low vitamin D levels

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by faithinlove, Jul 16, 2009.

1. faithinlove

faithinlove New Member

I have recently read that persons with FM and CFS all have a low vitamin D consistently. The news says that 90 percent of people with these conditions suffer from this.
    If anyone has heard about this please share some info with me.
    thank to all, I hope all of you are having some good days.
    blessings,
    Faith
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

there has been a ton of stuff posted on here about that....try searching the site & you should get a lot
  3. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

have low Vit D--best kind to take is D3--it is absorped the best in our bodies. low levels can also cause depression
  4. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

It's sort of a never ending cycle. You get sick, you're too ill to go out alot, so you aren't getting the sunlight. Many of us can't drink milk or have other dairy products much because they bug our stomachs. So right there, we are not even getting the D from milk. Even people who are not as sick who can work, tend to work indoors and don't get the sunlight.

I take shitake mushroom extract and that helps with it. Shitake has the highest level of vitamin D in the world. It seems to help me more than just a plain vitamin D supplement.
  5. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

Hi Faith ...

its good to see you posting , I hope you are having better days... Has your Flare let up on you ?
    my latest Flare lasted about 2 1/2 months. or closer to 3 months all Summer long. the heat has a bad affect on me.
    My Doc put me on Vit D 3 .. . I have read that a low Vit D 3 level can increase our pain levels and our pain Meds wont work as well...

I searched the web for you and found this.. link: http://www.drugs.com/mtm/vitamin-d3.html

What is cholecalciferol?
    Cholecalciferol is a vitamin D3. Vitamin D is important for the absorption of calcium from the stomach and for the functioning of calcium in the body.

Cholecalciferol is used to treat or prevent many conditions caused by a lack of vitamin D, especially conditions of the skin or bones.

Cholecalciferol may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

What is the most important information I should know about cholecalciferol?
    Do not use this medication if you have ever had an allergic reaction to vitamin D, or if you have high levels of calcium or vitamin D in your blood, or if you have any condition that makes it hard for your body to absorb nutrients from food (malabsorption).
    Before taking cholecalciferol, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have heart disease, kidney disease, or an electrolyte imbalance.

Do not take other vitamin or mineral supplements unless your doctor has told you to.
    Avoid using calcium supplements or antacids without your doctor's advice. Use only the specific type of supplement or antacid your doctor recommends. Tell your doctor about all your prescription and over-the-counter medications, vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start a new medication without telling your doctor.

Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have used too much of this medicine. An overdose of vitamin D can cause serious or life-threatening side effects.
    Overdose symptoms may include headache, weakness, drowsiness, dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, constipation, muscle or bone pain, metallic taste in the mouth, weight loss, itchy skin, changes in heart rate, loss of interest in sex, confusion, unusual thoughts or behavior, severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, or fainting.

What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking cholecalciferol?
    Do not use this medication if you have ever had an allergic reaction to vitamin D, or if you have:
    high levels of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia);

high levels of vitamin D in your body (hypervitaminosis D); or

any condition that makes it hard for your body to absorb nutrients from food (malabsorption).

Before taking cholecalciferol, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have:

heart disease;

kidney disease; or

an electrolyte imbalance.

If you have any of these conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take this medication.

its good info .. I can't seem to find anything about Vit D 3 and Fibro or CFS... maybe I just can't search today .. I have those days... Fog days.. I'm sure you know how this is..

Good to see you on the board.. Take care.

Huggles. Spirit ~