now low in stomach acid, im waiting to go to my alternative dr, for my result on that, in oct 1st. but in the mean time, i was wondering if this board has any knowledge on it. thanks guys. you have been a great help to me, i come here daily cause, i feel at home here, and a day never goes by without coming here. its my first stop on the web.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/18/2009]
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Can't help with your question, but just thought I would say 'hello' and to give you a bump back to the top of the board, hopefully someone can help you.

By the way, I have had the problem with meds to sleep, sometimes they seem to work backwards........

Shalom, Shirl
  3. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, street129.

Low stomach acid seems to be a common problem in CFS. I'm not sure what causes it. In the past, I've suggested that it's due to low ATP production in the parietal cells of the stomach. It takes a lot of ATP to drive the gastric proton pump, which moves hydrogen ions into the stomach against a big concentration gradient, to make hydrochloric acid. Low glutathione in these cells could cause a partial block in the Krebs cycle, lowering the ATP production.

Another possibility is low zinc, because zinc is needed in the gene expression of the gastric proton pump.

The connection with salt would be to supply the chloride part of the hydrochloric acid. I suppose that if there was a serious deficiency of chloride, this would impact the acid production also, but I think there would be other problems as well. Chloride is one of the main electrolytes in the blood, and it's present in many natural as well as processed foods, so it's probably hard to go low on it.

Some people take dilute hydrochloric acid as a supplement to replace their stomach acid. Allergy Research Group sells a diluted form of hydrochloric acid which one dilutes further for this purpose.

Some people take betaine HCl pills, which release hydrochloric acid in the stomach. The usual procedure is to add one pill at a time with meals until there is a warm feeling in the stomach, and then to back off by one pill and hold that dosage for each meal.

Some people use lemon juice. It's important to use a drinking straw and to flush the teeth afterward, because the citric acid in lemon juice can damage the enamel on the teeth.

Some people use apple cider vinegar, but it is not as acidic as the other choices.

Having acid in the stomach is important for several reasons:

1. It kills bacteria and yeast that come in with the food, and thus prevent them from overgrowing the intestine. Unfortunately, many people with CFS already have dysbiosis and a yeast infection in the gut, and the loss of protection from the stomach acid keeps this going.

2. It begins the digestion of protein by converting pepsinogen into pepsin.

3. It releases vitamin B12 from protein, so that it can eventually combine with intrinsic factor and be absorbed toward the bottom end of the small intestine (the terminal ileum). Low acid can produce B12 deficiency, and this is a particular problem in CFS because of the methylation cycle block, which is caused by insufficient B12 function, at least according to the GD-MCB hypothesis.

4. It causes minerals in the food to become dissolved, so that they can be absorbed. This is important for iron and calcium especially. Not having acid can produce deficiencies.

5. It signals the pancreas to secrete digestive juices (including enzymes) into the duodenum (first part of the small intestine) when food arrives there from the stomach (mixed with acid). If this signal is not sent, the food is not properly digested and absorbed, and it feeds the unhelpful bacteria in the gut, leading to other problems with the gut, including leaky gut syndrome.

There is a simple test for stomach acid: On an empty stomach, drink a glass of water into which you have dissolved one quarter teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Look at a clock or your watch, and time how long it takes for you to burp. If you don't burp within two minutes, your stomach acid is low.

Best regards,

4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

H. Pylori is also the number 1 cause of most stomach ulcers, the body reacts to the infection by lowering stomach acid (HCL).

The most natural anti H. Pylori agent is Tumeric (curcumin). Its used in curry spice.