Low Vitamin D

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Aug 13, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Just got a call from the immunologist I saw a week ago, no allergies but my vitamin D is low. Not sure what type of test she did but my level was 17 which she said the norms were 20 to 57. I am to get an appointment with my PC, oh more doctors.

I have been taking Vit. D and its still low so will follow up.

I went to the immunolologist thinking all my head fullness, sinusitus or whatever could be allergy related. She did not do the food allergy testing so wants me to come back for that. Think I will just stop eating.

Anyone know about the types of vit. D and the labs ?

Thanks and God Bless,

2. greatgran

greatgran Member

I think she said my vitamin D test was a something 25 test of vit. D 2 and 3 does that sound right?

[This Message was Edited on 08/13/2008]
  3. charlenef

charlenef New Member

mine is 25 my dr gave me 50000ui of d but im going to stick with 1000 a day for now my stomach bothers me too uch
  4. meditationlotus

meditationlotus New Member

been reading is that the best source of vitamin D is the sun. Researchers are suggesting 10 min. of exposure to the sun per day is enough to ensure adequate amounts of vitamin D and IS BETTER UTILIZED BY THE BODY THAN ANY ORAL FORM.

They say to limit exposure to morning and later afternoon during the summer when the sun is intense. The rest of the year, any time is okay.

I find that when I do this everyday, if feel so much better, even less depressed. Problem is, too many mesquitos in my yard.

Hope you doctor is familiar with the studies and will suggest this to you. Wish I could remember the websites, but I don't.

Good luck,
  5. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

I'm hearing more and more about the vitamin D famine.

Without being tested, I just started taking Vitamin D. I was working nights at the time and had been for years--didn't even have incidental sun exposure.

I have to say it's been a little over a year since I started taking it and my flares are fewer and farther between...that may be due to many other factors and things I'm "trying" but the time line for feeling better and vitamin D therapy are very close.

Love and hugs.

6. tennisnut

tennisnut New Member

Hi there
    For what it's worth I tried Vit D on two occasions and both times I felt quite sick - so there's another pricey jar sitting in the fridge. I'm a jailbird white (not a very healthy white). I probably get a trace in my Multi-vit.

People on the Marshall Protocol are deprived of Vit D and especially from the sun, during their period of treatment. It's seems to me that not all of us with this illness can tolerate it.
  7. glenpr

glenpr New Member

I take my vitamin D and Calcium with meals and not close to any other medications, this came with the instructions.

love glen